Cardio application discussion thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brigham and Women's rejection, followed by UCSD invitation on a Saturday. Has anyone heard regarding a rejection from UCSF? Saw that one person posted they received an interview from UCSF.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it pretty safe to assume that at the end of this week, whatever we have in terms of interviews is all we will get? I know there are a few that trickle in afterwards, but I think the bulk of the invites have been handed out.

For those with plenty of invites congrats. For the rest of us, I must say this has been a very difficulty and disappointing process. The worst part is, if I was to even consider applying next year, my application won't change all that much so I think its probably not even worth bothering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your input.
Then what about the response from PD to the thank you letter? I didn't receive any from my first IV.

Some may respond to a thank you note and some won't. If it's a hand written note sent in the mail you probably won't. If it's an emailed thanks then you may or may not get a reply. If you send a question then there may be a better chance of a response.

How much of a difference does the IMG/AMG factor play?

I am asking as I have pretty much all the things you have mentioned in this posting, with scores of 249 and 244, 2 basic science publications, 15 months of research experience, residency from a middle tier University program, good letters and no visa issues. Still I have tons of rejections and only two interviews. Thanks for all your help.

A visa may be more of an issue for some programs than others. If we are really interested in an applicant on a visa we do take a closer look at the visa and its dates in order to anticipate any conflicts that may arise. We've never weeded out a competitive applicant based on their visa though.

PC,

please can you tell me do you(or any programs) use computer filtering to select initial screening?

DrIM

A vast majority of programs do utilize the filters. There are standard filters and we also have the ability to build our own.

As per Baylor-Houston...my application has "been placed on hold"

Interesting way of saying they are not interested... :laugh::laugh:

Not true. It's a short hand for saying that they are interested, but they don't have enough slots to interview everyone that they'd like to meet. Glass half full!

OK, been a little lazy with contributing...here goes:

So far 11 interviews-all places mentioned so far

Still havent heard from 10+ places, not sure if I should even expect any more responses.

Stats: AMG, "top 5-10 residency program" (whatever that means), 90+ on both steps, assuming I have good letters, research during residency-no publications, 1 poster present

Interview offer from Thomas Jefferson. Still waiting on 10+ programs. So far 9 interviews and 5 rejections.

AMG, top ten program, 99/99 on step 1/2, no pubs.

Last edited:
Interestingly I have very similar stats to many AMGs (except im an IMG- and because of that I am in a middle tier univ. prog) but only two interviews. Sometimes I wonder if being a second class applicant (aka IMG) is worth the hassle- afterall IMGs dont work any less to get to the US and do well in their training. It seems that IMGs are always chasing the local graduates and are not given the same opportunities. Am I being paranoid or practical-comments?!

Interestingly I have very similar stats to many AMGs (except im an IMG- and because of that I am in a middle tier univ. prog) but only two interviews. Sometimes I wonder if being a second class applicant (aka IMG) is worth the hassle- afterall IMGs dont work any less to get to the US and do well in their training. It seems that IMGs are always chasing the local graduates and are not given the same opportunities. Am I being paranoid or practical-comments?!

Training at the middle tier univ. program is going to hurt you if you apply to any top/well known university programs. They have a lot of people with 99/99 and publications, who went to school at US schools they are familiar with and did residency at the well known top 20 or so university medical IM programs, and who don't need a visa. Getting in to the well known university cardiology programs is quite challenging even for US grads...I see a lot of FMG's trying for these and then wondering why they have a hard time getting in. I'm sure the visa thing adds to the difficulty of getting in, but really it's exceedingly hard to get into those type programs (i.e. top 20 or 30 cardiology programs) even for US graduates. That's what many people don't realize...you're talking about the top of a pyramid here.

Remember there are a lot of US students who never even got the chance to go to med school (and therefore never got a shot at any residency or fellowship either) even though they did very well in college, had lots of volunteer work, good medical college entrance exam scores, etc. That's because we have a tradition here in the US of producing way smaller numbers of med school grads than we actually need. So you can look at your glass as half empty (trouble getting into fellowship) or half full (had more opportunities for training here even than some excellent US college students).

Training at the middle tier univ. program is going to hurt you if you apply to any top/well known university programs. They have a lot of people with 99/99 and publications, who went to school at US schools they are familiar with and did residency at the well known top 20 or so university medical IM programs, and who don't need a visa. Getting in to the well known university cardiology programs is quite challenging even for US grads...I see a lot of FMG's trying for these and then wondering why they have a hard time getting in. I'm sure the visa thing adds to the difficulty of getting in, but really it's exceedingly hard to get into those type programs (i.e. top 20 or 30 cardiology programs) even for US graduates. That's what many people don't realize...you're talking about the top of a pyramid here.

Remember there are a lot of US students who never even got the chance to go to med school (and therefore never got a shot at any residency or fellowship either) even though they did very well in college, had lots of volunteer work, good medical college entrance exam scores, etc. That's because we have a tradition here in the US of producing way smaller numbers of med school grads than we actually need. So you can look at your glass as half empty (trouble getting into fellowship) or half full (had more opportunities for training here even than some excellent US college students).

Point well recieved Dragonfly- however I would like to mention a few things here.
Firstly- the middle tier programs we're discussing here are programs which I personally would never settle on if I were applying to a training institute back in my country- just like AMGs don't like to rank these programs high. We have to recognise that hospitals (middle to low tier) are recruiting excellent and some even beyond- candidates. These people are the elite of their countries and the US should be proud of having these people here. So I do believe its a symbiotic relationship. To add to that, the current AMGs (I dislike labels -AMGs and IMGS- but I will use them here for being concise) are also the top graduates of the US medical system and any others would only drop the current quality of care being provided in the US (best of the US + Best of the rest of the world).
To think that the system allows foreign graduates to train here out of unbiased good will sounds naive- atleast to me. So lets stop humbling these remarkable doctors who leave home to enhance their skill and at the same time provide exellent quality of care (which the US is proud of) to the American people. Comments?!

Point well recieved Dragonfly- however I would like to mention a few things here.
Firstly- the middle tier programs we're discussing here are programs which I personally would never settle on if I were applying to a training institute back in my country- just like AMGs don't like to rank these programs high. We have to recognise that hospitals (middle to low tier) are recruiting excellent and some even beyond- candidates. These people are the elite of their countries and the US should be proud of having these people here. So I do believe its a symbiotic relationship. To add to that, the current AMGs (I dislike labels -AMGs and IMGS- but I will use them here for being concise) are also the top graduates of the US medical system and any others would only drop the current quality of care being provided in the US (best of the US + Best of the rest of the world).
To think that the system allows foreign graduates to train here out of unbiased good will sounds naive- atleast to me. So lets stop humbling these remarkable doctors who leave home to enhance their skill and at the same time provide exellent quality of care (which the US is proud of) to the American people. Comments?!

Well both of you guys have pointed some obvious and good points. How ever if you analyze this situation from a very neutral perspective there are a few things that I would like to mention.

1) There are no favours being done both ways. If it was not the for the IMGs half of the hospital in US would close down. IMGs provide an extremely valubale service to the US health care system. To produce an MD is an extremely expensive process and require a lot resources, and by bringing in IMGs and making them go through a standardized system, US health industry fill up the gap practicaly for free . To open up medical schools and make up for this deficit would cost an arm and a leg. So really the system is actualy benefiting rather than being altruistic here.

2) On the other hand IMGs come here as they do not have ample training opportunities in their own countries, again its sfor the IMGs own benefit which makes them move rather than a pure altruistic drive. As you said it is a symbiotic relationship.

3) Now having said all this, if the people who are investing quite a bit of their resources are not able to get what they aspire ( i.e AMGs) then the system would collapse and people would use their resources in some other venture rather than going to medical school, and that will bring the system down.

Never the less keeping in view all these factors, there should be some what more level playing field than it is currently, I am not sure what that system should be though.

No offence intended, just a dispasionate view of the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well both of you guys have pointed some obvious and good points. How ever if you analyze this situation from a very neutral perspective there are a few things that I would like to mention.

1) There are no favours being done both ways. If it was not the for the IMGs half of the hospital in US would close down. IMGs provide an extremely valubale service to the US health care system. To produce an MD is an extremely expensive process and require a lot resources, and by bringing in IMGs and making them go through a standardized system, US health industry fill up the gap practicaly for free . To open up medical schools and make up for this deficit would cost an arm and a leg. So really the system is actualy benefiting rather than being altruistic here.

2) On the other hand IMGs come here as they do not have ample training opportunities in their own countries, again its sfor the IMGs own benefit which makes them move rather than a pure altruistic drive. As you said it is a symbiotic relationship.

3) Now having said all this, if the people who are investing quite a bit of their resources are not able to get what they aspire ( i.e AMGs) then the system would collapse and people would use their resources in some other venture rather than going to medical school, and that will bring the system down.

Never the less keeping in view all these factors, there should be some what more level playing field than it is currently as I personaly have heard discriminatory comments from the PDs.
I am not sure what that system should be though, but it should be more skewed towards benefiting merit.

No offence intended, just a dispasionate view of the situation.

Once again, this is an off topic subject and maybe the moderators should make a thread for this discussion. It is a very important topic that should be further discussed.

Reject: William Beaumont...

