Canadian applying for American Res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how american residencies are like for canadian BScPharm Graduates?

My friend that worked in Seattle for a few years graduated from UBC Pharmacy (BSc) and said that it's pretty much equivalent to a pharmD in the states.. in terms of finding work.
So... I'm just wondering if anyone has any information to provide me about obtaining a pharmacy residency in the states since I plan to work there as a clinical pharmacist after I graduate from the BScPharm program from UBC.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm
this is a very interesting question...

others who have looked at more residencies may be able to better comment but the ones i have looked into state that you must have a Doctor of Pharmacy from an Accredited School from ACPE and a US pharmacy license.

this is definitely something to consider....

I think licensure is required within a time frame specified by the residency because most residencies actually rotate their residents through dispensing (altho for administrative residencies this may be different). You'd have to pursue the question with the residency(s) you are interested in then start working on what is required for a foreign graduate to become licensed in that state. I'd advise you to start early.....CA moves very slowly..don't know about other states.

Members don't see this ad :)
alright thanks guys,
I'll definately look more into some schools in a couple years

FungManX said:
I'm just wondering how american residencies are like for canadian BScPharm Graduates?

My friend that worked in Seattle for a few years graduated from UBC Pharmacy (BSc) and said that it's pretty much equivalent to a pharmD in the states.. in terms of finding work.
So... I'm just wondering if anyone has any information to provide me about obtaining a pharmacy residency in the states since I plan to work there as a clinical pharmacist after I graduate from the BScPharm program from UBC.

Well not really. Pharm D is now the standard and BSc is becoming obsolete more or less. With BSc you will find a job, but you won't be picking and choosing, you are pretty much starting a peg down from any new grad, unless you have significant work experience. I think that doing a residency will defiently give you an edge, but you might not get a res neccessarily at your top choice, b/c many schools will want Pharm D's, but you can get it no doubt.

After residency, you have to get your Pharm D too. The good news is, that you can do it part time over two years, while you are also working, or you can put your life on hold for a year and do a 1 year program, but after residency pharm D will be more or less a joke for you. Good luck.