canadian med student applying to US residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewon2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year med student interested in radiology, and is currently applying only to Canadian residency.

If things don't work out in Canada, I will be considering applying to US following year.

(1) I know USMLE Step 1 is required to apply. Is USMLE Step 2 required? When do I need to get these exams completed to have a best shot in the US?

(2) According to stats I've read on websites, ~240 on Step 1 is considered a competitive score. Given that Canadian schools are licensed equally as the American counterpart and by the same institution, is ~240 also considered a competitive score for a Canadian student?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In general, canadian students are seen as "on par" with US students -- all schools are LCME accredited. So, USMLE scores are usually equivalent, and a 240 is a great score.

If you will likely get good scores, then you should take Step 1 and Step 2 before the application season starts (which is Nov 1st). As a canadian grad you will not need ECFMG certification, so you don't actually have to take Step 2 at all if you don't want to (although some states require Step 2 for a training license).

You might need a visa, if you are not a US citizen. Most people getting a J visa need Step 1 and 2 for ECFMG certification -- in your case you might not need them. An H visa requires all Steps.

In general, canadian students are seen as "on par" with US students -- all schools are LCME accredited. So, USMLE scores are usually equivalent, and a 240 is a great score.

If you will likely get good scores, then you should take Step 1 and Step 2 before the application season starts (which is Nov 1st). As a canadian grad you will not need ECFMG certification, so you don't actually have to take Step 2 at all if you don't want to (although some states require Step 2 for a training license).

You might need a visa, if you are not a US citizen. Most people getting a J visa need Step 1 and 2 for ECFMG certification -- in your case you might not need them. An H visa requires all Steps.

I understand that the Canadian LMCC is accepted for a US residency instead of USMLE. Is that correct? What is considered a good score on LMCC which I passed many years ago (1971)?

I understand that the Canadian LMCC is accepted for a US residency instead of USMLE. Is that correct? What is considered a good score on LMCC which I passed many years ago (1971)?

Well, not exactly.

The LMCC is accepted by most states for full licensure. Some states have exam requirements for a training license, which may or may not include the LMCC. Since you have already had a full license in Canada, I don't know if you would even qualify for a training license in all states.

What residencies require is another matter. All Canadian applicants to my program in the last 5 years have taken the USMLE's. I never saw their LMCC scores -- there's nowhere in ERAS to transmit them, and I didn't ask.

In your case, no one is going to care what you scored on your exam in 1971, whether it was the USMLE or the LMCC. These exams measured your medical knowledge in 1971.