• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
Mar 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all,

1) I’m wondering for Canadian residency programs such as derm, ophthalmology, and neurosurg, what are the main things to focus on during medical school in order to match since there is no step 1 usmle etc. Is it mostly CV, elective rotations, and research? For example, derm has under 50% match rate so how do they decide on this?

2) For example I am really interested in doing neurosurgery and have been doing research and will continue to do research with neurosurgery profs at my medical school, however, match rate I believe was around 70% or lower last few years, if I do not match, is there any chance I could take a research year or do a PhD Or something to apply again and match? Or is basically if you don’t match first time around it’s over.
Thank you!

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.