Canadian Uni to US medical school gpa conversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anna33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I go to a Canadian university (UofT) and I was wondering how my GPA would be converted or adjusted if I were to apply to a medical school in the states. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Another Canadian student here. To convert your GPA into AMCAS GPA you have to take each individual grade and convert it numerically in the following list, sum them and then divide by the total number of courses. If some courses are weighted more (for example a full year course instead of a semester course, you have to take that weighting into account also.) Note that Canadian schools typically do not give extra credits for courses with labs. In the application write "with lab" and the weighting that is on your transcript. There is more information about this and applying to American schools on the Canadian forum Canadian Premed and Medical School Discussions
For UofT the conversion for each grade achieved is as follows:
A/A+: 4.0
A-: 3.7
B+: 3.3
B: 3.0
B-: 2.70
C+: 2.30
C: 2.0
C-: 1.70
D+: 1.30
D: 1.00
D-: 0.70
F: 0.00
You can see more of the percentage conversions for this on the OMSAS website.
So for example, let's say a student took all classes weighted for just one semester (0.5 at UofT I think) and they got these grades in total: A- , A- , A-, A+, A, B+.
Their GPA would be (3.7 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 3.3)/6 = 3.73
Obviously you will have a lot more courses than this. Also check the AMCAS website for further information. They have a good pdf there with instructions. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! :) @Spliced, I've seen that AMCAS site before but it was confusing :/ and I didn't know how to convert my percentages to US gpa. Would you be able to tell me where exactly/which chart to look at to convert?

Sorry to jump in and answer this but it's the very last chart "Grading System Type: Numeric - Canadian" and row number 3 for UofT :)

Thanks guys! :) @Spliced, I've seen that AMCAS site before but it was confusing :/ and I didn't know how to convert my percentages to US gpa. Would you be able to tell me where exactly/which chart to look at to convert?
What are the letter grades at UofT? A+, A, A-... or A+, A. B+, B...?