Canadians financing their education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galen1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do it? I'm thinking of the following plan to keep me going at least in the first few years at NYU:

- RBC Professional L.O. Credit - 150,000 CDN
+
- Citibank loans - 40K/year

If anyone can share what methods they used to finance their education that'd be awesome... I'm really stressed about all of this, any help or guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated. Also if anyone can share some info on acquiring the Student VISA (I-20) and how that affects your loans, please post!!!

Thanks in advance! :) Please help out your fellow countryman! LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Galen1 said:
How do you guys do it? I'm thinking of the following plan to keep me going at least in the first few years at NYU:

+

If anyone can share what methods they used to finance their education that'd be awesome... I'm really stressed about all of this, any help or guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated. Also if anyone can share some info on acquiring the Student VISA (I-20) and how that affects your loans, please post!!!

Loans from financial institutions alone are not enough depending which dental school you are with. This is one of many disadvantages being Canadian. I funded my education from loans with the banks, selling of my real estate property and car, borrow $$$ from family and extended family. Being a future dentist people are more willingly to lend you $$$. There is always a solution for every problem. Good luck.

DrToof said:
Loans from financial institutions alone are not enough depending which dental school you are with. This is one of many disadvantages being Canadian. I funded my education from loans with the banks, selling of my real estate property and car, borrow $$$ from family and extended family. Being a future dentist people are more willingly to lend you $$$. There is always a solution for every problem. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I too will be counting on some level of family support, but I don't want to be a burden... At least I'm going into D-School with no previous debts, so I hope I'll be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)

+

Wow did you transfer to McGill after first year?

+

There are federal and provincial loan options as well. I believe federal loan will give $210/week and you can apply for grants too. Provincial loans allow up to $95,000 total for education costs (for dental+previous undergrad loans)