Canadians in the Carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatemenot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian student and soon will be deciding on where to apply. I've done the research and so far i've been scared.

Coming back to Canada after pursuing a MD in the Carribeans is as far stretched as baseball becoming interesting.

I know people aquire Visas for the States, but what about doing your residency in Canada?

Possible ?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian student and soon will be deciding on where to apply. I've done the research and so far i've been scared.

Coming back to Canada after pursuing a MD in the Carribeans is as far stretched as baseball becoming interesting.

I know people aquire Visas for the States, but what about doing your residency in Canada?

Possible ?

Almost impossible. I won't say absolutely impossible but almost...

The USA is your best shot, but you're not an American citizen so it'll be more difficult for you.

Some people have done it. But it is rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should note the carib students who matched into a Canadian residency all got family practice, no other options.

I am looking at Saba because I am Canadian as well. I am only looking at Saba because I notice the most Canadians on their residency match list VS other schools I have looked at. Theres even some one in surgery. Of course many FM ones, but if you work hard I'm sure you can get into what you want.

Saba matched something like 12-14 into Canadian residencies. Mostly in Family medicine but in Ortho, Surgery and Opthom too. I am sure there are connections invloved but it is possible as long as you take all the proper exams and follow the rules.

I am planning on trying to do residency in Canada but working in the states. It is a lofty goal but it won't happen if I don't try.

That's interesting. Just curious but home you do not want to do residency in the US. Seeing as how you are going to work there.

I know someone in psych from Ross, another in radiology at U of T from Ross. Greatest chances are in FM. You have to be a good student and do lots of rotations in Canada.

That's interesting. Just curious but home you do not want to do residency in the US. Seeing as how you are going to work there.

The training is equal or better and as a Canadian citizen, I won't have to worry about the visa issues.

Okay, so its very difficult to do residency in Canada, but we are all allowed to write the Canadian board exams and get liscenced in Canada correct? I will be going to AUC next year (and was a McGill student too! McGillGrad, which school are you at?)

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but canadians should really be cautious before heading to the carribean. The odds of matching in canada are low, even for FM. The US is no longer the fallback it used to be as residency spots are becoming more scarce. More importantly, where is the tuition money coming from? Its a really risky proposition to borrow that much money, with a significant risk of not paying it back.