Once again, this is an off topic subject and maybe the moderators should make a thread for this discussion. It is a very important topic that should be further discussed.

Some of the people who are reading this thread will go in to academics and move on to be PDs in 15 years , so this might be the best place to discuss.:)

Meanwhile back in the jungle,

A rejection from William Beaumont.

Has anyone heard from: Mayo, Beth Israel, Stanford?

I'm still waiting to hear from UCSD and UCLA, thought it looks like a lot of other folks have heard from them already.

Of those that other people still haven't heard from, I heard from UCSF (early february). Haven't heard anything from any program (yay or nay) except a columbia rejection last week.

well, while we are on a roll has anyone heard from the following nyc programs:
Albert Einstein, Lennox Hill, Cornell, St. Luke's.
thanks

I did hear from cornell (invite) about 2 weeks ago...

Saint Louis University Invite @ 7:15 PM

Rejection from Mayo-Arizona...IMG, H1B, Gud Univ Program, Some research.

Please put ur credentials along with rejections and interview call info, so that others can assess who is likely to get an interview.

:thumbup:UAB reject../ accept?:thumbdown: Which country u r from?

Rejections flowing in
Newark beth Israel
Kaiser LA
St. Raphael CT

Iowa
St Vincent NY.

rejection Beaumont..

Has any one had rejections from from Pitt or Indiana?

thanks.

Has anyone heard from: Mayo, Beth Israel, Stanford?

I'm still waiting to hear from UCSD and UCLA, thought it looks like a lot of other folks have heard from them already.

Of those that other people still haven't heard from, I heard from UCSF (early february). Haven't heard anything from any program (yay or nay) except a columbia rejection last week.

Mayo will most likely start inviting by the end of this week or next week.

OK - so I've trolled this forum long enough and figure I should contribute. Through friends or myself, I know that the following are inviting as well (many have already been mentioned):

Christina Care (DE), ECU (NC), Allegheny (PA), St. Vincent's (NY), Maine Med, Buffalo, Ochsner, Tulane, LSUHSC (New Orleans), LVH (PA), UMDNJ Newark, NY Methodist (Brooklyn), Baylor Tx, Lakenau (PA), Camden NJ, U. of Fl, Creighton NE, St. Rapheal CT, Rush Chicago, University of OK, Aurora HC (Milwaukee).

I'm personally still waiting on 20+ programs.
Just out of curosity, how many programs did people apply to?

FYI: AMG, ivy pedigree, research with presentations, 91+ on all 3 steps

So admittedly, I am getting nervous about my chances of obtaining a fellowship. As a result, I called a few programs to get the status of my application either way. I guess thats a bad idea because of the 4 places I called, two gave me a very rude response. Anyways fyi:

UCSD - I haven't heard anything, but they told me they have pretty much handed out most of their invites
Colorado - They have handed out all their invites, but haven't rejected anyone yet in case of cancellations
Scripps - still in the process of review will hand out invites in April
Arizona - is done handing out invites

So admittedly, I am getting nervous about my chances of obtaining a fellowship. As a result, I called a few programs to get the status of my application either way. I guess thats a bad idea because of the 4 places I called, two gave me a very rude response. Anyways fyi:

UCSD - I haven't heard anything, but they told me they have pretty much handed out most of their invites
Colorado - They have handed out all their invites, but haven't rejected anyone yet in case of cancellations
Scripps - still in the process of review will hand out invites in April
Arizona - is done handing out invites

i'm sorry that they were rude to you when you inquired. i don't really think it's appropriate for programs to be rude to applicants who are just trying to find out about their application. when we work this hard to apply and then just want to know what's going on with our application i don't think that's a bad thing. i'm sure they're busy, but at this late stage i am getting the point where i really need to know the status from all of the programs i applied to in order to make plans.

i

Last edited:
Kettering Ohio
Sinai Urban,NY
NY methodist (invited me and within 45 mts sent me a rejection).
How can they do that?? Did you call them up?:eek:

Well, They said that it was an error and they were sorry in their email. So thought there was no point in calling them.

Kettering Ohio
Sinai Urban,NY
NY methodist (invited me and within 45 mts sent me a rejection).
How can they do that?? Did you call them up?:eek:

It happend couple of years back with University of Pittsburgh too. You shouldn't take it serious. It could be administrative mistake, could be new Program Coordinator could be new (or could be first time for her)

Silence of ERAS...
May be March would bring some good news...??
this is what they call "Height of Optimism"...

Does anyone else notice that, for the most part, offers seem to come during the day?
That is to say, rejections may be send at any time...but it seems that offers are less often sent in the evening...
makes me dread the night ;)

This has been a quiet week...and still quite a few programs that I haven't heard from. I don't quite know what to make of that...

Rejection from Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.