Canadian Acfd Eligibility Exam Thread 2

Started by tinman831
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The last thread has been closed due to the discussion of remembered questions on the exam. Remember that you are not permitted to discuss exam questions per the non disclosure clause you sign when taking it. Any future posts discussing remembered questions will be deleted and the user infracted. This will be your only warning.
 
I read in Pickard and shillingburg that for endodontically treated teeth the ferrule effect is the most important when it comes to retention and core build up.
 
I read in Pickard and shillingburg that for endodontically treated teeth the ferrule effect is the most important when it comes to retention and core build up.


I am not saying ferrule is not important. I am assuming that there is an adquate ferrule because the question says there is adequate structure of tooth remaining. However, even if there is a ferrule if it does not have a high contrast with the dentin of the tooth and you can't distinguish which is which how would you know for sure you are not placing the margin on resin ??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi To Every body i am from Surrey BC area, I am going to open an practise center where any body can practise for the clinical exam on the maniquin with simulation unit. I will provide every thing for practise like, typhodont, teeth, handpiece, dental material like composite and Amalgam for filling, rubber dam for practice etc. Any body intrested just contact me.
[email protected]
 
Last edited:
and yes i observe a dentist here time and again and she doesnt use any different resin like a high contrast one for cores..it is the same thing yet they will make sure there is some tooth structure like a ferrule to support the build up,the whole thing is even if i read it from the book they say that as long as there is adequate ferrule it doesn't matter which ever material u use amalgam or resin becoz in either case u need that ferrule for the coreto be a success.
 
and yes i observe a dentist here time and again and she doesnt use any different resin like a high contrast one for cores..it is the same thing yet they will make sure there is some tooth structure like a ferrule to support the build up,the whole thing is even if i read it from the book they say that as long as there is adequate ferrule it doesn't matter which ever material u use amalgam or resin becoz in either case u need that ferrule for the coreto be a success.


this question is not properly formulated, it is confusing and I was assuming at first that as long as it has adequate structure left it also has the ferrule.. anyways, I am going to choose the ferrule too, as the most important thing you see before placing a core.
fixed prosthodontics by Fujimoto though mentions the contrast color as very important...but for now I will stick with ferrule too
 
btw if anyone is interested in bying stuff for the clinical practice i have some suppliers who sell portable stuff and they have monthly plans for payments too.if uanyone is intrested u can ge the number from me.
 
contraction of lateral pterygoid muscle pulls the disc of the TMJ
a. forward and medially
b.backward and medially
c.forward and laterally
d.backward and laterally
e.None of the above

pls answer this question with a reference.
 
I think the right answer is a. high contrast between composite resin and tooth. I am assuming adequate tooth structure means that there is the adequate ferrule.

Leda,
I think adequate tooth structure is not equal to adequate ferrule.
I would say adequate tooth sructure means, that we don't need a post.
 
I am not saying ferrule is not important. I am assuming that there is an adquate ferrule because the question says there is adequate structure of tooth remaining. However, even if there is a ferrule if it does not have a high contrast with the dentin of the tooth and you can't distinguish which is which how would you know for sure you are not placing the margin on resin ??

What would you do in a situation you described?
If there is remaining composite of tooth color and you cannot distinguish them? Do you remove the composite to see how much tooth structure is left? (How do you remove it if not distinguishable?)
I think it is not difficult to tell the difference between the dentin and composite, even if the shade is very similar.
And if you are forced to place the margin on resin doesn't it mean that the ferrule is not adequate?
 
contraction of lateral pterygoid muscle pulls the disc of the TMJ
a. forward and medially👍
b.backward and medially
c.forward and laterally
d.backward and laterally
e.None of the above

pls answer this question with a reference.

I don't have a reference, but it seems logical. How did you answered this Q?
 
see everyone i ask says the same but when i read the books all of the tmj books say that the disc only travels forward and downward it cannot move medially.I am confused abt this question.
 
What would you do in a situation you described?
If there is remaining composite of tooth color and you cannot distinguish them? Do you remove the composite to see how much tooth structure is left? (How do you remove it if not distinguishable?)
I think it is not difficult to tell the difference between the dentin and composite, even if the shade is very similar.
And if you are forced to place the margin on resin doesn't it mean that the ferrule is not adequate?

