Canadian student 3.29 cGPA 28Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hectorswanson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a Canadian psychology major with a 3.29 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 3.42 nsGPA and a 28Q MCAT (10BS,9,9). I was wondering if I had a good shot at some of the more Canadian friendly DO schools (AZCOM, ATSU, CCOM, etc...). I had a poor first year which I redid and my stats have been pretty consistent since then. My grades in biochem were B, C+, and in organic I got B, C. My reference is from an MD (could not find a DO).
Another question I have is in regards to international med schools. If I go to an international med school, say SABA or St. Georges in August, will I still be able to interview and get accepted to an osteopathic school while being a student in the caribbean? I don't really want to wait around for a year and risk not getting accepted.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I am a Canadian psychology major with a 3.29 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 3.42 nsGPA and a 28Q MCAT (10BS,9,9). I was wondering if I had a good shot at some of the more Canadian friendly DO schools (AZCOM, ATSU, CCOM, etc...). I had a poor first year which I redid and my stats have been pretty consistent since then. My grades in biochem were B, C+, and in organic I got B, C. My reference is from an MD (could not find a DO).
When you give your stats, are you calculating the way AACOMAS would and only including the retake grade and not the original?

Their grade replacement policy requires that the retake have the same credits or greater.

What grades did you earn in upper-level Bio in the last two years?

Yes, I calculated the GPA based on the AACOMAS policy. The only other upper level science courses I took were genetics (A), and cell biology (B).

Members don't see this ad :)
Having such a low sGPA with a C+ in Biochem and only two upper-level Bio classes with decent grades to demonstrate your capability gives me concern. Do you have more science classes planned for summer and/or fall? You might have a shot as you are, but not a great shot. Are you willing to put more time into GPA repair?