This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boundlesscorpuscle

MD Class of 2023!
Reaction score
I have been extremely lucky to receive many interview invites this cycle at a lot of great schools. I had originally planned on attending any interviews I received, but I hadn't anticipated how many invites I would get and exactly how expensive travelling would be. Now that I have an acceptance in hand, I am considering cancelling my last three OOS interviews. I know the general recommendation is to attend all interviews, because you may end up really liking the program, but at this point it would honestly be difficult to afford airfare for these interviews.

I have already attended one IS interview, three OOS, and have two more IS this coming week. I have one acceptance in hand. The three interviews I am considering cancelling are at least two weeks away, so I feel that would give the programs enough time to offer my slots to other applicants. What is your recommendation?

TL;DR: I have been accepted and want to cancel upcoming OOS interviews to save money, but I feel guilty. Should I cancel the interviews?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Cancel the interviews you don’t want to attend. Research and rank them, and then decide which you want to cancel. Make sure you give them 2 weeks in advance at least. Why feel guilty about declining interviews? It could go to someone with no II or no A

Reactions: 2 users
I have been extremely lucky to receive many interview invites this cycle at a lot of great schools. I had originally planned on attending any interviews I received, but I hadn't anticipated how many invites I would get and exactly how expensive travelling would be. Now that I have an acceptance in hand, I am considering cancelling my last three OOS interviews. I know the general recommendation is to attend all interviews, because you may end up really liking the program, but at this point it would honestly be difficult to afford airfare for these interviews.

I have already attended one IS interview, three OOS, and have two more IS this coming week. I have one acceptance in hand. The three interviews I am considering cancelling are at least two weeks away, so I feel that would give the programs enough time to offer my slots to other applicants. What is your recommendation?

TL;DR: I have been accepted and want to cancel upcoming OOS interviews to save money, but I feel guilty. Should I cancel the interviews?

Thanks for your help!
Since you have an acceptance in hand, you can do what you want. I always encourage people to continue with all their schools until they receive financial aid info. The $300 investment in interview costs could end up saving you thousands of dollars down the line if that school decides to offer you a scholarship. In the end it's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cancel the interviews you don’t want to attend. Research and rank them, and then decide which you want to cancel. Make sure you give them 2 weeks in advance at least. Why feel guilty about declining interviews? It could go to someone with no II or no A

Thanks for your reply! I guess part of me realizes what a privilege it was to receive these interview invites and, having already accepted them, I feel some guilt in turning them down. On the other hand, it would be great to see the spots go to another deserving applicant waiting on a reply.

Since you have an acceptance in hand, you can do what you want. I always encourage people to continue with all their schools until they receive financial aid info. The $300 investment in interview costs could end up saving you thousands of dollars down the line if that school decides to offer you a scholarship. In the end it's up to you.

Thank you for your reply!

I spent a lot of time considering the programs I applied to and only submitted to schools I could truly see myself attending, so it is definitely difficult to turn down interviews. And I completely agree regarding the financial aid offers. However, the school I received an acceptance from was NYU, and so the full tuition scholarship, despite the high cost of living in Manhattan, does make me a bit more comfortable in regards to finances.

Having three OOS interviews, I would be looking at around $900 to attend all three, and I know this would not be feasible for me personally without getting some extra help from family or credit cards. That's really the only reason I am considering cancelling.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply!

I spent a lot of time considering the programs I applied to and only submitted to schools I could truly see myself attending, so it is definitely difficult to turn down interviews. And I completely agree regarding the financial aid offers. However, the school I received an acceptance from was NYU, and so the full tuition scholarship, despite the high cost of living in Manhattan, does make me a bit more comfortable in regards to finances.

Having three OOS interviews, I would be looking at around $900 to attend all three, and I know this would not be feasible for me personally without getting some extra help from family or credit cards. That's really the only reason I am considering cancelling.
In that case I would cancel them and go to NYU

Reactions: 2 users
You millenials really can't do anything in your own! Say yes to NYU. Done. Your welcome.

Haha, you may have a point! I really like NYU, and free tuition is definitely hard to turn down, but I am still considering other programs pending acceptance and financial aid offers.