Cannabis and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoitusInterruptus

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Given the wave of legalization sweeping the nation and the perennially optimistic research that seems to surface daily (Study on cannabis chemical as a treatment for pancreatic cancer may have 'major impact,' Harvard researcher says), have you guys prepared to talk about your personal thoughts on marijuana? I know med schools want the real you and it sounds disingenuous if you adopt a stance that is what you think they want to hear but who are we kidding? We have to market and package ourselves in the image of what an ideal doctor is and I'm not sure what an ideal doctor would say to "what do you say to a patient with intractable Tourette's or Parkinsons who sweats marijuana is the only thing that works for them?" On one hand, if it works for the patient it works but I guess it's about consulting the literature?

I realize Davis is way ahead of the game (https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article234184937.html) so they might be cool to talk to about it, but I'm visualizing the bow-tied paternalistic WASP-y old-school doctor as a stereotypical interviewer who might have internalized socially and politically motivated marijuana caginess.

No more secondaries means
1566417209753.png
like this

Members don't see this ad.

If someone asks for my opinion on something, I am not afraid to share. Otherwise, I won't bring it up.

Reactions: 8 users
Given the wave of legalization sweeping the nation and the perennially optimistic research that seems to surface daily (Study on cannabis chemical as a treatment for pancreatic cancer may have 'major impact,' Harvard researcher says), have you guys prepared to talk about your personal thoughts on marijuana? I know med schools want the real you and it sounds disingenuous if you adopt a stance that is what you think they want to hear but who are we kidding? We have to market and package ourselves in the image of what an ideal doctor is and I'm not sure what an ideal doctor would say to "what do you say to a patient with intractable Tourette's or Parkinsons who sweats marijuana is the only thing that works for them?" On one hand, if it works for the patient it works but I guess it's about consulting the literature?

I realize Davis is way ahead of the game (https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article234184937.html) so they might be cool to talk to about it, but I'm visualizing the bow-tied paternalistic WASP-y old-school doctor as a stereotypical interviewer who might have internalized socially and politically motivated marijuana caginess.

No more secondaries means View attachment 277281 like this
If you wanna go ultra high-yield, you can talk about how the budding (lol) marijuana industry in states where it is legalized has led to a large gap in who owns and operates marijuana dispensaries. less than 2% of all legal Marijuana shops and growers in the US are Black owned, yet many proponents of legalized marijuana pushed it as a means of recompense towards minority communities harmed by the war on drugs.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
high yee-ld indeed, friendo. takeaway message: be this guy
1566417961844.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If you wanna go ultra high-yield, you can talk about how the budding (lol) marijuana industry in states where it is legalized has led to a large gap in who owns and operates marijuana dispensaries. less than 2% of all legal Marijuana shops and growers in the US are Black owned, yet many proponents of legalized marijuana pushed it as a means of recompense towards minority communities harmed by the war on drugs.
Or how the degree of taxation affects the market. Oregon has some of the lowest marijuana taxes, and thus the illicit market has plummeted to less than 10% of their in-state market. However, California has a lot higher taxes, so their illicit marijuana trade is still 2/3 of the market.

Or you could talk about how the legalization of marijuana has led to a decrease in mexican cartels and an increase in state-to-state illegal trade. Of the annual 11 billion pounds of legally grown marijuana in the State of California, 0.6 billion is sold as medical in the state, 1.5 billion pounds is sold domestically in the state, and the other 9 billion pounds is exported to other states where it is not recreationally legal, such as NJ, NY, NC, and Idaho being the largest consumers. So this leads to proponents of federal legalization stating "We are going to sell it across borders either way, so lets just make it legal?"

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Anything you burn up and inhale isn’t going to be good for you.

