Canadian,also IMG.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emsi

Gangs don't die,We boogie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my wife is an IMG currently in residency in the US in psychiatry, she is also a Canadian citizen. Does anyone know if she can transfer to a Canadian residency? OR how difficult it is to practice in Canada after US training? I would really appreciate any input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's difficult, but not impossible.

See http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=160647

Also take into consideration that Canadian residency training is generally 5 years in duration vs. the US 4 year norm. It may be better if your wife completed the US residency and also added an additional year of fellowship, which would also give her the time to sit for the American Board Certification exam.

I am not sure about the possibilities of transfer DURING residency, but it may not hurt for her to contact various residency programs in Canada to see if they would accept her as a transfer...although I assume she would still have to be licensed in Canada for her to be able to enter a residency there (and I assume she's not licensed in Canada yet, because she's an IMG.)

Once she's board certified in the US there are pathways towards recognition of specialty training and subsequent licensure in various Canadian provinces (go to each province's website and look for these pathways.)

It's hard. Many Canadian docs end up practicing here in the US.

Yes that is right. First thing is to write the LMCC Part 1. That acts like a passport for IMGs (unless you are Canadian grad) allowing you to apply for residency in all provinces.

To transfer half way into residency will be a challenge. To increase your chances, you will have to be very resourceful. You have to ask residents or doctors of the programs you are interested in, if they have anyone dropping out of Psych for that year. Then, grab the opportunity and inform them of your interest.

Alternatively contact individual programs or regional heads to enquire on their rules. I would suggest you do both, as most of the time, programs are allocated 'extra spot(s)' out of the published number. And usually only the regional heads will know the info. Also if you don't mind, you can always try for the rural programs. New Foundland has more lax rules compared to Ontario, Alberta and BC.

Check out www.carms.ca

Good luck.

P/S: If you have more queries, you can email/PM me. I am a Canadian grad fr Alberta and applying to US for Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add, that once Board Certified in Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology, she is not quite yet "home free", but she is considered eligible to sit for the Canadian College of Psychiatrists board exam (written and oral), and ONLY THEN she can enter the possible pathways towards subsequent registration/licensure in some Canadian provinces. Now, there are differences with each province re. full unrestricted license, and/or specialty "defined" license, plus other kinds of temporary or provisional permits, etc. Every year there are new regulations that are attempting to streamline the process...but it IS still quite complicated to navigate the whole thing. It just has to be taken one step at a time, and it seems to me very costly in both $$$ and TIME, and not at all family friendly.
I do not personally know of anyone who actually went through this process, although I'm sure that there are several extraordinarily motivated people who actually try it. A lot of people probably give up and settle to work in the US! (Another problem here will be the hurdle of getting the J-1 waiver, if she came for her residency as a Canadian on a J-1 here!) It's a mess, isn't it?!

Thanks everyone for all the insight! I have to say I feel somewhat deflated, everything sounds so complicated and convoluted (par for the course as far as canadians are conserned). We spent 5 hours on the phone having conversations with few canadian organisations, and we end up with NOTHING. i mean, generaly, no one knows what we have to do....
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a J-waver, and what next?!!! And why so surprised that she is a canadian on a J-waver??

Thanks

No surprise here. Lots of Canadians who train in the US are on J-visas. The problem occurs if the Canadian wants to start working in the US, AFTER completing their residency here: they have to get the J-waiver, in order to qualify for a H1-B or a US permanent resident card which would allow them to WORK in the US after their residency (in case they don't want to return to Canada right away because they aren't yet licensed in Canada or just because they want to stay and work here).

I still think that for your wife, the most logical sequence would be to complete her residency here in the US + 1-2 years of fellowship, get US Board Certified, then sit for the Canadian Psych. Board exam...then she'll have an easier time finally getting the Canadian registration to practice back in Canada. Plus, by the time she finishes her residency here, maybe the Canadian registration of IMG's will have become more streamlined than it is now, especially for doctors with US training and experience. Things already seem a little better than they were 5 years ago (there are more pathways for IMG's to get Canadian registration than there used to be in the past.)

It's a long road. She has YOU to support her, though! So be tough, plan to be able to commute, or try to get a job in the US close to her. By the time the whole ordeal will be over you'll both have time to sit and wonder whether it was all worth it!

I totally agree with PsychMD. It is advisable to complete your training at the current institution before working in Canada.

May I ask which year of residency is your wife at now? If it is only the first, perhaps she may want to try for CARMS match now.

MN

P/S: Allow me to share this quote from 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho -

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Best wishes.

Mixed Nut said:
Yes that is right. First thing is to write the LMCC Part 1. That acts like a passport for IMGs (unless you are Canadian grad) allowing you to apply for residency in all provinces.

To transfer half way into residency will be a challenge. To increase your chances, you will have to be very resourceful. You have to ask residents or doctors of the programs you are interested in, if they have anyone dropping out of Psych for that year. Then, grab the opportunity and inform them of your interest.

Alternatively contact individual programs or regional heads to enquire on their rules. I would suggest you do both, as most of the time, programs are allocated 'extra spot(s)' out of the published number. And usually only the regional heads will know the info. Also if you don't mind, you can always try for the rural programs. New Foundland has more lax rules compared to Ontario, Alberta and BC.

Check out www.carms.ca

Good luck.

P/S: If you have more queries, you can email/PM me. I am a Canadian grad fr Alberta and applying to US for Psych.

As far as the psych program in Newfoundland goes, rumor has it that the Royal College gave it "intent to withdraw" with regard to accreditation. I heard this from a friend of mine who is doing an FP residency. He said that though it has been easy to gain a residency at that program and that many people have used it as a springboard in the past to other programs, that the program is supposedly only accepting first iteration applicants until the accreditation is on more secure footing.

Thanks again everybody. i didn`t expect so much replies.. :) my wife is in a second year residency. we were thinking mainly about going back to Toronto. but as i can see it, it is going to be quite difficult.. probably it is better to invest few years here in J-waver and then be able to find a work in better place in the US ,than doing every crazy and unnecessary stuff only to be able to work one day(probably) in Toronto. not to mention that for checking her American credentials Canadian bodies need 18 MONTHS !?!?!?! what the hell.....
p.p. To Mixed Nut : Paulo Coelho rock..........