Program-Specific Info / Q's Candidacy Status

Started by PAOT19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PAOT19

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering going to a program that has not been accredited yet, but it does have candidacy status. I'm looking for some input from others who have been in this situation. Has anyone been the first cohort to a program or gone through a program that was still in candidacy? How did it play out for you? Thank you!
 
I'm considering going to a program that has not been accredited yet, but it does have candidacy status. I'm looking for some input from others who have been in this situation. Has anyone been the first cohort to a program or gone through a program that was still in candidacy? How did it play out for you? Thank you!

Which program? No I don't suggest being part of the first class and spending 2 years and $70,000+ and possibly not being able to practice as an OT. If you only get accepted to an unaccredited school I recommend being in the second class then you can find out in the first semester if they receive accreditation. Hope that helps.

Did you apply/get accepted to any accredited schools? It's hard for us to help you without knowing your entire story
 
Which program? No I don't suggest being part of the first class and spending 2 years and $70,000+ and possibly not being able to practice as an OT. If you only get accepted to an unaccredited school I recommend being in the second class then you can find out in the first semester if they receive accreditation. Hope that helps.

Did you apply/get accepted to any accredited schools? It's hard for us to help you without knowing your entire story

I did apply to accredited programs but I've been accepted to a program that wasn't. I know there is a chance but from the people I've talked to it seems to be normally a program gets accredited unless they really mess up 9/10 times. I was hoping someone has been the first cohort to see what they experienced.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What other schools did you apply to? And did you have to interview for the school you got accepted to?
 
What other schools did you apply to? And did you have to interview for the school you got accepted to?
I applied to over 10 schools. I'm still waiting on 2 but my best situation location and money wise seems to be the program I got accepted to that is not accredited yet.
 
When I was still getting my observation hours, I talked with a LIIFW student who was in the first cohort of a program. She said that it would be frustrating at times because as the first class you're basically the guinea pig. The professor's did a good job keeping communication lines open so that the incoming cohorts would benefit from feedback, but again there were no benefits for the first class. She said even though it was frustrating, she was happy with the program because the profs were very supportive. The program did end up becoming accredited.
 
I applied to over 10 schools. I'm still waiting on 2 but my best situation location and money wise seems to be the program I got accepted to that is not accredited yet.


10 schools? Wow that's a lot. Most schools notify students in mid February or March. I'm sure you will get into one of the other 9. Honestly it's too risky to attend an unaccredited program. The little money you may save by attending an unaccredited program is not worth the stress of worrying if you can take the license test when you graduate. Take my advise and pay more for an accredited program. When you graduate you should be making $60,000-65,000 at leas and can pay your loans off in 2-3 years if you watch your money.
 
They are on candidacy. I called the AOTA.

We neeed to know if you were accepted into other programs that are accredited. If not you may want to take a year off from school and improve your application so you can get into an accredited school.
 
I'm considering going to a program that has not been accredited yet, but it does have candidacy status. I'm looking for some input from others who have been in this situation. Has anyone been the first cohort to a program or gone through a program that was still in candidacy? How did it play out for you? Thank you!

The schools have to go through such a hard and long process to become accredited that once they reach candidacy they will most likely become accredited. I talked to some professors and advisors about schools that are in the candidacy stage and they said that no OT program has ever been granted candidacy and not become accredited. I totally understand your hesitation but I would talk to the people who are starting the program about if they have any doubts, and also see what their backgrounds are (such as how long have they been OT's and what their expectations are for the program). I would also see what other programs they have that are accredited and if they are a well known school (if they have a PT program or something similar to OT then I would not be as nervous). Also keep in mind that someone has to be part of the first cohort in every single program and also that schools have to work to keep their accreditation so even if you get accepted into an accredited program it could always lose their accreditation.