Reactions: 7 users
But at the same time, I would never want my hypothetical kid's pediatric neurosurgeon to be smoking the stuff.......damn I'm at a loss

Reactions: 1 users
Just make sure to mention that occasionally there is a bad batch of weed in town and people go bat-s**t crazy! Laced with bath salts etc. And the story is always the same lolz. "I didn't do it. I was with some people in the same room and they smoked. I didn't smoke. I was just there but there was so much smoke that I guess, not willingly..." lolz. Contact-high :)

• Haha
I think there are medical implications for marijuana, more specifically the THC, but I do not agree with public use. Most people don't use this drug for medical purposes, most use it to get to an altered state of mind and that is what I do not agree with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Light one up and offer it to your interviewer, so they'll know you're cool.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
People say that, but I've never heard of anyone actually getting laced weed other than creeps doing it maliciously to females they wanted to intoxicate
Just make sure to mention that occasionally there is a bad batch of weed in town and people go bat-s**t crazy! Laced with bath salts etc. And the story is always the same lolz. "I didn't do it. I was with some people in the same room and they smoked. I didn't smoke. I was just there but there was so much smoke that I guess, not willingly..." lolz. Contact-high :)

I think there are medical implications for marijuana, more specifically the THC, but I do not agree with public use. Most people don't use this drug for medical purposes, most use it to get to an altered state of mind and that is what I do not agree with.

You ever drink alcohol?

Reactions: 5 users
So don't do it

Edit: Wrong original quote

Reactions: 1 user
That's fair, those are similar in the sense that they both mentally impair. I wouldn't want a surgeon performing on me drunk and I wouldn't want him doing it high either.

I don't think many people would argue with that. There are valid arguments for what one should be able to do on their free time though.
That's fair, those are similar in the sense that they both mentally impair. I wouldn't want a surgeon performing on me drunk and I wouldn't want him doing it high either.

The point of any question like this about a political/controversial topic is not to see if you have the "right" opinion. It's to see if you're a reasonable, somewhat intelligent person who can see both sides of an argument. If somebody asks you what your thoughts are on medical marijuana, your response should be something like "I think X because A, B and C are good, but also D, E, and F might happen and those are bad."

An "ideal doctor" doesn't necessarily have a specific opinion, they're just capable of wrestling with ideas intelligently and reasonably. “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”

What if they want us to take an actual stance? Are we able to simply avoid the question by listing pros and cons?

The govt approved usage so they could tax it. I'm still waiting for Surgeon General approval and recommendations from FDA. A clear example of govt wanted the money at expense of public safety. This was approved in the wrong order, which comes as no surprise.

Reactions: 3 users
What if they want us to take an actual stance? Are we able to simply avoid the question by listing pros and cons?
Make a well defended argument then same as you would for any other time you are put on the spot about an issue

Make a well defended argument then same as you would for any other time you are put on the spot about an issue
So should we always take a stance on every issue? Is it enough to say that I understand both sides, or do I have to also choose a side?

On another note, when should you ideally stop occasional use of weed to avoid detection in drug tests, 3 months? OBviOUslY aSkINg fOR a fRIEnd
Also does anyone know if weed pens (90% THC) take longer to clear

• Haha
I did have someone light up a cigarette. I can promise you the outcome was predictable!

Was this back in like the 70's/80's where smoking in establishments was considered the norm?

You ever drink alcohol?

These are kind of my thoughts around marijuana. There was a time where people felt the same about alcohol. I personally don't use marijuana but have several acquaintances/friends who do and are exceptional members of society. While I wouldn't promote its use to my future children just as I wouldn't alcohol, the people I know that do use it do so for stress management, appetite stimulation, etc., and they seem to be better because of it.

To answer the OP's question though, if it comes up in an interview I would take somewhat of a neutral stance as there still is much to be researched/discovered about it

On another note, when should you ideally stop occasional use of weed to avoid detection in drug tests, 3 months? OBviOUslY aSkINg fOR a fRIEnd

I feel this question is just as impossible to answer as the "how should I study for the MCAT inquiries". It really is unique to the individual and depends on metabolism, how many places it has to "hide" in the body, and other factors. There's talk about people passing a drug screen after 2 days of lots of fluids, whereas others take a "holiday" for 30 days prior. I would tell your friend to order some self-administered kits from Amazon to track. My brother did this when he was cleaning his act up (both physically and metaphorically) for the military.

Depends on how often its used. The three months number is for chronic daily users, but if i were your friend I'd wait at least 30 days even for occasional use just to be safe, not worth failing.

1566484897381.png

• Haha
Were they an international student? There are quite a few places throughout the world where this is still the norm (although you'd have to be shockingly unaware of US culture to do this)

@gyngyn I'm at a loss for words haha...yup I got nothin'
Imagine how I felt. I had to point out that ours was a smoke free campus...
I was even more surprised to learn that an estimated 20% of our current students have smoked (or more likely vaped) in the last month.
Now that is serious.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Imagine how I felt. I had to point out that ours was a smoke free campus...
I was even more surprised to learn that an estimated 20% of our current students have smoked (or more likely vaped) in the last month.
Now that is serious.

I imagine the experience landed itself towards the top of your "things that make you scratch your head and question one's judgement and situational awareness" list.

Admittedly, I was a light smoker in my adolescent years. It started with the occasional gas station cigarillo in an effort to "fit in" with neighborhood kids. That led to cigarettes while working a restaurant job. Other employees would say, "man I can't stand the smell of those Black & Milds, here smoke a cigarette instead". Retrospectively, smoking for me became what alcohol does for some, a maladaptive coping mechanism. I imagine this could be a reason for the alarming statistics of your current students.

I imagine the experience landed itself towards the top of your "things that make you scratch your head and question one's judgement and situational awareness" list.

Admittedly, I was a light smoker in my adolescent years. It started with the occasional gas station cigarillo in an effort to "fit in" with neighborhood kids. That led to cigarettes while working a restaurant job. Other employees would say, "man I can't stand the smell of those Black & Milds, here smoke a cigarette instead". Retrospectively, smoking for me became what alcohol does for some, a maladaptive coping mechanism. I imagine this could be a reason for the alarming statistics of your current students.

It’s safe to assume that gyngyn did a rotation in the ER. Given that, the above experience is probably far in the middle...

I did have someone light up a cigarette. I can promise you the outcome was predictable!
What!? Why would someone think this was ok to do? Did you start coughing super loudly? Did you immediately end the interview?

But at the same time, I would never want my hypothetical kid's pediatric neurosurgeon to be smoking the stuff.......damn I'm at a loss
Why? why do you care if this hypothetical pediatric neurosurgeon who is probably well established and respected in his field smoked a joint while relaxing with some friends on his last weekend off?

Depends on how often its used. The three months number is for chronic daily users, but if i were your friend I'd wait at least 30 days even for occasional use just to be safe, not worth failing.

View attachment 277346

Im a bit lazy to look for the actual study, but one fairly sizable diverse study found average time to clean (at the 50ng/mL threshold) occurs on average in 14 days. This was for their most heavyweight and chronic use group, with the longest time to 3 consistent clean readings being 28 days.

Im a bit lazy to look for the actual study, but one fairly sizable diverse study found average time to clean (at the 50ng/mL threshold) occurs on average in 14 days. This was for their most heavyweight and chronic use group, with the longest time to 3 consistent clean readings being 28 days.
As a chubby dude I appreciate that you picked the heaviest group

But...the real question is, were they dressed appropriately? :rofl:

Why? why do you care if this hypothetical pediatric neurosurgeon who is probably well established and respected in his field smoked a joint while relaxing with some friends on his last weekend off?
lol i hope you're not projecting but why do you think hospitals and med schools drug test for THC?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-22 13.29.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-22 13.29.43.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 127
I know some hospitals do it because their insurance would be more expensive. Is your arguement against thc that's it's bad because it's on standard drug tests? If alcohol was just invented it would probably be illegal too
lol i hope you're not projecting but why do you think hospitals and med schools drug test for THC?

because its still federally schedule 1 and med schools need to be federally compliant in all senses for many reasons. Just because they test for it doesnt mean using responsibly, at any stage or status in life, is wrong.

• Dislike