-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Cardiology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020
Started by Future Cardiologist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
First rejection Nassuau university program
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my 4th letter from cardiology faculty will be delayed a few days. have a medicine faculty letter as backup but how do you think programs will view a slightly late letter? app complete and submitted already save for 4th letter.
I'm gonna go ahead and ask this again because still in the same boat and programs are reviewing/sending invites, worried that 3 instead of 4 letters will look like a red flag.
Has any program sent out invitations ?!
Dear all, I applied on 07/17/2019 with 3 LORs. However, the following day, I received an email from one of the programs I applied to upload the fourth LOR. My attending is a super busy professional who promised me to write LOR 2 months ago but haven't uploaded/provided me with LOR till date despite multiple reminders through in-person meeting/emails. Nonetheless, I have a copy of LOR provided by my research mentor prior to joining residency. But it clearly stated his recommendations for IM Residency. Now that, I am left with no option, do you think I can upload the 4th LOR even though it highly recommends for a residency spot but not a fellowship spot? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
Are these invitations or rejections
That frankly sounds like a terrible idea. Do not send a letter clearly for a different time or specialty. Confirm with the current letter writer when it will be ready and if it’s going to be another 1-2 weeks, check with the previous writer for an updated letter only. Do not use a letter saying internal medicine.Dear all, I applied on 07/17/2019 with 3 LORs. However, the following day, I received an email from one of the programs I applied to upload the fourth LOR. My attending is a super busy professional who promised me to write LOR 2 months ago but haven't uploaded/provided me with LOR till date despite multiple reminders through in-person meeting/emails. Nonetheless, I have a copy of LOR provided by my research mentor prior to joining residency. But it clearly stated his recommendations for IM Residency. Now that, I am left with no option, do you think I can upload the 4th LOR even though it highly recommends for a residency spot but not a fellowship spot? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet
Dear all, I applied on 07/17/2019 with 3 LORs. However, the following day, I received an email from one of the programs I applied to upload the fourth LOR. My attending is a super busy professional who promised me to write LOR 2 months ago but haven't uploaded/provided me with LOR till date despite multiple reminders through in-person meeting/emails. Nonetheless, I have a copy of LOR provided by my research mentor prior to joining residency. But it clearly stated his recommendations for IM Residency. Now that, I am left with no option, do you think I can upload the 4th LOR even though it highly recommends for a residency spot but not a fellowship spot? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet
I understand frustration and desperation to have all 4 LORs uploaded. I would reach out to person who wrote your LOR for IM and submit newer version of it. in parallel continue to "harass" that Cardiology attending who is clearly full of ****.
do not use letter from 3 years ago / with different specialty.
GL
When is usually the last interview day for cardiology fellowship?
First week on November i would say.
Are these invitations or rejections
Invites. OHSU sent out more interview invites today.
7/18. OSU (oklahoma state)
Thank you very much everyone🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went into the website of about 100 programs, about 50 of them require only 3 letters. About a dozen require 3 or more and 5 of them require 4. The rest don't have any information about how many but I will say three. So, don't send an old letter. You will give a bad repression to all of them when in reality only a few of them require four.
238/239/1st attempt/215, IMG on J-1 currently a third-year chief at a University-affiliated community hospital. 7-8 publications mostly as first author (all cardiology related, 2 retrospective studies) and a couple in pipeline (4 case reports). Multiple poster presentations (AMA winner and 2nd prize at ACC regional chapter). I am applying to 135 programs, but not very hopeful given how competitive Cardiology is especially if you're not graduating from a 'big place'. What do you guys think my chances are realistically and are you aware of any non-ACGME fellowship places for J-1 visa holders.
I would say pretty good chances !
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
Does the "Track Assigned Documents" under specific programs change based on where you are in the application process?
For instance, will the document status change from "Available" to Downloaded or Reviewed once a program looks at the documents? Or does it always just say "Available"?
For instance, will the document status change from "Available" to Downloaded or Reviewed once a program looks at the documents? Or does it always just say "Available"?
It does not change. I'm positive because the ECU send me an email to take the CASPER test, who it sends to everyone that applies there, but the Track Assigned Documents still say Available even when I know they downloaded the documents
I agree. However, as far as I remember last year the status were changing at least the status “ downloaded “. May be I am delusional and you are correct.
