canadian pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for people that are considering working in canada after a US pharmD or if you someone that has done this move..please let me know..
I am obviously considering this option and has not idea on what to expect..

would they accept my US degree? any additional exam to take?
I would like to do summer internship there? where to start looking?

thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

GabonpharmD said:
I am looking for people that are considering working in canada after a US pharmD or if you someone that has done this move..please let me know..

thanks for any input

Hey, I have no clue about your question but I was wondering if you would share why you're considering moving up north. I think you can generally make more money in the states...at least I know it's true for Doctors, Dentists, etc.

It depends on the province you want to practice in. Not sure what Quebec is like. I know in Ontario you'll have to write the PEBC Qualifying Examination, a Jurisprudence Test and probably complete some internship hours (probably on the order of months). You may have to take a few courses depending on where you want to practice. In Ontario, you won't, as we respect the PharmD quite a bit here :) In Quebec, you may need french proficiency, I'm not sure.

The Quebec Order of Pharmacists' website is pretty poorly constructed. Go to Ontario instead :)

The pay differential between Canadian and US community pharmacists seems to be declining rapidly anyway, especially with the softening US dollar as of late. Let's not get into housing costs in many areas.... As well, Canadian pharmacies seem to be more often franchised than corporate-owned, putting more in the pockets of individual pharmacists.

To do summer work in Ontario, you'll want to try to open a file with the regulatory college/order, probably the same in Quebec, if you want to get credit for it. You'll probably run into some visa issues as well if you want to get paid for your work. Canada isn't very student-friendly when it comes to employment visas, or at least you're not automatically allowed to work off-campus as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
GabonpharmD said:

thanks for any input

Yea the change is no problem. They will accept your US degree. But you have to do an internship, its like 3 months of straight work 40hr week or do 6 mos, about 18 hrs a week, you can't do it any other way. You have to take 2 exams, a written one and a practical one, they are given only twice a year, and you have to register like 3 mos in advance, I think one was just around Nov. I believe the next one is in April. Your best bet is to go onto Canadian college of pharmacists website. They will have requirements for Canadian Licence. Just google it. Although, realize that money is a bit better in US of A. But you shouldn't have a problem, although I hear that Canadian exam is much more involved than the NAPLEX, and you have some challenging calcs. Plus you can't blow off the practical where you counsel a patient, there is certain factors they look for, so if you don't meet them you can fail. They are pricy too, it will cost you about 1000 plus Canadian for both of these. If you want to go this route, start studying for them now, and find out exact requirements on the Canadian College of pharmacist website. Good luck.

Your best bet is to go onto Canadian college of pharmacists website.
Heh, no such institution. Each province does its things a bit differently. $1000 isn't really much in the grand scheme of things, especially after looking at some of those US PharmD tuitions :)

SomeGuy said:
Heh, no such institution. Each province does its things a bit differently. $1000 isn't really much in the grand scheme of things, especially after looking at some of those US PharmD tuitions :)

My mistake, I meant Ontario, college of pharmacists, but that's only for Ontario.

What province are you intersted in?

If it's Ontario, try this website: www.newontariopharmacist.com

You will need to:
1. Pass the PEBC (Canadian Board Exam) www.pebc.ca
2. Pass the provincial jurisprudence exam
3. Intern for 2-3 months (depending on the province) at either a community or hospital pharmacy

The only obstacle that you may potentially face is that you must have Canadian citizenship or some kind of work visa to apply for licensure in Canada. I have no idea how easy this is to acquire, as I do not know of any Americans who have tried to become Canadian---but just the reverse of this.

As a Canadian attending a US institution for my PharmD., I plan on returning to Canada when I'm done. I'm just curious to know what it is that makes you want to jump ship to Canada. Very interesting!!!!!!

Good luck with everything and feel free to ask me questions.

hello sir , i am pleased to write u , i see ur replies and i feel that u have experience in canada pharmacy
so i will tell u some thing and want to inform me
iam an egyptian pharmacist and iam in my way to canada so i must first have the evaluating exam of pebc so did u know any books can i prepare my self wz it
many thanks to u

What province are you intersted in?

If it's Ontario, try this website: www.newontariopharmacist.com

You will need to:
1. Pass the PEBC (Canadian Board Exam) www.pebc.ca
2. Pass the provincial jurisprudence exam
3. Intern for 2-3 months (depending on the province) at either a community or hospital pharmacy

The only obstacle that you may potentially face is that you must have Canadian citizenship or some kind of work visa to apply for licensure in Canada. I have no idea how easy this is to acquire, as I do not know of any Americans who have tried to become Canadian---but just the reverse of this.

As a Canadian attending a US institution for my PharmD., I plan on returning to Canada when I'm done. I'm just curious to know what it is that makes you want to jump ship to Canada. Very interesting!!!!!!

Good luck with everything and feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks for the info..If you come accross anything else please feel me to share it. I am not a Canadian Citizen but I will be a permanente residente by the time I finish my degree here in the US. Canada is an option for me because my hubby and son live there..so it's either I move there or they come down here..and the last option is not looking good so far..So I am trying to get my mind ready for a big change if needed.I lived for 6 years in Montreal and miss it a lot anyway...:laugh: