AequaMD

2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2016
known for low volumes / less clinical but may look pretty hanging on your wall

This is BS. Yale is the only quaternary center in CT. It has one of the highest transplant volumes and structural volume in the Northeast. Advanced fellows routinely perform ~400 PCIs/year. There is a dedicated peripheral program that takes 2 advanced fellows. You can get level 2 in echo, nuc and cath just by showing up. What is your comparison based off? If it is Columbia/Cedars/CCF, probably true. If it is the rest of %95 programs in the country, you don't have any clue.

Lol: For the record, the poster didn't enjoy the quality of training at Yale compared to "In tiers 1) UK / VCU 2) MCG, mayo florida, UT knox, SLU, U kansas I don't know much about wake / st lukes." per his/her humble opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaughable
About the Ads
Sep 9, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bringing this back from last year:

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not? 1 (non-cardiology) 2nd author publication, 2 others submitted for review during application process
2- Posters or oral presentation? 2 orals, 10 or so posters at national meetings
3- Did you do a chief year? Yes
4- Your residency program (university vs community): University program
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 4
6- USMLE scores? 232/244; Comlex 568/608/Pass/712
7- What # did you end up matching at? #1
8- Matched program (university vs community)? University program
9- Visa : No
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2016

Reactions: Infamous_MD
Aug 18, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
1- Research: 10 first author original paper, several co-author original paper
2- multiple posters
3- Did you do a chief year? No
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? >20
6- USMLE scores? 248/249/241
7- What # did you end up matching at? #2
8- Matched program (university vs community)? University program
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2005

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
Matched in a new program with only 1 yr of fellows, do you think it is worse to train? There is many uncertainty and challenges with the new program...

About the Ads
Apr 18, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1- Research: 2 original paper to mid level journals, few case reports, 1 pending review to top journal
2- multiple original research posters at acc and national meetings
3- Did you do a chief year? No
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 25
6- USMLE scores? 240s/240s/220s
8- Matched program (university vs community)? mid tier university program on the east coast
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2017 AMG

Last edited:

tn4596

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Matched in a new program with only 1 yr of fellows, do you think it is worse to train? There is many uncertainty and challenges with the new program...
still going to be a cardiologist...

bholro

2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2015
US IMG, matched at number 1.

1- Research: 1 original, first author publication in a major journal, multiple QI projects presented at national conferences, 1 review article
2- 1 research abstract presented at ACC, one at AHA
3- Did you do a chief year? Yes
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 14 (applied geographically)
6- USMLE scores? 250s/ 240s/ 230s
8- Matched program (university vs community)? top tier program in midwest
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2013, IMG

cardsguy2017

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2017
This is BS. Yale is the only quaternary center in CT. It has one of the highest transplant volumes and structural volume in the Northeast. Advanced fellows routinely perform ~400 PCIs/year. There is a dedicated peripheral program that takes 2 advanced fellows. You can get level 2 in echo, nuc and cath just by showing up. What is your comparison based off? If it is CCF, probably true. If it is the rest of %95 programs in the country, you don't have any clue.
This would've been great to know on my interview day years back. All I heard about was their research and only met one fellow the entire day. Maybe they changed things or their interview day since. The rumor then was they barely allowed level 2. Hard to have faith when a program or its fellows don't openly share their clinical experience. Mind you plenty programs were like this and not very open about their clinical training.

Aug 18, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
This would've been great to know on my interview day years back. All I heard about was their research and only met one fellow the entire day. Maybe they changed things or their interview day since. The rumor then was they barely allowed level 2. Hard to have faith when a program or its fellows don't openly share their clinical experience. Mind you plenty programs were like this and not very open about their clinical training.
It may have changed over the past few years, since PD has changed and they included a community hospital to their rotations.

shouldigomd

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Impossible to tell until you are there. I think there are challenges, pro's and con's in any type of program you join. That goes for new, old, large, small, university, and community.... If I learned anything during the interview trail it is that you will get a decent education at most institutions and the quality of cardiologist you become is on you.

I think SDN gives a very skewed version of reality. Congrats on matching!

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
Impossible to tell until you are there. I think there are challenges, pro's and con's in any type of program you join. That goes for new, old, large, small, university, and community.... If I learned anything during the interview trail it is that you will get a decent education at most institutions and the quality of cardiologist you become is on you.

I think SDN gives a very skewed version of reality. Congrats on matching!
I hope so too! Thank you

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys,

I am looking for cardiology hospitalist and welcome any suggestions. Thanks
I think you should also look at hospitalist positions that are in a hospital with cardiology fellowship in house. Especially the ones that could potentially match you, good luck.

Jun 18, 2019
Status
Other Health Professions Student
You can purchase the Awesome Review Course and the materials by calling the company directly 201-905-0102

About the Ads