Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AMG:
7/17 - OHSU

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First rejection Nassuau university program

When is usually the last interview day for cardiology fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
my 4th letter from cardiology faculty will be delayed a few days. have a medicine faculty letter as backup but how do you think programs will view a slightly late letter? app complete and submitted already save for 4th letter.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask this again because still in the same boat and programs are reviewing/sending invites, worried that 3 instead of 4 letters will look like a red flag.

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU

IMG w/o visa:
7/19 - Geisinger Medical Center

Dear all, I applied on 07/17/2019 with 3 LORs. However, the following day, I received an email from one of the programs I applied to upload the fourth LOR. My attending is a super busy professional who promised me to write LOR 2 months ago but haven't uploaded/provided me with LOR till date despite multiple reminders through in-person meeting/emails. Nonetheless, I have a copy of LOR provided by my research mentor prior to joining residency. But it clearly stated his recommendations for IM Residency. Now that, I am left with no option, do you think I can upload the 4th LOR even though it highly recommends for a residency spot but not a fellowship spot? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet

Dear all, I applied on 07/17/2019 with 3 LORs. However, the following day, I received an email from one of the programs I applied to upload the fourth LOR. My attending is a super busy professional who promised me to write LOR 2 months ago but haven't uploaded/provided me with LOR till date despite multiple reminders through in-person meeting/emails. Nonetheless, I have a copy of LOR provided by my research mentor prior to joining residency. But it clearly stated his recommendations for IM Residency. Now that, I am left with no option, do you think I can upload the 4th LOR even though it highly recommends for a residency spot but not a fellowship spot? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
PS: I emailed my research mentor to see if he can update LOR but haven't heard back from him yet
That frankly sounds like a terrible idea. Do not send a letter clearly for a different time or specialty. Confirm with the current letter writer when it will be ready and if it’s going to be another 1-2 weeks, check with the previous writer for an updated letter only. Do not use a letter saying internal medicine.

I understand frustration and desperation to have all 4 LORs uploaded. I would reach out to person who wrote your LOR for IM and submit newer version of it. in parallel continue to "harass" that Cardiology attending who is clearly full of ****.

do not use letter from 3 years ago / with different specialty.

GL

FYI - > 90% of programs specifically state in their website that they only require 3 LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into the website of about 100 programs, about 50 of them require only 3 letters. About a dozen require 3 or more and 5 of them require 4. The rest don't have any information about how many but I will say three. So, don't send an old letter. You will give a bad repression to all of them when in reality only a few of them require four.

Reactions: 2 users
238/239/1st attempt/215, IMG on J-1 currently a third-year chief at a University-affiliated community hospital. 7-8 publications mostly as first author (all cardiology related, 2 retrospective studies) and a couple in pipeline (4 case reports). Multiple poster presentations (AMA winner and 2nd prize at ACC regional chapter). I am applying to 135 programs, but not very hopeful given how competitive Cardiology is especially if you're not graduating from a 'big place'. What do you guys think my chances are realistically and are you aware of any non-ACGME fellowship places for J-1 visa holders.

I would say pretty good chances !

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown

IMG w/o visa:

Does the "Track Assigned Documents" under specific programs change based on where you are in the application process?

For instance, will the document status change from "Available" to Downloaded or Reviewed once a program looks at the documents? Or does it always just say "Available"?

It does not change. I'm positive because the ECU send me an email to take the CASPER test, who it sends to everyone that applies there, but the Track Assigned Documents still say Available even when I know they downloaded the documents.

It does not change. I'm positive because the ECU send me an email to take the CASPER test, who it sends to everyone that applies there, but the Track Assigned Documents still say Available even when I know they downloaded the documents

I agree. However, as far as I remember last year the status were changing at least the status “ downloaded “. May be I am delusional and you are correct.

