canadian grading system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICU23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an american and just curious about the canadian grading system. I know that grades are given as percentage, but are the percentage what you actually get out of the total points of the class or some sort of ranking. I have heard that 80% + is equal to an A. In non-curved class at my school, 80% is a B- meaning 2.7 points on the gpa scale.

Members don't see this ad.

Well in Canada (University of Alberta) we have the 4.0-grading system like all other schools... The letter grading systems usual depend on what the class average is... for most first year classes and basically optometry pre-reqs... and 85% will get u an A... and B- is like 65-69% for us.... it goes up by every 5% for us.. but each class is different depending on the curve.. i.e. for my Anatomy class a mark of A had a 92% cutoff...
I do know that American schools bump up Canadian students' gpa b/c they consider us a higher quality education.. or at least thats what I've heard...

higher quality?

Members don't see this ad :)
higher quality?
Well, I don't know higher quality or not!! But Canadian Schools are tougher .. the except a lot more and grading scale is also high. UofManitoba, one of my classes 100+ is A+, and another class 95+ is A+!!!

well quality in the sense that ive heard optometry schools in the U.S. bump up your gpa if your from a Canadian university compared to a U.S college... so i guess we have a higher quality or standard of education in that respect...

I'm an american and just curious about the canadian grading system. I know that grades are given as percentage, but are the percentage what you actually get out of the total points of the class or some sort of ranking. I have heard that 80% + is equal to an A. In non-curved class at my school, 80% is a B- meaning 2.7 points on the gpa scale.

I have an undergraduate degree from both a Canadian and an American school and my experience was that while the score required to obtain an A in a Canadian school was in fact lower, the examinations and assignments were INFINATELY more difficult than those given to me here in the USA.

How that all comes out in the wash, I do not know but that was my experience.

If you didn't go to a top school in the US to make comparison than I wouldn't comment on which is better. Now, STOP BICKERING LIKE KIDS - I only asked how your system worked, not which was better.

while the ivy league schools r still going to be really tough even for us Canadian students.... there's just many many more univs down in US that hands mark out like candies. So we should all be glad for the OAT and other standardized tests so u dont get screwed over by ur univ!

If you didn't go to a top school in the US to make comparison than I wouldn't comment on which is better. Now, STOP BICKERING LIKE KIDS - I only asked how your system worked, not which was better.

:confused:

If you think that was bickering... you haven't read any corporate optometry or OMD vs. OD threads. Now THAT is bickering. ;)

Here is the conversion chart for Ontario Universities. It varies from school to school:

http://www.yorku.ca/ypms/Prof_Info/OSMAS%202003 GPA Conversion.pdf

At my school, (University of Western Ontario) we are graded based on a percentage. Then to figure out our GPA, we have to use the chart:

2.0 ----63-66% ---- C
2.3 ----67-69% ---- C+
2.7 ----70-72% ---- B-
3.0 ----73-76% ---- B
3.3 ----77-79% ---- B+
3.7 ----80-84% ---- A-
3.9 ----85-89% ---- A
4.0 ----90-100% ---- A+