Canadian non-trad application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted648172

I'm in the middle of my greencard application right now, but I'm not sure that I will be a greencard holder by the time the June 1 applications on AMCAS open. If I'm lucky, I'll be a greencard holder by August-October, 3-5 months after the applications open.

I understand that applications are rolling, so what do you think I should do? Apply early as a Canadian? or wait until I'm a perm-resident later in the cycle to apply? Is there a way to indicate that my greencard is in the works? I guess I could apply to private schools (who consider Canadians/US applicants equally) early, and when I become perm-resident, add the other schools? I feel like I'm disadvantaged on both ends of the cycle by this.

Another concern I also have is that I do not have enough credits yet from my post-bacc school for a committee letter for the 2016 cycle. How 'red-flag' would it be if I applied this cycle w/o the committee letter? my post-bacc GPA is 4.0

It seems at this point, the obstacles to me being a doctor are paperwork... ugh. Maybe this is good training for the future. Insurance/legal paperwork as a doctor must be easier than immigration paperwork.

I would appreciate adcom feedback, if you have any savvy advice for me @Goro @LizzyM

oh one more thing too: if I wait until the 2017 cycle, would my old MCAT score still count? I took the last Jan 23, 2015 MCAT of the old format. I would probably go into a deep depression if I had to retake the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying late in the MD cycle is an invitation to get rejected. I suggest sitting out this cycle until all of your ducks are in a row. Always best to apply with the best possible package.

I'm in the middle of my greencard application right now, but I'm not sure that I will be a greencard holder by the time the June 1 applications on AMCAS open. If I'm lucky, I'll be a greencard holder by August-October, 3-5 months after the applications open.

I understand that applications are rolling, so what do you think I should do? Apply early as a Canadian? or wait until I'm a perm-resident later in the cycle to apply? Is there a way to indicate that my greencard is in the works? I guess I could apply to private schools (who consider Canadians/US applicants equally) early, and when I become perm-resident, add the other schools? I feel like I'm disadvantaged on both ends of the cycle by this.

Another concern I also have is that I do not have enough credits yet from my post-bacc school for a committee letter for the 2016 cycle. How 'red-flag' would it be if I applied this cycle w/o the committee letter? my post-bacc GPA is 4.0

It seems at this point, the obstacles to me being a doctor are paperwork... ugh. Maybe this is good training for the future. Insurance/legal paperwork as a doctor must be easier than immigration paperwork.

I would appreciate adcom feedback, if you have any savvy advice for me @Goro @LizzyM

oh one more thing too: if I wait until the 2017 cycle, would my old MCAT score still count? I took the last Jan 23, 2015 MCAT of the old format. I would probably go into a deep depression if I had to retake the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely should wait till you have all the paperwork issue addressed. I would suggest to email the schools you are interested in and get some feedback in the same time, even you may not apply this cycle.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user