Canadian looking to study in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Untitled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got accepted into an Australian Dental School program last year but could not go due to lack of funds.
I'm hoping to apply again but I was wondering if there's anyone who knows ways to fund a dental education abroad?

My situation last year and at the moment: No savings (due to undergrad dues), No financial support from family or friends, no co-signer for bank loan, no scholarship or grants offered by the school for international students, and I'm OSAP eligible but only covers up 10,000 or so.

Members don't see this ad.

Without collateral from your parents (or someone very close to you) the most you will be able to attain from any single bank is $275K in Canada. Now, I've heard (but haven't confirmed the validity) of some Canadian students in my program taking out a loan from Scotia Bank FIRST ($275K) and then taking out a loan from Royal Bank of Canada SECOND (at a secondary loan limit of $150K). That puts you at $425K CAD in total for 4 years plus the maximum of $40K you can pull from OSAP for 4 years as well.

Now I'm not sure if $465K is enough to pay for AUS dental school and living/travel expenses but I know it wouldn't be enough for me, as the total cost of my program and other expenses is estimated to be $548K CAD.

If you inbox me around the start of Sept, I can ask some of the other Canadians in my class who may have gone this route about the validity of drawing double bank loans using other banks prior to RBC.

Find a co-signer. That's all the advice I have for you. Also, the limit is $275k, however, if you convince them they can give you more (with a trustworthy co-signer). Or you can go to multiple banks and get several loans.

I'd suggest TD since their interest rate is prime ONLY (2.7%), and interest starts 12 months after you graduate. Main point, FIND a co-signer. OSAP isn't going to cut it. Find a dentist near you (or your dentist), or someone else you trust/has good credit and is stable.

Hi guys
Seeing u guys are currently attending dental schools abroad and training to be seasoned dentists, could u provide some information about how much it costs u guys annually to continue ur studies. This is such a great opportunity but the finances are quite scary.