I have the same thoughts abt this question,i think it is not that difficult to distinguish between resin and dentin.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Assuming there is adequate tooth structure remaining composite resin can be used as a core material for endodontically treated teeth to be crowned provided
a. the resin has a high contrast colour with the tooth sturcture
b. there is an adequate ferrule--- i would choose this any suggestions.
c. the resin autopolymerizing
d. subsequent crown margins are not located on cementum

I think they say that there is adequate tooth structure meaning that there is no need for a dowel (post). I would say the correct answer es B, because if we have an adequate tooth structure and the core is anchored by extending into the coronal aspect of the canal (pulp canal) we only need the ferrule (2mm)
 
contraction of lateral pterygoid muscle pulls the disc of the TMJ
a. forward and medially
b.backward and medially
c.forward and laterally
d.backward and laterally
e.None of the above

pls answer this question with a reference.

In this question I just focus in the muscle, and this muscle origins from a more medial aspect than its insertion, so when it contracts it brings the disc forward and medially. That is why we can make lateral mandibular movements with this muscle. Does this make sense to you?
 
i know what u are talking abt the muscle does have a forward medial pull but when u read the tmj anatomy and disc movements it says that u cannot make the disc move medially it can only move forward and downwards.the shape of the condyle and the articular cavity is such that the disc can only move forward.
I am still open for discussion becoz this is confusing.
 
i know what u are talking abt the muscle does have a forward medial pull but when u read the tmj anatomy and disc movements it says that u cannot make the disc move medially it can only move forward and downwards.the shape of the condyle and the articular cavity is such that the disc can only move forward.
I am still open for discussion becoz this is confusing.

Yes I hear you, and in "Anatomy of orofacial strucures" it says that the superior head of the l.p. functions primarily in the action of biting to guide the posterior movement of the disc and condyle as it goes back to a centric position. So maybe the correct answer is the last one.
 
contraction of lateral pterygoid muscle pulls the disc of the TMJ
a. forward and medially --right answer
b.backward and medially
c.forward and laterally
d.backward and laterally
e.None of the above

pls answer this question with a reference.

In all books I have read the lat pter muscle pulls the disk med and forward. It is through this action that it makes possible the lateral movement of mandible. The disk and condyle move in concert not separately.
 
What would you do in a situation you described?
If there is remaining composite of tooth color and you cannot distinguish them? Do you remove the composite to see how much tooth structure is left? (How do you remove it if not distinguishable?)
I think it is not difficult to tell the difference between the dentin and composite, even if the shade is very similar.
And if you are forced to place the margin on resin doesn't it mean that the ferrule is not adequate?


I was assuming there is adequate ferrule when they say there is adequate structure of tooth left. In that case the only thing I would need is to have a resin distinguishable from dentin so that accidentally I do not cut and prepare the margin into composite.

contemporary fixed prosthodontics by Rosenstiel, Fujimoto, Land page 180...
However, when I read it again and one of the alternatives is the adequate ferrule it made me think that the person who made this question maybe by adequate structure did not mean adequate ferrule... so the answer will be adequate ferrule..
 
I was assuming there is adequate ferrule when they say there is adequate structure of tooth left. In that case the only thing I would need is to have a resin distinguishable from dentin so that accidentally I do not cut and prepare the margin into composite.

contemporary fixed prosthodontics by Rosenstiel, Fujimoto, Land page 180...
However, when I read it again and one of the alternatives is the adequate ferrule it made me think that the person who made this question maybe by adequate structure did not mean adequate ferrule... so the answer will be adequate ferrule..

That's what I meant, I think adequate ferrule and adequate tooth structure are not the equal.

As for the composite what I meant in my previous post is, you can't have adequate ferrule and at the same time place the margin in composite, because if your margin ends up in resin it means there was no ferrule. Am I wrong?
 
like i said the books i have read never mention the disc ever moving anywhere but forward and downwards.Leda can u tell me which book says the disc moves forward and medial ?
 
Hey everyone, i am planning to go for the equivalency process and take the test for basic fundamental knowledge in Feb 2011.
Can anyone please help me with what books to study from?The reference text has over 80 books. There are the released qs. on the NDBE site, but what other material is available?? What are dental decks and how can I get a hold of em?

Help would be very appreciated, Thanks!
 
That's what I meant, I think adequate ferrule and adequate tooth structure are not the equal.

