Canadian applicant- apply or masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letusflyaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio: Canadian

Major: Biology, finished this year!

AMCAS cGPA: 3.99 sGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 515- 129/126(sigh)/130/130

Research: 600+ in a biochem lab 1st-2nd year, 1500+ in a human physiology/clinical research lab (both labs had volunteer hours and research award components. Have a publication with the second lab, am currently drafting a manuscript, and on posters but wasn’t the presenter)

Volunteering: Peer academic mentor, student experience event planning, language exchange coordinator, VP for fundraising club and premed society

ECs: event photography, baking, diy projects

Employment: teaching assistant

Possible schools (exchange rate is painful + broke student so not many)

Reach: Harvard, UPenn, Columbia

Target: Mayo, Boston, Duke

Safety: Rutgers, PennState

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're competitive for all Canadian med schools except the ones with CARS minimums. I would actually try a second cycle of Canadian apps only, as getting into a Canadian school will save you tons of money. Adding US schools on your third try is reasonable.
If you'd be happy working as a PT for awhile, take the PT masters. It will have little effect on your chances of an MD acceptance.

Rutgers matriculated exactly 1 international, it was early decision.
Penn St. similarly only matriculated one (MD/PhD).
When you see 2 or fewer, they are likely to the internal candidates.
Check your choices against the MSAR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers matriculated exactly 1 international, it was early decision.
Penn St. similarly only marticulated one (MD/PhD).
When you see 2 or fewer, they are likely to the internal candidates.
Check your choices against the MSAR.
Okay thanks! I'll have to check out other safeties, do you have any in mind off the top of your head?

You're competitive for all Canadian med schools except the ones with CARS minimums. I would actually try a second cycle of Canadian apps only, as getting into a Canadian school will save you tons of money. Adding US schools on your third try is reasonable.
If you'd be happy working as a PT for awhile, take the PT masters. It will have little effect on your chances of an MD acceptance.
An idea that I had was applying for med right after PT, is that unreasonable?