Canadians with dual citizenship,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redkaiser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a Canadian with a dual citizenship, reading all this mumbo jumbo on statements of need I'm really considering using my other nationality to apply for J1, Thing is I'm already a Canadian on ecfmg! anyone got any ideas? if I get accepted into a US residency can I just use my other nationality for j1?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you already a Canadian with ECFMG? I guess you needed to do that to write the steps?

If so...i think its too late now, you need to consistently use your other nationality. But best to talk to them and ask for a definitive answer!

Yeah just to write the steps (for id issues), but hey read this from ecfmg

(Note: If permanent residence is in a country other than that of citizenship, the Ministry of Health letter
must come from the country of most recent legal permanent residence.)
So basically I can still get the son from a second country, man this is confusing

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah just to write the steps (for id issues), but hey read this from ecfmg

(Note: If permanent residence is in a country other than that of citizenship, the Ministry of Health letter
must come from the country of most recent legal permanent residence.)
So basically I can still get the son from a second country, man this is confusing

Well, was the country of your most recent legal permanent residence the country other than Canada? If so then you have hope.

If you lived in Canada as a permenant residence before going to the US for your MD/PhD...then you're probably out of luck? I have ZERO idea.

You're going to have to call ECFMG and talk to multiple people. And maybe consult a lawyer with knowledge on this.

ECMG says you must use the country of last residence regardless of country of citizenship.