Can't reconcile the surveys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two big surveys every year of salaries in EM. The Medscape survey says compensation now averages $230K. The Daniel Sterns says it is now $328K. That's an awfully wide difference. Makes you wonder who to believe.

For those who care, salaries on the DS survey range from the 90th percentile for partners ($510K at 273/hour) to the 10th percentile for employees at $180K (110/hour.)

That seems markedly higher than last year's results to me.

Members don't see this ad.

There are two big surveys every year of salaries in EM. The Medscape survey says compensation now averages $230K. The Daniel Sterns says it is now $328K. That's an awfully wide difference. Makes you wonder who to believe.

For those who care, salaries on the DS survey range from the 90th percentile for partners ($510K at 273/hour) to the 10th percentile for employees at $180K (110/hour.)

That seems markedly higher than last year's results to me.

$273/ hr seems about fair for EM on average. I think we deserve more but thats just me. I also believe that there are docs who are not quite as financially savvy who answer on their post tax income, post retirement income etc. Few actually know the costs of their benefits from their employers (if they have one).

We do our write offs through the corporation and I am sure of the people in my group some probably do their income before and after expenses. Anyways I think this is one reason for the discrepancy. Imagine if you are a 1099 and you report your post write off "tax income".

Members don't see this ad :)
imagine how sweet our take-home pay would be if we could write off the estimated $120k/year/EP of free care we each do, on average...