Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Cardiologist

Reaction score
How are you guys preparing for cardiology fellowship?

What are the most important things to consider in first year residency to achieve our goal? I know research obviously is important. How much research is enough?

Things to keep in mind applying for away electives?

Thanks. Good luck to all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the application timeline? I am trying to schedule an away elective in September. When do interviews start? Don't want to take time off from elective.

I am applying this year.
USMLE 230s/240s/220s
Academic affiliated residency
3 posters/1 published abstract/3 pending pubs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys preparing for cardiology fellowship?

What are the most important things to consider in first year residency to achieve our goal? I know research obviously is important. How much research is enough?

Things to keep in mind applying for away electives?

Thanks. Good luck to all of you.

Going to a good residency (academic, in house fellowship, decent name) is key
Research involvement - if you’re a top applicant type going to a top residency then the amount of pubs probably matters less. IMG community program? Prob need a lot more stuff to show
Letters
Doing well in your clerkships - be all the “A’s” you can be - affable, available, agreeable, etc.
networking via your attendings, conferences, etc

Good Morning,

I just have a question, should I waive the right to see my recommendations letters or not?

Thanks

I have a question
Is there a cut off point for years of graduation after residency?
If someone graduated 6 years ago

I am assuming that the OP wanted to talk about the upcoming application cycle, which is for 19/20. So I went ahead and edited the thread title and stickied it.

If my assumption is incorrect, that's fine, you can re-start the 20/21 thread this time next year.

Hey all, is there any difference between those who apply July 5th vs those who apply July 15th (ie do programs see those applications sent in on the 5th first)?

Hey all, is there any difference between those who apply July 5th vs those who apply July 15th (ie do programs see those applications sent in on the 5th first)?

There is no difference, applications between the 5th and 15th will all be timestamped as July 15th. After that they will be timestamped on real time.

There is no difference, applications between the 5th and 15th will all be timestamped as July 15th. After that they will be timestamped on real time.
Thanks!

I’m waiting on my PD to upload my LOR but all of my other LORs have been uploaded (3 others, which seems to be the minimum requirement for most programs). Should I wait to submit my app til he uploads it (assuming he’s not able to upload it by the 15th), or should I submit my app and later assign that letter?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m waiting on my PD to upload my LOR but all of my other LORs have been uploaded (3 others, which seems to be the minimum requirement for most programs). Should I wait to submit my app til he uploads it (assuming he’s not able to upload it by the 15th), or should I submit my app and later assign that letter?

Thanks,
I think your application will not be complete unless the PD upload his/her letter. I would not worry too much. I'm sure PD is aware of the deadline. I also want to ask you where do you see the minimum letters to be 4. Just know I' have being checking the websites for the programs and 80 % of them require 3 letters including the PD. I just found a couple of them that require 4. I was checking because I remember that when I applied for residency I was told that we must know how to follow directions, and if a program requires just three letters just send three.

correct me if i am wrong but from what i have seen, most program requires 3 but accept up to 4. so sending 4 to all programs you apply for shoudn't be a problem.

I'm thinking that it depends on the program. Just to give you some examples.
Check the University of Colorado and the University of Arkansas website and they specifically mention 3
University of Iowa and U of Kansas website mention 4.
In ERAS you can assign a maximum of four per program but it does not mean that all the programs require 4.
Will it be an issue sending 4 to a program that requires 3, probably not.

Thanks,
Just submit. Most programs will start reviewing as soon as your application hits whatever level of "complete" they consider important. Since you don't have any idea what that means for any particular program, you do yourself no favors by waiting for your app to be "complete" by your own standards.

What are my chances
Out of residency 7 years now (Hospitalist), IMG from community program, No visa needed, 245/238/202. 2 year research.
4 manuscript (1st author)
6 abstracts (jacc+scai)
2 review articles
1 case report
11 posters (ACC, SCSI, TVT, TCT)

Totally agreee. The LOR requirement number is really inconsistent. Some programs say 3 (including PD, which essentially is 2 from anyone else/or specialty) while others may just say "3". For those places that dont specific, are people just sending max? It annoys me because I have a good amount of LOR (outside my PD) and would love to show those off.
I think your application will not be complete unless the PD upload his/her letter. I would not worry too much. I'm sure PD is aware of the deadline. I also want to ask you where do you see the minimum letters to be 4. Just know I' have being checking the websites for the programs and 80 % of them require 3 letters including the PD. I just found a couple of them that require 4. I was checking because I remember that when I applied for residency I was told that we must know how to follow directions, and if a program requires just three letters just send three.

Totally agreee. The LOR requirement number is really inconsistent. Some programs say 3 (including PD, which essentially is 2 from anyone else/or specialty) while others may just say "3". For those places that dont specific, are people just sending max? It annoys me because I have a good amount of LOR (outside my PD) and would love to show those off.
Send 4.

Reactions: 1 users
3 cards letter+ PD vs 2 cards+ 1 IM + PD? the third IM and cards letter will be similar in terms of quality, any suggestions?

Quick Question -> If I presented a case as a poster presentation and wrote it up as a case report, do I list it twice on my resume? (1 under poster presentations, and the other as case reports published).

Quick Question -> If I presented a case as a poster presentation and wrote it up as a case report, do I list it twice on my resume? (1 under poster presentations, and the other as case reports published).
That’s what I did. It can’t hurt in my opinion.

If I have posters that got published in JACC as well, do I list them twice in my eras CV or just mention them as posters?

If I have posters that got published in JACC as well, do I list them twice in my eras CV or just mention them as posters?
I don’t think that counts as a publication... if you mean the abstract was published in JACC online after presenting at ACC

Question for you guys. On ERAS, where would the best place be to enter manuscripts in progress as well as protocols that have been written?

I mentioned them once as published abstracts.

Hey everyone, so what are the ramifications of not having all of your application completed exactly on the 15th. One of my letter writers is just getting my letter uploaded today and I'm worried it will not be verified on time. Otherwise, my application is ready.

Hey everyone, so what are the ramifications of not having all of your application completed exactly on the 15th. One of my letter writers is just getting my letter uploaded today and I'm worried it will not be verified on time. Otherwise, my application is ready.
Control what you can. Don't panic about what you can't.

I would just submit.
At most places, they will just do a few passes throughout the season. There's a lot of filters they have in place and the letters really are on the tail end of the screening process.

I would just submit.
At most places, they will just do a few passes throughout the season. There's a lot of filters they have in place and the letters really are on the tail end of the screening process.
That's the advice I've been getting most. Will go ahead and submit and hope it doesn't affect my chances too much. Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I have a few questions on the ERAS application and hoping someone here could help me.
1. My MSPE and medical school transcript and 1 LOR (3 already uploaded and ready to go) say still processing so do I wait until they are relased by EFDO or should I just go ahead with applying to programs on day 1 (7/15/19) and update later or should I wait before submitting? I don't want my application to be rejected because it was marked incomplete.
2. I have several posters at national meetings like AHA/ACC/HRS and was wondering if it is better to list them as posters or abstracts? I I know we should not list them twice so wondering if one section better than the other?
3. I did one year of advanced heart failure fellowship (non ACGME accredited) after residency and was wondering where would we list that in the ERAS application.
4. I am a hospitalist currently and have attended several Cardiology related CMEs and was wondering if I should mention that in education section? I know it is no big deal and probably no one cares about it but was thinking that might show that I had continued interest in Cardiology as I am applying after 6 years from residency. I just dont want them to think it is fluff or cluttered.

Thanks so much for helping me and wishing all the best to everyone out here.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I have a few questions on the ERAS application and hoping someone here could help me.
1. My MSPE and medical school transcript and 1 LOR (3 already uploaded and ready to go) say still processing so do I wait until they are relased by EFDO or should I just go ahead with applying to programs on day 1 (7/15/19) and update later or should I wait before submitting? I don't want my application to be rejected because it was marked incomplete.
2. I have several posters at national meetings like AHA/ACC/HRS and was wondering if it is better to list them as posters or abstracts? I I know we should not list them twice so wondering if one section better than the other?
3. I did one year of advanced heart failure fellowship (non ACGME accredited) after residency and was wondering where would we list that in the ERAS application.
4. I am a hospitalist currently and have attended several Cardiology related CMEs and was wondering if I should mention that in education section? I know it is no big deal and probably no one cares about it but was thinking that might show that I had continued interest in Cardiology as I am applying after 6 years from residency. I just dont want them to think it is fluff or cluttered.

Thanks so much for helping me and wishing all the best to everyone out here.

1. similar situation, i chose to submit it now
2. similar situation, i chose to submit it as poster presentation for those abstracts

Anyone know anything about the HonorHealth program in AZ? Apparently theres a paper application online in addition to ERAS?

what's the difference between the two Montefiore programs? MHS vs Montefiore program. Which is their main program? thanks!

EFDO was working overtime this weekend. I submitted my app yesterday (assuming my last letter wouldn’t be certified until today) and 2 minutes later was notified that my letter was certified so I assigned it afterwards!

Good luck everyone!

my 4th letter from cardiology faculty will be delayed a few days. have a medicine faculty letter as backup but how do you think programs will view a slightly late letter? app complete and submitted already save for 4th letter.

my 4th letter from cardiology faculty will be delayed a few days. have a medicine faculty letter as backup but how do you think programs will view a slightly late letter? app complete and submitted already save for 4th letter.

I would wait for LOR from cardiology faculty and assign LOR to programs after it's available, assuming that letter will be available by end of this week.

1. similar situation, i chose to submit it now
2. similar situation, i chose to submit it as poster presentation for those abstracts
Thank you for your insight, that was helpful.

I got the same thing. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do it. Never even heard of it before but looks like a personality kind of test. lol

Has anyone gotten any interview invites yet? Just wondering which programs are starting to send out invites and if any are sending them out yet. Thanks.

Oof I probably should have looked at U Wash website about this personalized personal statement. Thankful they gave us that reminder. Any other programs require this??

Oof I probably should have looked at U Wash website about this personalized personal statement. Thankful they gave us that reminder. Any other programs require this??

yeah... sort of annoying.

No other program requires this to my knowledge

Has anyone gotten any interview invites yet? Just wondering which programs are starting to send out invites and if any are sending them out yet. Thanks.

Too early. invitations will start trickling down by next monday

Hello future cardiologists,
I am about to submit my application, and I had a stupid question about the publication section. I submitted a research manuscript as the first author that was recently accepted by a cardiology journal. Now the article is under press and would be published online (ahead of paper publication) by next week followed by PubMed indexation in next 3-4 days after that.
Now, I have the DOI number from the journal, but it is not active as of yet but should go live with PubMed number by the end of next week. Should I mention this under peer-reviewed article 'published' or 'other than published'? I have other papers that I have submitted, and I am writing those under 'other than published.' My only concern is if I write it under other than published part, it will get lost in the list and the article again would be published by the end of next week anyway. What do you guys think I should do?
Also, by putting it under 'other than published' section would leave me with only one actual publication as the first author and rest all under 'other than published' section. I read somewhere that having a lot of publication in the pipeline and have nothing to show for it can be a red flag. Please help.

Hello future cardiologists,
I am about to submit my application, and I had a stupid question about the publication section. I submitted a research manuscript as the first author that was recently accepted by a cardiology journal. Now the article is under press and would be published online (ahead of paper publication) by next week followed by PubMed indexation in next 3-4 days after that.
Now, I have the DOI number from the journal, but it is not active as of yet but should go live with PubMed number by the end of next week. Should I mention this under peer-reviewed article 'published' or 'other than published'? I have other papers that I have submitted, and I am writing those under 'other than published.' My only concern is if I write it under other than published part, it will get lost in the list and the article again would be published by the end of next week anyway. What do you guys think I should do?
Also, by putting it under 'other than published' section would leave me with only one actual publication as the first author and rest all under 'other than published' section. I read somewhere that having a lot of publication in the pipeline and have nothing to show for it can be a red flag. Please help.

This is already published online? Therefore it is published. I don’t understand the questions sometimes you gunners ask

Reactions: 3 users