MD Canadian Applying to American MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0ny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate any feedback or input on my chances for American MD schools. Here's a brief summary of me:

Graduated with a Major in Biochemistry May 2014, Currently doing a second bachelors in Exercise Science since September 2014

cGPA: ~ 3.55

sGPA: ?? not sure

MCAT: 2013/09/04: 31 (12/9/10)

2014/09/07: 33 (13/8/12)

EC: French Canadian speaking fluent french and english

1) Pharmacy Lab technician 5+ Years

2) Tutoring Highschool and University Students for 4 years

3) Schizophrenia Research for 5 months no pub.

4) Pancreatic Cancer Research for 4 months no pub.

5) Volunteer at old folks home ~100 hours

6) Medical Mission trip to Tanzania for ~ 5 weeks

7) Medical Internship in Thailand for ~3 weeks

8) Sports such as hockey, etc..

Awards: McGill Integrated Cancer Research Training Program Grant (~2000$)

So basically I wanted to know IF i have any fair chance at MD programs in the states. I would be able to submit my applications as early as possible. Also if I do have a chance, any help on a school list would be great. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are likely too low for most USMD schools. Remember that as an international students, you will be held to much higher standards than domestic students, especially at public schools. Among the meager of schools accepting internationl students, a 3.7 cGPA is likely the minimum to be competitive. A higher MCAT would make up for a lower GPA, but then again your MCAT is only average at best. Additionally, your ECs are also average, likely below average for lack of substantial clinical experience such as shadowing. However, I would still suggest applying if you could afford the application fees.

Your GPAs are likely too low for most USMD schools. Remember that as an international students, you will be held to much higher standards than domestic students, especially at public schools. Among the meager of schools accepting internationl students, a 3.7 cGPA is likely the minimum to be competitive. A higher MCAT would make up for a lower GPA, but then again your MCAT is only average at best. Additionally, your ECs are also average, likely below average for lack of substantial clinical experience such as shadowing. However, I would still suggest applying if you could afford the application fees.

I worked with a clinical Hepato-pancreato-billiary Surgeon when I was doing the Pancreatic Cancer Research. I was going into the OR approximately 3 times a week to get specimens during surgery and going to pathology afterwards to request tissue samples of the tumor removed. Would that count as clinical experience as it was part of the research volunteering I did?

I worked with a clinical Hepato-pancreato-billiary Surgeon when I was doing the Pancreatic Cancer Research. I was going into the OR approximately 3 times a week to get specimens during surgery and going to pathology afterwards to request tissue samples of the tumor removed. Would that count as clinical experience as it was part of the research volunteering I did?
That's certainly a good experience; make sure you emphasize the clinical aspect of your research experience on your application though.