Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

I am looking for cardiology hospitalist and welcome any suggestions. Thanks
Hartford Hospital has a position.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched in a new program with only 1 yr of fellows, do you think it is worse to train? There is many uncertainty and challenges with the new program...
still going to be a cardiologist...

US IMG, matched at number 1.

1- Research: 1 original, first author publication in a major journal, multiple QI projects presented at national conferences, 1 review article
2- 1 research abstract presented at ACC, one at AHA
3- Did you do a chief year? Yes
4- Your residency program (university vs community): University program
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 14 (applied geographically)
6- USMLE scores? 250s/ 240s/ 230s
7- What # did you end up matching at? #1
8- Matched program (university vs community)? top tier program in midwest
9- Visa : No
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2013, IMG

This is BS. Yale is the only quaternary center in CT. It has one of the highest transplant volumes and structural volume in the Northeast. Advanced fellows routinely perform ~400 PCIs/year. There is a dedicated peripheral program that takes 2 advanced fellows. You can get level 2 in echo, nuc and cath just by showing up. What is your comparison based off? If it is CCF, probably true. If it is the rest of %95 programs in the country, you don't have any clue.

This would've been great to know on my interview day years back. All I heard about was their research and only met one fellow the entire day. Maybe they changed things or their interview day since. The rumor then was they barely allowed level 2. Hard to have faith when a program or its fellows don't openly share their clinical experience. Mind you plenty programs were like this and not very open about their clinical training.

This would've been great to know on my interview day years back. All I heard about was their research and only met one fellow the entire day. Maybe they changed things or their interview day since. The rumor then was they barely allowed level 2. Hard to have faith when a program or its fellows don't openly share their clinical experience. Mind you plenty programs were like this and not very open about their clinical training.
It may have changed over the past few years, since PD has changed and they included a community hospital to their rotations.

Matched in a new program with only 1 yr of fellows, do you think it is worse to train? There is many uncertainty and challenges with the new program...

Impossible to tell until you are there. I think there are challenges, pro's and con's in any type of program you join. That goes for new, old, large, small, university, and community.... If I learned anything during the interview trail it is that you will get a decent education at most institutions and the quality of cardiologist you become is on you.

I think SDN gives a very skewed version of reality. Congrats on matching!

Reactions: 5 users
Impossible to tell until you are there. I think there are challenges, pro's and con's in any type of program you join. That goes for new, old, large, small, university, and community.... If I learned anything during the interview trail it is that you will get a decent education at most institutions and the quality of cardiologist you become is on you.

I think SDN gives a very skewed version of reality. Congrats on matching!
I hope so too! Thank you

Hi guys,

I am looking for cardiology hospitalist and welcome any suggestions. Thanks
I think you should also look at hospitalist positions that are in a hospital with cardiology fellowship in house. Especially the ones that could potentially match you, good luck.

Does anyone have access to awesome board review notes?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

You can purchase the Awesome Review Course and the materials by calling the company directly 201-905-0102

Are fellowship programs going to start as scheduled on July 1st first for first year fellows? I’d assume the credentialling would be running slow

Hey all. Does anyone know of any open non-acgme positions starting July 2020?

Hey all. Does anyone know of any open non-acgme positions starting July 2020?

Most, if not all, have filled (per a friend who was trying for a similar position). They usually interview in Dec/Jan and fill by February at the latest. Sometimes program coordinators or PDs on IM mailing lists will get notifications of openings. May want to try there.