Cannabis = placebo for pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with bedrock.. seems to placate the young chemical coping crowd that usually cusses at you for not giving them opioids.. but all in all probably not as harmful as long term opioids. And since I don’t prescribe it it’s a win for me.

The ultimate example of GIGO meta-analysis is poo-poo.

"Let us be clear: Cannabis is not laetrile. This is not a matter of collective delusion, nor some conspiratorial smokescreen. A recent experiment demonstrates the real-time opioid-sparing efficacy of THC with oxycodone [5], whereas a plethora of observational studies document opioid and other adjunctive drug reduction or discontinuation in large numbers of patients with chronic pain conditions, including fibromyalgia [9]. It requires emphasis that many such results have often been attained with unstandardized cannabis chemovars, and not with agents that have been selectively bred to enhance analgesic efficacy through combinations of the most efficacious components to reduce pain (THC, CBD, beta-caryophyllene) or minimize adverse events (CBD, limonene, alpha-pinene, linalool)."

editorial from 3 years ago. this is not a meta-analysis.

a lot more data has come out that does not benefit the cause for cannabis use.

the author is reaching the same conclusions Oxycontin proponents reached years ago. no data, but "they say they feel better".

you arent related to him, are you?

I have gradually gone from neutral to recommending against THC. Many groups want it to work for pain but evidence is very underwhelming.

Impaired driving, impulsivity, acute psychosis and potential association with chronic psychosis... Maybe less dangerous than opioids but not something I'd recommend.

Reactions: 2 users
Best use of cannabis is often as a sleep aid for patients in pain +/- anxiety, that have failed non habit forming prescription medications.

The ONLy thing I've ever seen that looked positive for cannabis is MS. Ppl with neuropathic pain from MS.

That's ONE study included in a meta published by...NEJM was it? Circa 2016 or so?