Canadian non-trad application advice

Started by deleted648172
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted648172

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the middle of my greencard application right now, but I'm not sure that I will be a greencard holder by the time the June 1 applications on AMCAS open. If I'm lucky, I'll be a greencard holder by August-October, 3-5 months after the applications open.

I understand that applications are rolling, so what do you think I should do? Apply early as a Canadian? or wait until I'm a perm-resident later in the cycle to apply? Is there a way to indicate that my greencard is in the works? I guess I could apply to private schools (who consider Canadians/US applicants equally) early, and when I become perm-resident, add the other schools? I feel like I'm disadvantaged on both ends of the cycle by this.

Another concern I also have is that I do not have enough credits yet from my post-bacc school for a committee letter for the 2016 cycle. How 'red-flag' would it be if I applied this cycle w/o the committee letter? my post-bacc GPA is 4.0

It seems at this point, the obstacles to me being a doctor are paperwork... ugh. Maybe this is good training for the future. Insurance/legal paperwork as a doctor must be easier than immigration paperwork.

I would appreciate adcom feedback, if you have any savvy advice for me @Goro @LizzyM

oh one more thing too: if I wait until the 2017 cycle, would my old MCAT score still count? I took the last Jan 23, 2015 MCAT of the old format. I would probably go into a deep depression if I had to retake the new MCAT.
 
Applying late in the MD cycle is an invitation to get rejected. I suggest sitting out this cycle until all of your ducks are in a row. Always best to apply with the best possible package.


I'm in the middle of my greencard application right now, but I'm not sure that I will be a greencard holder by the time the June 1 applications on AMCAS open. If I'm lucky, I'll be a greencard holder by August-October, 3-5 months after the applications open.

I understand that applications are rolling, so what do you think I should do? Apply early as a Canadian? or wait until I'm a perm-resident later in the cycle to apply? Is there a way to indicate that my greencard is in the works? I guess I could apply to private schools (who consider Canadians/US applicants equally) early, and when I become perm-resident, add the other schools? I feel like I'm disadvantaged on both ends of the cycle by this.

Another concern I also have is that I do not have enough credits yet from my post-bacc school for a committee letter for the 2016 cycle. How 'red-flag' would it be if I applied this cycle w/o the committee letter? my post-bacc GPA is 4.0

It seems at this point, the obstacles to me being a doctor are paperwork... ugh. Maybe this is good training for the future. Insurance/legal paperwork as a doctor must be easier than immigration paperwork.

I would appreciate adcom feedback, if you have any savvy advice for me @Goro @LizzyM

oh one more thing too: if I wait until the 2017 cycle, would my old MCAT score still count? I took the last Jan 23, 2015 MCAT of the old format. I would probably go into a deep depression if I had to retake the new MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely should wait till you have all the paperwork issue addressed. I would suggest to email the schools you are interested in and get some feedback in the same time, even you may not apply this cycle.

Good luck!