As for the composite what I meant in my previous post is, you can't have adequate ferrule and at the same time place the margin in composite, because if your margin ends up in resin it means there was no ferrule. Am I wrong?

the margin width depends on the type of preparation...so if you are doing a chamfer for cast metal crown is only .3-.5 mm, but if you are doing a shoulder it can be from 1-1.5 mm...it all depends on how much you cut in this ferrule.
 
like i said the books i have read never mention the disc ever moving anywhere but forward and downwards.Leda can u tell me which book says the disc moves forward and medial ?

dental decks, Mosby review, contemporary fixed prosthodontics..the disks moves in concert with the condyle. how would you explain the lateral movement of mandible if the condyle disk complex would not move slightly mesially ??
 
i know leda what you are talking abt but all of these book ssay that the condyle on opening the jaw moves forward and downward.If you see the dynamics of jaw opening where lateral pterygoid works only and it moves both the condyle and the disk( ur rite abt the condyle and disk moving together) the whole process is explained and they say that it moves forward and downward there is no mention of the condyle moving medially.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the occlusal parameter that is most useful to differentiate between an overbite of dental or skeletal origin is the
a. mandibular curve of spee
b. mandibular curve of wilson
c. molar saggital relationship
d. mandibular anterior lack of space
e. maxillary curve of wilson.
 
the most important factor to consider before extracting a mandibular incisoris
a. severity of the crowding
b. mandibular curve of spee
c. a bolton discrepancy
d. the vertical incisor relationship
e. th ehorizontal incisor relaitonship.
 
the anterior component of force may be observed clinically as
a. distal movement of permanent mandibular cuspid
b. mesial movement of a permanent max first molar
c.A and B
d. None of the above.
 
the occlusal parameter that is most useful to differentiate between an overbite of dental or skeletal origin is the
a. mandibular curve of spee
b. mandibular curve of wilson
c. molar saggital relationship
d. mandibular anterior lack of space
e. maxillary curve of wilson.


I think is a. the curve of spee..if the curve of spee is horizinta it means that the posterior teeth are erupted enough and the overbite of the anterior teeth is not cused by dental reason, but skeletal ones.
 
Hi
i got accepted in one of the universities and iam selling
1. compressor with all attachments (portable and not noisy)
2. the rod
3.Kilgore typhodont
4.High speed handpiece
5.lots of frasaco and kilogre teeth
6.lots of carbide and diamond burs
I have used the above only for a month and are in almost new condition.
Most of it will be sold at half price. Will give away teeth and burs(most) for only 1CAD each
Anybody interested can e-mail me at " [email protected]"
 
in a xerostomic patient which salivary glands are likely responsible for the lack of lubrication
a accessory
s. labial
c. parotid
d. sublingual and sub mandibular
 
after the cementation of a crown,which of the following is most likely to result in ch. gingivitis
a. sub gingival finish line
b. a supragingival finish line
c. an undercontoured crown
d. an over contoured crown
 
which of the following conditions should not commonly be treated during the mixed dentistion stage
a. Anterior crossbite
b. posterior crossbite
c. maxillary incisor rotation
d. classs 2 molar realtionship
 
the most appropriate management for a tooth with a history of previous trauma that now exhibits apical resorption is
a. observation over 6 mths for further resorption
b. complete instrumentation and medication with intracana; CAoh
c. immediate instrumentation and obturation followed by apical curettage
d.extraction ,apical resection,retrofilling and replantation
e. extraction and replacement with a fixed or removable prosthesis
 
in a xerostomic patient which salivary glands are likely responsible for the lack of lubrication
a accessory
s. labial
c. parotid
d. sublingual and sub mandibular

I think d sublingual and submandibular their production is sero mucous and mucous..mucins are responsible for lubrification
 
which of the following conditions should not commonly be treated during the mixed dentistion stage
a. Anterior crossbite
b. posterior crossbite
c. maxillary incisor rotation
d. classs 2 molar realtionship


I think a rotated incisor should not be treated during mixed dentition
 
the most appropriate management for a tooth with a history of previous trauma that now exhibits apical resorption is
a. observation over 6 mths for further resorption
b. complete instrumentation and medication with intracana; CAoh
c. immediate instrumentation and obturation followed by apical curettage
d.extraction ,apical resection,retrofilling and replantation
e. extraction and replacement with a fixed or removable prosthesis

I think b, medication with Ca(OH)2
 
which of the following conditions should not commonly be treated during the mixed dentistion stage
a. Anterior crossbite
b. posterior crossbite
c. maxillary incisor rotation
d. classs 2 molar realtionship

I would say D. class 2 molar relationship. This may correct itself (leeway space).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay i read the dental decks regarding the function of lat.pterygoid muscle.It says when the lat. pterygoid muscles contract together they cause the disc and condyle to move forward and downward.like in protrusion and in jaw opening.
while in lateral excursions of mandible the non working side condyle moves forward down and medial while working side goes forward and lateral.so what do we say abt this??
now this question has appeared alot of times with different wordings sometimes they ask abt jaw opening and lat pterygoid,sometimes they ask abt just the lat pterygoids contraction.
it is also written in decks that in disc displacement the disc usually is displaced anteriomedially,but in normal occlusion it is prevented from doing so by the tmj ligaments.
so here is the summary now how would u answer this question?