Canadian Applicant - WAMC?? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed_girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.85 , sGPA: 3.97 , MCAT1: 500 (3 years ago), MCAT2: 509 , Lots of unique ECs, Currently finishing up MSc

I know that my MCAT scores are not the best. I'm a little afraid that it will hold me back. I'm planning to apply to these schools:

Wayne State
NYMC
Howard
MSU
Central Michigan
George Washington
Penn State
Tulane
Hawaii (Burns)
I also want to throw in UCLA, because in 2017 they accepted someone with a 508 MCAT (but I'm not sure if I should).

I would say that my ECs are above average. I heard that re-writing the MCAT for a third time in the States looks bad, so I want to apply with my current score. Do I have a chance, or will I get screened out when they see my score? The schools that I listed all have had matriculants with a lower (or similar) MCAT and much lower GPA than mine.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you received any interview invitation yet ? I am a Canadian too with 3.95/518 and applied to some schools in your list. Have not heard from any of them yet.

Are you UIM? If not forget about Howard. Do all of these schools accept International students? You probably need more schools and be aware that schools might average your scores. AMCAS rec. multiple scores be averaged. Some do and some don’t and there is really no way of knowing who does. So keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you UIM? If not forget about Howard. Do all of these schools accept International students? You probably need more schools and be aware that schools might average your scores. AMCAS rec. multiple scores be averaged. Some do and some don’t and there is really no way of knowing who does. So keep that in mind.
Did not apply Howard.

If you applied, hope your cycle is going well.

I also want to throw in UCLA, because in 2017 they accepted someone with a 508 MCAT (but I'm not sure if I should).

UCLA's median MCAT jumped from 508 to something like 516 that year. It now sits at 518. What happened in 2017 is a mystery

UCLA's median MCAT jumped from 508 to something like 516 that year. It now sits at 518. What happened in 2017 is a mystery

Holy crap. How the hell did that happen. I wonder if there medical school rankings had something to do with it.

Thought I got a 518. I decided not to apply UCLA and all other CA schools. Chances too slim.

Reactions: 1 user