Cancelling an interview timeframe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

i'm thinking of cancelling one this friday. i hope it isn't too rude, but after getting into a school this past Friday, I know there is no way I'd rather go to this other school!

i'm cancelling one on monday for monday. i hope that's not too rude.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if you gotta do it, you gotta do it. i think they'll understand, as long as the whole of your interview group doesn't decide to no-show all at once.

Yeah me too. I never thought how much i would despise interviewing and all the traveling involved. Time to send some rejections of my own :laugh: .

If you are canceling interviews, do you also have to formally withdraw from the school?

If you guys cancel immediately, it gives others a chance to fill the spot.

GOBUCKY!

well, if you're talking about postponing your interview, the sooner, the better. if you're talking about canceling, as in "i'm no longer interested in this school," then who cares? what's the worst they could do, not accept you? don't be rude without good reason, but at this point, you're the one running the show.

superdevil said:
well, if you're talking about postponing your interview, the sooner, the better. if you're talking about canceling, as in "i'm no longer interested in this school," then who cares? what's the worst they could do, not accept you? don't be rude without good reason, but at this point, you're the one running the show.

yeah as early as possible... but don't do it the same day. maybe 3-4 days before, max.

also, i think you need to be as nice as possible. you're also a reflection of your school and advisor. if you do it in a careless, rude way, future applicants from your school could suffer.

ssk123 said:
yeah as early as possible... but don't do it the same day. maybe 3-4 days before, max.

also, i think you need to be as nice as possible. you're also a reflection of your school and advisor. if you do it in a careless, rude way, future applicants from your school could suffer.

i agree. burning bridges is bad. what if you end up at the school in question for a residency in the future or something? plus, with "reason" or not, being kind and polite is always good. in fact. that, in itself, IS a reason.

striped sweater said:
plus, with "reason" or not, being kind and polite is always good. in fact. that, in itself, IS a reason.
what i meant by "rude" was the late notice itself. so by saying "don't be rude without good reason" i just meant don't cancel last-minute without having a good reason (for instance, being accepted to your first-choice school two days before an interview, then canceling the day before the interview).

i feel that this thread borders on typical pre-med hysteria and paranoia that SDN so brilliantly cultivates. if you don't want to go to a f*cking interview, then don't f*cking go. this is your life. if the school's interview group only has 19/20 students that day, they'll get over it. now, not notifying them at all is certainly not kosher, but i don't think that's being discussed.

Originally Posted by CheckMate
What is the official way of withdrawing applications from schools?
call them to find out. many schools only accept written withdrawls, though.

I agree. I think med schools would rather we say, "I'm sorry, I just got in to my top choice school and I don't want to waste your interviewers' valuable time," than to have interviewers spend time with an interviewee who definitely will not be coming. Of course, try to cancel as early as possible, but not sense in wasting everyone's time.