Cancelling interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastcoastdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to cancel interviews after you have already confirmed dates? Say you booked too many, and then interviews start rolling in for programs you are VERY interested in. How much notice should you give? I'm assuming 2-3 weeks is enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to cancel interviews after you have already confirmed dates? Say you booked too many, and then interviews start rolling in for programs you are VERY interested in. How much notice should you give? I'm assuming 2-3 weeks is enough?

Do it as soon as possible so the program can offer your spot to someone else. Programs won't mind that much if you cancel within a reasonable amount of time--they would rather interview someone who does want to go to their program.

I dunno...at least two weeks...that gives them a reasonable amount of time to find someone else to replace you.

But cancel as soon as you change your mind, don't wait until the last minute.

in your opinion, what's the definition of reasonable amount of time?

thanks!

Cancel as soon as you know! Perhaps programs in larger cities don't have problems arranging last-minute fill ins from their waiting lists, but programs in areas without direct major airport access have a much more difficult time. Aside from that issue, great applicants who are wait listed for a specific date often make other arrangements as time passes and they receive additional interview offers. I've had to go pretty far down my wait list to find someone still available to fill a cancellation, and it's time consuming at a time when I just don't have a lot of time. Interview days involve a lot of effort and planning so that a cancellation even 2-3 days before an interview has the same effect as not showing up: The chance of filling the spot is vanishingly small, which requires re-doing EVERYONE'S itinerary and interview packet, and it's too late to adjust the catering order for either the night-before dinner or the day-of lunch. (I know, I hear the world's tiniest violin playing too.)

Cancellations happen and are part of the process and programs expect them. It's a mark of professionalism that applicants can make the tough choices of where to interview (and where not to interview) and give programs notice that their plans have changed. Anything to help mitigate the number of spinning plates that have to fall at one time is truly appreciated.

Cancel as soon as you know! Perhaps programs in larger cities don't have problems arranging last-minute fill ins from their waiting lists, but programs in areas without direct major airport access have a much more difficult time. Aside from that issue, great applicants who are wait listed for a specific date often make other arrangements as time passes and they receive additional interview offers. I've had to go pretty far down my wait list to find someone still available to fill a cancellation, and it's time consuming at a time when I just don't have a lot of time. Interview days involve a lot of effort and planning so that a cancellation even 2-3 days before an interview has the same effect as not showing up: The chance of filling the spot is vanishingly small, which requires re-doing EVERYONE'S itinerary and interview packet, and it's too late to adjust the catering order for either the night-before dinner or the day-of lunch. (I know, I hear the world's tiniest violin playing too.)

Cancellations happen and are part of the process and programs expect them. It's a mark of professionalism that applicants can make the tough choices of where to interview (and where not to interview) and give programs notice that their plans have changed. Anything to help mitigate the number of spinning plates that have to fall at one time is truly appreciated.

your thoughts are REALLY appreciated - thank you!

How quickly are you expected to reject an interview invitation after receiving the email?

I assume we are supposed to reply with something so they can offer interviews to other candidates/ not risk over booking. Im just not sure how and when to politely reject an interview when you haven't even scheduled it yet. I was planning on a short email thanking them for the opportunity but turning down the invite to the coordinator.

How quickly are you expected to reject an interview invitation after receiving the email?

I assume we are supposed to reply with something so they can offer interviews to other candidates/ not risk over booking. Im just not sure how and when to politely reject an interview when you haven't even scheduled it yet. I was planning on a short email thanking them for the opportunity but turning down the invite to the coordinator.

Bingo. Don't schedule an interview that you know you aren't going to attend. Don't hold onto an invitation that you know you'll eventually decline. You can reply with something along the lines of "Thank you very much for the oportunity to interview with [fill in the blank] program. Unfortunately, I will not be able to accept the invitation." If you want to include a reason (like schedule overcommitment or conflicts with other interviews already scheduled, or outside your preferred geographic region) you can, but it's really not necessary. Programs don't have that much invested in you yet.

Wow, some have so many IVs that they are cancelling and some don't even have 1 IV. Wish you good luck! I hope to get some luck in near future. :)