Canadian Med Students Applying to Surgery in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Canadian med students here applying to the states for surgery residencies? I'm currently in third year, have a decent step 1 (242/98), and would like to do ENT (possibly gen surg as an alternate). Any thoughts on likelihood of getting a spot given the fact that we're not trained in the US? Applying is very tempting given ~270 ent spots in US vs ~16 up here.

Members don't see this ad.

75% of Canadian Applicants are successful in getting a residency in the US.

There are ~150 people going south a year for residency. This is the size of one medical school. This should be easy for you to get a place down south.

Just for info.. why do you want to do res in US?

ENT is difficult for anyone. I know someone who graduated UBC, went unmatched in ENT in Canada, and also tried in the US with no success (smart cookie too). He eventually ended up doing rads at a good state instutition in the US. Your step I score will open some doors for you, but beyond that it's a crap shoot. Despite what people say, Step I scores do not get you into programs. They only open doors for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
moo said:
ENT is difficult for anyone. I know someone who graduated UBC, went unmatched in ENT in Canada, and also tried in the US with no success (smart cookie too). He eventually ended up doing rads at a good state instutition in the US. Your step I score will open some doors for you, but beyond that it's a crap shoot. Despite what people say, Step I scores do not get you into programs. They only open doors for you.
Moo, he didn't end up ranking ENT, just rads ... he'd probably have matched to ENT in the US if he had wanted to!

-another ezboarder

Well I think you should still try for ENT. My fren graduated from a school in Ontario and got an ENT spot in US. He worked hard and impressed the physicians while doing an elective with this institution. Got only one interview and got matched!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck