Canadian chances in America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parham3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a canadian student, who want to apply to american dental schools in the future. I Know that as a canadian I'm only limited to certain schools (private). My question is at a private school, do I (International applicant) have the same opportunities as green card holders. Would i be discriminated against requiring a higher GPA than the entering class.

I shall finish my degree probably with a bcp.3.60 and sGPA 3.65.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think Private schools care much for any sort of residency or care. So long as you'll be here legally, they shouldn't care. Which schools did you have in mind? You might just want to email them directly. A while back I had the reverse question (American applying to Canada) and I emailed McGill and University of Toronto. I posted a thread here and got some very informative answers but I just contacted the universities. The McGill folks probably laughed off my question cause they never responded. The Toronto folks got back to me and said it would be difficult, but not impossible.

It's not unheard of for Canadians to be accepted to U.S. dental schools, although they will be limited to largely private schools. You can check out predents for some more information on stats of Canadians who were accepted at American schools. Some schools that come to mind that have accepted Canadians include NYU, Case, BU, Minnesota. This list is not exhaustive by any means.

Members don't see this ad :)
It very difficult to get into dentistry in canada. You would have a higher chance of getting into harvard than uoft or McGill. This is due to several reasons, first they calculate your gpa based on OMSAS (only an A+=4.0, A=3.8/3.9 depending on you school, A-=3.7) and secondly, unless you have have a full course load (30 credits) every year they don't consider you a serious applicant. And also to note that the gpa cut off is about 3.85 on OMSAS scale. This kinda competition is for in-provice applicants, imagine inter nation applicants.

Just wondering...if a school lists 20/50 seats for example as out of state, theoretically they should be available to canadian/international applicants as well?

Just wondering...if a school lists 20/50 seats for example as out of state, theoretically they should be available to canadian/international applicants as well?

for mcgill, its 28/35 in provinc 7/35 out of province im pretty sure

Good day to all :)

I'm jeffreywest :)

I am so glad to be a part of this site.

Hoping you guy can entertain all my queries :)

Thank you :)

for mcgill, its 28/35 in provinc 7/35 out of province im pretty sure

Sorry I was referring to US schools. Are their out of state seats equal opportunity for US/Canadian applicants?

Sorry I was referring to US schools. Are their out of state seats equal opportunity for US/Canadian applicants?

Doc Toothache has a spreadsheet w/ Internationals' matriculant data. From what I've seen in that sheet and on predents.com, internationals are at a disadvantage compared to US OOS. IMHO this is fair because Americans don't have access to Canadian schools and Canadians have the same ratio of seats to population as the US. You guys basically get to double dip :).

You could look at it that way.. but with only 1 in-province school and a 4.0 acceptance average...everything should be taken with a grain of salt :p

Doc Toothache has a spreadsheet w/ Internationals' matriculant data. From what I've seen in that sheet and on predents.com, internationals are at a disadvantage compared to US OOS. IMHO this is fair because Americans don't have access to Canadian schools and Canadians have the same ratio of seats to population as the US. You guys basically get to double dip :).

True, but we dont have 50 dental schools and need more than a 3.6 to be in a decent situation.