Any invites sent out today ! Hate this silence
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
can anyone who has received an invite verify?
can anyone who has received an invite verify?
It says "Available" even for programs that gave me invites.
Last edited:
It says available regardless of whether they’ve downloaded it or not. I know because the program coordinator at my home program contacted me to ask a question about something on my app, and has presumably downloaded my app, but it still says all of my files are “available” under track documentscan anyone who has received an invite verify?
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
7/23 - Yale
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we post stats in addition to updating the interview tab? or is that no longer a thing?
D
deleted980918
are step3 score used as cut off? if so what is the typical cut off score?
are step3 score used as cut off? if so what is the typical cut off score?
No. No one cares about step 3, provided you didn't fail.
Got an email earlier from USF Morsani to be on the lookout for interview invites in the next 8-10 days. Assuming they sent this to everyone that applied because they also mention that they can’t offer interviews to everyone and only select 60 applicants
When I got the email I thought it was an interview, and got super excited.
Said a few choice words when I realized it was not lol
The waiting is pretty terrible already.
When I got the email I thought it was an interview, and got super excited.
Said a few choice words when I realized it was not lol
The waiting is pretty terrible already.
got the same feeling
I don’t think so. Once it’s sent, it’s sent, and 4 is the max. Or at least that’s what I remember from the prompt that pops up when youre assigning those letters.Can I change a recommendation letter? I’ve already submitted 4 letters, can I substitute one of those letters for another?
mcstuffins13
New Member
Any invites yesterday or today?
I don’t think so. Once it’s sent, it’s sent, and 4 is the max. Or at least that’s what I remember from the prompt that pops up when youre assigning those letters.
Agree with @HatGuy
Unfortunately you can't re-upload (Even if its the same person with an updated letter.) Already tried and no success. 4 max
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
7/23 - Yale
7/25 - U Vermont
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass
7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
7/23 - Yale
7/25 - U Vermont
IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center
IMG requiring visa:
7/25 UNMC
7/25 UNMC
Last edited:
Hi guys. For those of you who are IMGs requiring visa, the season is still very early. Don’t be nervous, and remain hopeful. When I applied last season, my first interview came after 3 weeks of application, and I got 9 interviews in that week alone. The rest kept coming slowly in the following few weeks and eventually got 25+ IVs.
It is stressful to keep waiting but your time will come. Be helpful to each other and good luck!
It is stressful to keep waiting but your time will come. Be helpful to each other and good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haider1981
New Member
Can you share with us your application strengths and weaknesses?Hi guys. For those of you who are IMGs requiring visa, the season is still very early. Don’t be nervous, and remain hopeful. When I applied last season, my first interview came after 3 weeks of application, and I got 9 interviews in that week alone. The rest kept coming slowly in the following few weeks and eventually got 25+ IVs.
It is stressful to keep waiting but your time will come. Be helpful to each other and good luck!
Many thanks in advance
Can you share with us your application strengths and weaknesses?
Many thanks in advance
I’m from a mid tier university program. Average scores of 240s. Had about 4-5 pubs, around 5 abstracts at the time of application. Very strong letters. Experience of busy CICU and cardiology floor rotations as a resident. (Didn’t know this was important but quite a few programs asked me about my CICU experience, apparently some residents from other programs don’t have specific CICU rotations)
Some other random things that interviewers brought up like very interesting PS, hobbies, multilingual, ACLS instructor since medical school, NIH online research course etc.
I’m IMG on J1 visa and I think that was the main weakness in my application.
I initially applied to about 120 programs. (Which are mostly IMG friendly). In the following 1-3 weeks I applied to another 50 programs especially those in the west coast due to personal reasons but the yield from these extra 50 programs was very low and probably not worth the money if you don’t have a strong reason to be at the west coast. Got only 1 interview from these 50 programs.
I initially applied to about 120 programs. (Which are mostly IMG friendly). In the following 1-3 weeks I applied to another 50 programs especially those in the west coast due to personal reasons but the yield from these extra 50 programs was very low and probably not worth the money if you don’t have a strong reason to be at the west coast. Got only 1 interview from these 50 programs.
So these extra 50 programs are mostly higher tier without evidence of IMG fellows or I could not find the info.
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 456
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 10K