Canadian Practicing Podiatry in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonkahat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this. I am considering podiatry, and giving myself the summer and following year to learn about it (hopefully shadow), and see if its something I will enjoy in the long run. If I do choose podiatry, how difficult is it for canadians/internationals to obtain residency spots, what is this competition based on, exams? some type of formal test, I'd feel more comfortable if my chances were based on that, not citizenship, but I dont know.

Now if residency is possible, and I get that, would I be able to practice in the US? I lived in the states for a long time, and many people in my family worked in the states, despite being canadians, however I know the waters get muddy when it comes to anything medical related. Any information would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would check out casprcrip.org and just browse the different programs and see if they have alien requirements. I'm sure they differ but that should get you in the right direction! Also, I would ask a younger/local podiatrist up north and see what they did. As far as practicing down here I wouldn't even know where to direct you. Might have to trade the Maple Leaf in for some Stars and Stripes. :)

There are a ton of Canadian students in podiatry school. Contact one of the schools and ask for a contact reference to find out more information from them. I know in BC you can do bunions/hammartoes but the scope is far more limited in Canada.

This topic has been covered numerous times in the past. I am sure you could find something through the search.

You compete for residency just like the other students but there are only about 1/3 of the total programs that accept Canadians/foreign students to sponsor the visa required. The caspr pages for each program are highly inaccurate and even a lot of directors dont know if they can or cant accept foreign students. That number seems to be getting smaller too. The visa is in limited numbers for the country and it costs the hospital money to get. You are not allowed to pay for it.

You need to be on top of your game both with grades and as an extern to land a spot as a foreign student. Working here after that is equally difficult. BC and ALTA (QUE?) both require residency to practice. Other provinces dont for the most part. Scope varies province to province.

I dont want to turn you off podiatry but definitely do your research so you know what you are getting into.