Canadian in the U.K... advice needed plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a 3rd year medical student originally from Toronto, studying in the U.K. I?m probably going to try to apply for a general surgery residency in Ontario after I qualify here (and yes I know it?s going to be difficult). I?m doing everything I can to ensure that I have a fair chance. I?ve just run into some dilemmas and I could really use some advice.

1) I want to do my elective in Ontario but all of the medical schools there said that I have to be in my FINAL 2 years to apply for one (I?ll be in my third out of 5 years when I am scheduled to take an elective, I cant change this). I have managed to convince UWO to consider me anyway, they said they cannot guarantee anything because of their policies. I?ve already applied but if I don?t get a spot I have some options?

- I can do an elective in general surgery here in the U.K
- I can do a privately arranged elective in radiology in Toronto (with personal contacts in a private clinic, not with UofT)
- I can do an elective in another province. McGill also said they?d consider me but I cant apply until after I have been declined by UWO (because of financial reasons). By the time I find this out, all the surgical elective spots at McGill may be filled up so this option is not definite.

I would like to know what you guys think would be better for me to do if the worst happens. Is a general surgery elective in the U.K worth more than an elective in radiology in Toronto, especially if I want to go into general surgery?

2) I have currently done two research projects in surgery, one in head and neck and the other in vascular. Unfortunately these were literature reviews and are not likely to be published. I have the opportunity to do a final research project in maxillofacial surgery with a surgeon I know who ensures me that I will have a better chance of being published because he will be leading the project and it is a longitudinal study.

I might not be able to do a study like this in general surgery (because I am having a hard time finding a surgeon doing this type of study who would let me join his/her team, and because of time restrictions in organizing my own? gaining ethical approval takes a while and can be difficult)

I would like to know if it would be better to do the research in maxillofacial surgery, which may lead to a paper, or shall I just do another literature review in general surgery? Which one will help with my chances in attaining a general surgery residency?

I?ve received great advice from this network before and hopefully I can receive some more.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I'm also orginally from Toronto, but went to Med school in the UK. What med school are you at? It may help your cause if you are at one of the top schools. (ie cambridge,oxford,glasgow)

I know you know that surgery is difficult to get into Ontario and so I would suggest you have a back up plan (ie US)

if you want to get into surgery, you are better off doing an elective in surgery than in rads. If you can't get a spot in Ontario or McGill, I would say try the US for elective (but again most will say only in 4th or 5th year) If you can't get a surg elective in N. America, do one in the UK rather than doing rads in canada. and try to do some research while doing the elective.

in your final 2 years of med school do as many rotations as you can in Canada. definately do you senior elective at U of T and if you have a month off after, do another elective. my medical school allowed as to do special study modules abroad, so all in all I did 4 clerkships in the US. if you are allowed to do this, do as many as you can in Canada/US. Also work your butt off when doing these and kiss major ass. you need to get exceptional LORs.

Get a publication. do the research that gives you a publication rather than the one that doesn't (even if it maxfacs). no brainer.

getting a surg position in ontario is near impossible, but since you seem focused I would say have a go. remember every aspect of your application needs to be flawless. ie. try to get honours in your final year, get the best LORs possible from your Canadian electives, do as much research as possible, make connections when doing elective etc.

if you work your ass off, it may be possible. haven't heard of any IMGs getting surgery in Ontario in recent years, but nothings impossible i suppose.

good luck!