Cancelling an interview 24 hours before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a DO acceptance, but I also have an interview at a school I really no longer have interest in attending tomorrow. I originally planned on just going on the interview to see what the school was like, but after researching more about the school and trying to plan out how I'm getting there (taking a bunch of trains/buses), I realize I really, really don't want to go. I know it's pretty scummy to cancel the interview on such short notice, but if accepted, I'd also be conceivably taking the acceptance of someone who may want to attend the school.

Further, the DO school I did get into requires a $2k deposit due Friday, and even if I wanted to attend this new school, I wouldn't hear back before then.

What should I do? Should I just go on the interview rather than cancelling 24 hours before?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have a DO acceptance, but I also have an interview at a school I really no longer have interest in attending tomorrow. I originally planned on just going on the interview to see what the school was like, but after researching more about the school and trying to plan out how I'm getting there (taking a bunch of trains/buses), I realize I really, really don't want to go. I know it's pretty scummy to cancel the interview on such short notice, but if accepted, I'd also be conceivably taking the acceptance of someone who may want to attend the school.

Further, the DO school I did get into requires a $2k deposit due Friday, and even if I wanted to attend this new school, I wouldn't hear back before then.

What should I do? Should I just go on the interview rather than cancelling 24 hours before?
just cancel asap. maybe someone who really wants to go there in the area will be able to hop into your II spot at the last minute

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah just cancel, it's not like they will have any input on the rest of your life (most likely) anyway, and they understand. i'm sure there are people who just don't cancel and don't show up.

yeah just cancel, it's not like they will have any input on the rest of your life (most likely) anyway, and they understand. i'm sure there are people who just don't cancel and don't show up.
My other concern is that I still have a few MD interviews pending, and I'm worried they'll contact AMCAS or something to say how unprofessional I am. I am being overly-neurotic, right?

My other concern is that I still have a few MD interviews pending, and I'm worried they'll contact AMCAS or something to say how unprofessional I am. I am being overly-neurotic, right?

ugh. yes you are. do you realize how stupid that sounds? these schools aren't going to waste their time caring. they only care if you're going to be paying money to them, the second you say that you aren't, they move on to the next person in the line of hundreds of applicants that they have waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty sure that only a no-show without a good reason is the only thing that could hurt you. The program will thank you for not wasting their time.

Reactions: 1 user
You are overly neurotic, yes. But SDN was made for folks like you.

Seriously, cancel asap and don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I call a "lazy brain question" when my 12 year old asks me something like this. You already know the answer.

Schools are quite capable of dealing with cancellations at short notice. It's not like they won't have anyone else o interview that day.

Reactions: 2 users

I guess you can send them a letter or an email telling them you wish to withdraw your application. I have heard of people who were MIA on interviews.

Slightly off topic but do i have to respond to schools if they send me an II email if I don't plan on attending???

Slightly off topic but do i have to respond to schools if they send me an II email if I don't plan on attending???

i haven't. i'm assuming this is all automatic in terms of cutoffs, so i'm guessing that it doesn't affect anybody. i could be wrong but.. meh.

i haven't. i'm assuming this is all automatic in terms of cutoffs, so i'm guessing that it doesn't affect anybody. i could be wrong but.. meh.
Yea... I'm sure they will figure it out...

Yea... I'm sure they will figure it out...

if it's all automated like i think it is, they probably won't even have any idea unless they run a report on who has been sent a secondary and who has returned it.

if it's all automated like i think it is, they probably won't even have any idea unless they run a report on who has been sent a secondary and who has returned it.
yeah... it'll figure something out...

I don't think it takes much effort to just send them an email politely declining the interview offer. That way they can get to work on replacing you with someone else.

sorry there, i read too quickly. i thought he/she meant secondary... if they extend you an interview invite you should decline as that part is not automatic and a real person is doing this kind of stuff. plus they only send out so many interview invites because they have limited spots available.

Done. Sent. Don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user