Canadian student, for US schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_samrat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise77 View Post
Hey I understand your situation...I went to a not so prestigous uni and got like a 2.2 first year GPA....however for the next 4 years I received a 4.0 including all my science courses. I had to retake some courses that I failed first year, and when you apply to AMCAS it averages your failed and retook classes so my AMCAS GPA was 3.7 but uni GPA was 3.89, my MCAT was V = 8 P =11 B = 10, I applied to only 5 schools mostly between top 20-50 rankings, I interviewed at 3 and was accepted to 2 a now currently top 45 school. So my advice to you is dont let this discourage you....schools take into account your trend in grades seeing that you improved since first year...you just have to show that you really want it and specifically want their program

Hey thanks to you and others for replying.

I think i have a disadvantage of being a Canadian (interms of number of options), but here's my story again
I haven't calculated my AAMC GPA yet, but I believe my science GPA should be at least 3.5.

In my first year, I've taken courses like calculus and anthropology in which i ended up getting a D. LIke i said, my GPA was 1.8 in my first year. my other courses were ecology, chemistry and physics.

Then i changed to a diff. university and ended up with a 3.92 GPA for the next three years. For biology/chemistry and physics in my new university, i did quite well, ended with an A in all these courses.

I am writing my MCAT in July. I realize i need a really good score to beat my lower GPA.

I have loads of volunteering experience

I've volunteered @ different areas in a large hospital, rehab centers, for Canadian Cancer Society (who nominated me for Ontario Youth medal), several leadership roles donned over the last few years.

I'm currently working as an RA in a clinical microbiology lab.

I have listed out few schools that I would like to apply but I'm not sure what else I could do to make my application good.

It will be great if someone can point out where I could improve, in the next few months before submitting my application.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, it's a good idea to calculate your AMCAS GPA to make sure your estimation isn't too off.

I don't think your GPA is too bad, specially if your last 90 credits gave you a 3.92 GPA. I think it will really depend on your MCAT and your application essays at this point so make sure to do well on those.

Your school choices will also matter, you'll have much better chances of interviewing at mid to low tier schools, unless your MCAT is amazing I dont think the top 20 schools will be easy given your 1st year GPA. Good luck.

Gavanshir, thanks for the insight.

I'll try to focus on my MCATs and application then.

My university does not have a committee that exists in the US, so i'm not sure whom to ask for help for applications.

Can anyone enlighten me on that?
Thanks