Can't Wait Till August!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorro21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After years and years of biology and chemistry classes, after many restless nights of studying for the MCAT, and many, many secondary applications later, I am proud to say that this August I start medical school! LECOM here I come!!
Everyday since learning of my acceptance, I have wondered what medical school will be like. How many hours a day will I have to study? Will I be first in my class or graduate dead last? Will I still have a full head of hair? Will my girlfriend grow tired of not seeing me and leave me for the mail man? How will it feel to have someone's life in my uncapable hands? Will I be a good doctor or a great doctor? Will my patients be able to tell that I just graduated and have no clue what I'm doing?
I have worked hard to get to this point, and everyday I am one step closer to being a fully licensed osteopathic physician. I am ready to start school, and I can't wait till August!
Does anyone else have any thoughts about what to expect? Tell your stories!

Members don't see this ad.

As I can say is...

IS THE SEMESTER OVER YET?

I have known about my acceptance for a while and I have been counting the days until my undergrad is over. (Not really counting the days, but damn close)

I don't care about my undergrad courses (I should but I can't). After all, who really cares about Physical Chemistry and research assisting. I just want to be a doctor, right. I know that it is important to be well rounded and get some research experience, but is this last month and a half taking forever or what?

Just my thoughts...

Later

KCOM here I come! I can't wait.

Toran

I remember being in all of your shoes 2 years ago. While it has been a hard two years I would do it over again in a heart beat. I know you have heard this many times but take this summer to go do something you might never have done otherwise. Whether that be visiting family, going on a great vacation, spending time camping etc. If you like doing something medical like shadowing a doc etc do that too.

Don't study, don't open a book. Unless it would be on studying and test taking strategies. You need to be able to be flexible and study in different ways for different classes, I had a hard time with transition. Also be ready to take some tough multiple choice exams. I don't mean exams with at least one obvious distractor and one good answer. Most of our tests have no distractors and two or three answers that could be the right answer (at least in my mind) I have heard there is an "Oklahoma Notes" book that deals with studying and test takes in medical school. (Haven't seen it myself though)

What I am trying to say is medical school is tough (I am sure you know that) and you should go in refreshed and excited to be getting started not already tired of studying the whole summer.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM