Canadian&US: GPA:3.83 MCAT:30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chd2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am a Transfer Student (a Medical school abroad...finished less than half of it)... got admission to a Canadian undergrad school and received transfer credit and then studied in Canada (4 Semester including one summer)...
I am now a Fourth year life science student. cGPA: 3.83, sGPA: 3.82 MCAT:32: PS12-VR06-BS14
I'm writing another mcat in September

**** THERE IS A TYPO IN THE TOPIC LINE. MY MCAT IS 32. NOT 30. ****:scared:
Is just one and a half year enough for schools to make their decision about my application ??
do u see Any chances for MD? Do you have any suggestion??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most Canadian schools screen out unbalanced verbal scores, so my opinion would be to look to the US. It would obviously benefit you to seek an MCAT retake as the unbalanced VR is a big problem. You might be able to sneak in with a stellar personal statement, but that is on your shoulders. I would apply broadly and quickly if you haven't already... but yeah I think you've got a shot. Though I haven't seen your actual application, but stats wise, yeah you've got a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gr8 !
Thank you... Yea I'm applying broadly... hopefully they can see that I just learned English 2 years ago !
Is there any way to cover this weak point ? Some people say getting a LOE from an English prof helps! Any other ways?
Thanks

Gr8 !
Thank you... Yea I'm applying broadly... hopefully they can see that I just learned English 2 years ago !
Is there any way to cover this weak point ? Some people say getting a LOE from an English prof helps! Any other ways?
Thanks

Make sure all of your written materials (application, communications, etc.) are high quality - have someone proofread if necessary. They'll also probably ask about it during your interview so be prepared to answer that if you decide to apply. I'm not speaking from any sort of experience/knowledge, but I would be surprised if anyone will cut you slack on having learned English so recently. It's vital that you're able to communicate clearly in English with colleagues, patients, etc. I'm not giving you advice either way, but it may be best to wait a year, improve your verbal score, and apply when there's no doubt about your abilities.

Also - this is just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt - but I've heard some schools (esp. MD) have unofficial cutoffs for MCAT subsections, sometimes of 7 or 8. Might be worth investigating the schools you're interested in before investing the time/money to apply.

Again, I don't want to discourage you, I'm just letting you know what I have heard/understood about the application process so you can look into this further.

Make sure all of your written materials (application, communications, etc.) are high quality - have someone proofread if necessary. They'll also probably ask about it during your interview so be prepared to answer that if you decide to apply. I'm not speaking from any sort of experience/knowledge, but I would be surprised if anyone will cut you slack on having learned English so recently. It's vital that you're able to communicate clearly in English with colleagues, patients, etc. I'm not giving you advice either way, but it may be best to wait a year, improve your verbal score, and apply when there's no doubt about your abilities.

Also - this is just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt - but I've heard some schools (esp. MD) have unofficial cutoffs for MCAT subsections, sometimes of 7 or 8. Might be worth investigating the schools you're interested in before investing the time/money to apply.

Again, I don't want to discourage you, I'm just letting you know what I have heard/understood about the application process so you can look into this further.

Thanks Red7 !
Very good comment... I agree with you... Actually my language is not that bad ! I took DAT exam and my Reading Ability part was 23 !! Far beyond the average ! Average is around 19 in DAT !
The thing is I'm fine with science text and everyday language but I suck at sociology and art texts,,, I am writing MCAT another time to see whether or not i can improve my score...
You are right most of the schools have a cut off for VERBAL :(:(:(:(:(:(

Well, a lot of Canadian medical schools value the Verbal. U of T would flag you with a VR < 9. Western if you aren't from Southwestern Ontario would need an 11 or more. Queens also has a hard cut-off. Considering McMaster only looks at your verbal, you would need to increase it. Would need to see some EC's for further evaluations.

For US MD, top-tier schools might not like that Low VR score. It is seen as the strongest predictor of Medical school success.

Well, a lot of Canadian medical schools value the Verbal. U of T would flag you with a VR < 9. Western if you aren't from Southwestern Ontario would need an 11 or more. Queens also has a hard cut-off. Considering McMaster only looks at your verbal, you would need to increase it. Would need to see some EC's for further evaluations.

For US MD, top-tier schools might not like that Low VR score. It is seen as the strongest predictor of Medical school success.

Yes I've heard that some people say it is a good indicator for success in medical field:mad::mad: !!!!!!!!
I'll apply to most medium tier and low tier american schools and wait to see what happens ! It's the only thing that i can do...
I must forget Canadian schools apparently :scared:

Yes I've heard that some people say it is a good indicator for success in medical field:mad::mad: !!!!!!!!
I'll apply to most medium tier and low tier american schools and wait to see what happens ! It's the only thing that i can do...
I must forget Canadian schools apparently :scared:

Would you mind posting your OMSAS GPA? Would be a better indicator of your chances in Ontario Medical schools. Keep in mind, mid-tier US medical schools tend to be state schools which prefer their instate students vs out of state or international students. Maybe if you redo the MCAT and maintain your PS and BS, and increase your VR, you could try to apply for top tier schools. Your GPA is good enough for a shot.

Would you mind posting your OMSAS GPA? Would be a better indicator of your chances in Ontario Medical schools. Keep in mind, mid-tier US medical schools tend to be state schools which prefer their instate students vs out of state or international students. Maybe if you redo the MCAT and maintain your PS and BS, and increase your VR, you could try to apply for top tier schools. Your GPA is good enough for a shot.

Thank you for your response.
As I havent applied through omsas yet I havent my omsas GPA...
I am studying verbal reasoning ... it is very hard for me as a someone who just learned english last year !! However biology part is almost like a joke !! Hopefully I can get a better Verbal. Do you really think that my GPA is good enough for top tier schools?

Thank you for your response.
As I havent applied through omsas yet I havent my omsas GPA...
I am studying verbal reasoning ... it is very hard for me as a someone who just learned english last year !! However biology part is almost like a joke !! Hopefully I can get a better Verbal. Do you really think that my GPA is good enough for top tier schools?

Here is an OMSAS table to convert your GPA to their GPA. http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Certainly top schools in the USA. Their GPA's tend to be around 3.7-3.85 or so. Yeah, I can see how VR can be difficult especially if you are new to the English language. For UofT, their average GPA is 3.88 on the OMSAS scale, but it is more on the high end side of things.

my Omsas GPA is 3.8 . so I'm thinking of USA only.
I;ve heard from some people that they will see the total MCAT score and if I'm weak in verbal part I can compensate that in other parts so schools are not picky about each part alone while other people say that they have certain cut off for each part and it is definitely above 7 at least !
I'm too confused..... have any of heard anything about the above hypothesis ?