This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentTen2804

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve been an SDN reader for a while but wanted to post for some advice. I am a Canadian and my girlfriend and I both hope to get into medical school in the states or in Canada. We are willing to do MD or DO school as they both align with our goals as well! We are aware that we aren’t the most competitive applicants.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.3 and 3.2
sGPA: 3.3 and 3.2

-high upward trends, up to 3.65+ for the last 3 years

MCAT: no score currently. Our practice test scores were around 508. Will be officially writing it soon.

We have applied to master’s programs here in Canada and got in with funding (based on our last 2 years) and also have applied to a few SMP programs (Pitt BMP and Boston MAMS) in the states.

1) What are our chances as internationals (we are aware of the Canadian friendly schools and schools to avoid) (DO/MD)?

2) Is an SMP worth it for us considering with the conversion it will be >65k for the year easy, or should we do the free/funded masters? In addition, the risk of not preforming >3.5gpa and hurting our chances even more?

3) Do you know of any schools that consider graduate students differently (beneficial) even if it’s not an SMP?

We would appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Delay writing your MCAT. With those GPAs you want your score higher than 508, and as high as possible.