Any invites sent out today ! Hate this silence

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass

IMG w/o visa:

can anyone who has received an invite verify?
It says available regardless of whether they’ve downloaded it or not. I know because the program coordinator at my home program contacted me to ask a question about something on my app, and has presumably downloaded my app, but it still says all of my files are “available” under track documents

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass

7/23 - UT Houston

IMG w/o visa:

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass

7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN

IMG w/o visa:

I just got an invitation to UT Memphis today. How does the Memphis branch compare to the Knoxville and Chattanooga campuses?

Can we post stats in addition to updating the interview tab? or is that no longer a thing?

are step3 score used as cut off? if so what is the typical cut off score?

Got an email earlier from USF Morsani to be on the lookout for interview invites in the next 8-10 days. Assuming they sent this to everyone that applied because they also mention that they can’t offer interviews to everyone and only select 60 applicants

Got an email earlier from USF Morsani to be on the lookout for interview invites in the next 8-10 days. Assuming they sent this to everyone that applied because they also mention that they can’t offer interviews to everyone and only select 60 applicants

When I got the email I thought it was an interview, and got super excited.

Said a few choice words when I realized it was not lol

The waiting is pretty terrible already.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I change a recommendation letter? I’ve already submitted 4 letters, can I substitute one of those letters for another?

Can I change a recommendation letter? I’ve already submitted 4 letters, can I substitute one of those letters for another?
I don’t think so. Once it’s sent, it’s sent, and 4 is the max. Or at least that’s what I remember from the prompt that pops up when youre assigning those letters.

I don’t think so. Once it’s sent, it’s sent, and 4 is the max. Or at least that’s what I remember from the prompt that pops up when youre assigning those letters.

Agree with @HatGuy

Unfortunately you can't re-upload (Even if its the same person with an updated letter.) Already tried and no success. 4 max

AMG:
7/17 - OHSU
7/20 - Morristown
7/22- UMass

7/23 - UT Houston, Stanford
7/23 - UTHSC, Memphis TN
7/23 - Yale
7/25 - U Vermont

IMG w/o visa:

Hi guys. For those of you who are IMGs requiring visa, the season is still very early. Don’t be nervous, and remain hopeful. When I applied last season, my first interview came after 3 weeks of application, and I got 9 interviews in that week alone. The rest kept coming slowly in the following few weeks and eventually got 25+ IVs.
It is stressful to keep waiting but your time will come. Be helpful to each other and good luck!

Hi guys. For those of you who are IMGs requiring visa, the season is still very early. Don’t be nervous, and remain hopeful. When I applied last season, my first interview came after 3 weeks of application, and I got 9 interviews in that week alone. The rest kept coming slowly in the following few weeks and eventually got 25+ IVs.
It is stressful to keep waiting but your time will come. Be helpful to each other and good luck!
Can you share with us your application strengths and weaknesses?
Many thanks in advance

Can you share with us your application strengths and weaknesses?
Many thanks in advance

I’m from a mid tier university program. Average scores of 240s. Had about 4-5 pubs, around 5 abstracts at the time of application. Very strong letters. Experience of busy CICU and cardiology floor rotations as a resident. (Didn’t know this was important but quite a few programs asked me about my CICU experience, apparently some residents from other programs don’t have specific CICU rotations)

Some other random things that interviewers brought up like very interesting PS, hobbies, multilingual, ACLS instructor since medical school, NIH online research course etc.

I’m IMG on J1 visa and I think that was the main weakness in my application.

I initially applied to about 120 programs. (Which are mostly IMG friendly). In the following 1-3 weeks I applied to another 50 programs especially those in the west coast due to personal reasons but the yield from these extra 50 programs was very low and probably not worth the money if you don’t have a strong reason to be at the west coast. Got only 1 interview from these 50 programs.

I initially applied to about 120 programs. (Which are mostly IMG friendly). In the following 1-3 weeks I applied to another 50 programs especially those in the west coast due to personal reasons but the yield from these extra 50 programs was very low and probably not worth the money if you don’t have a strong reason to be at the west coast. Got only 1 interview from these 50 programs.

So these extra 50 programs are mostly higher tier without evidence of IMG fellows or I could not find the info.