Cardiology fellowship application 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can we do a poll for avg number of programs AMGs/DOs/US-IMGs/non US IMGs are ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have any idea how this new H1b prevailing wages rule will affect matching in H1b fellowship positions?

Anyone know anything about UT San Antonio program? How does it compare to the other Texas programs like UT Houston and UTSW

Members don't see this ad :)
A whiny and needy question here guys...how many interviews is a comfortable number to have to feel confident to match? I've had 5 and I really really like 3 of them, but obviously I'm super nervous like everyone else...

I would rather do home call. For our first year, we do 50 home call. Don't need to go in unless it's someone critically ill. We round on Saturday/Sunday as the on call fellow but typically get out of the hospital between 10 and 1 depending on the attending and census. I only had to go in like 5-8 times during the year, the rest you can just give recs over the phone and sign it out in the morning.

If I had to spend 4-6 weeks in the hospital doing nights, I would have gone crazy.

It depends on how busy the program is. For home calls, you dont get post call day and if it’s in house call you get a post call day off. In my program where we do in house calls first year, the average # of consults per weekday night is 10-12 + 1-3 ccu admissions. If we did the home call model we would have to come in fairly frequently and would have to work the next day too.

As far as night float vs call system, I personally think the call system is better for the long run. When you are attending, esp in PP, there won’t be a night float system and the call system now give u a better sense of what’s like out there.

Reactions: 1 user
I still think the applicant pool is the same number.
It's just that people are applying to more places.

There are more people applying too. If it’s just that people are applying to more programs causing the surge, the avg of interview per applicant should also be higher, which doesn’t seem like it’s the case.

There are more people applying too. If it’s just that people are applying to more programs causing the surge, the avg of interview per applicant should also be higher, which doesn’t seem like it’s the case.
that would presume programs have chosen to interview more people at the same ratio versus if they interview the same number of people, the average number would go down

that would presume programs have chosen to interview more people at the same ratio versus if they interview the same number of people, the average number would go down

That is true. But there was a chart floating around on sdn that basically showed the # of cardiology applicants have been increasing

Hey guys, id love for everyones input on a thought that’ll determine rank list.

Bigger university program versus university affiliated community program: my ultimate goal is for interventional cardiology. Although a bigger university program will help with exposure to much more complex cases, my procedural exposure will be limited because of advanced fellows. Additionally, places such as oschner are known to be quite malignant. This raised the question whether its worth it, or would it be better to train at a smaller university affiliated program where I could be more hands on with procedures and not miserable due to a malignant work environment.
Thanks in advance for your input

also, itd be nice to seewhat criteria everyones using to formulate rank lists. I know previous year forums did short personal impressions of each program, this may be helpful to everyone to see what others impressions are.

Bigger university program versus university affiliated community program: my ultimate goal is for interventional cardiology. Although a bigger university program will help with exposure to much more complex cases, my procedural exposure will be limited because of advanced fellows. Additionally, places such as oschner are known to be quite malignant. This raised the question whether its worth it, or would it be better to train at a smaller university affiliated program where I could be more hands on with procedures and not miserable due to a malignant work environment.

also, itd be nice to seewhat criteria everyones using to formulate rank lists. I know previous year forums did short personal impressions of each program, this may be helpful to everyone to see what others impressions are.

Stick with the program that’s going to get you into an IC fellowship. You’ll get your “hands on“ experience during IC fellowship.

Anyone have any thoughts on what kind of phrasing by PDs in response to your thank you email may point to how highly they'll rank you. I've had a few say they'd be very happy to match me or they really think I'd made a great fit but I don't know if that's just a generic response and they're sending other people more concrete answers or not. Any thoughts?

Can’t agree more. You have to secure an advanced spot first and foremost before thinking about procedural experience.

Anyone have any thoughts on what kind of phrasing by PDs in response to your thank you email may point to how highly they'll rank you. I've had a few say they'd be very happy to match me or they really think I'd made a great fit but I don't know if that's just a generic response and they're sending other people more concrete answers or not. Any thoughts?

Unless someone tells you “you’re ranked to match”, then it’s generic. Sorry.

And really what Pd will say to you “sorry, you’re not going fit in here”.

rank them how you like ‘em.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most high volume places will have more than enough cases for fellows to scrub in on. In at a university program and on my cath month, I was getting access and manipulating catheters. I logged like 150 diagnostics in my two months in the lab. We have two interventional fellows and they took over if there was a PCI or we were having trouble.

Any advice on rank list:

Westchester NYMC
UConn Hartford
WVU
ECU/Vidant
UofLouisvulle
SUNY Upstate
Marshall University
CAMC Charleston WV

If you end up getting either a publication or a poster accepted mid application cycle is it ok to update programs you have interviewed about this?

When sending a program CV updates, do you email the PC or the PD?

Literally one PD asked me to read EKGs during a panel interview. Really weird !

Hi Guys,

New poster here. I have the following 9 interviews. 7 interviews completed. Would appreciate insight on any of the following programs regarding rank list. I'm thinking University programs higher. Family is mainly in Northeast (NYC, upstate NY, NJ).

Appreciate your insight / advice if you have any regarding the programs and how you would rank them. Thanks!

1. East Carolina University (Greenville, NC)
  2. Geisinger Medical Center (Danville, PA)
  3. New York-Presbyterian / Queens (Queens, NY)
  4. SUNY Upstate Medical University (Syracuse, NY) -- have yet to interview
  5. Canton / NEOMED / Aultman Hospital (Canton, OH) -- have yet to interview
  6. University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI)
  7. Guthrie / Robert Packer Hospital (Sayre, PA)
  8. Riverside Medical Center (Kankakee, IL; 1 hour south of Chicago)
  9. Oklahoma State University (Tulsa, OK)

A whiny and needy question here guys...how many interviews is a comfortable number to have to feel confident to match? I've had 5 and I really really like 3 of them, but obviously I'm super nervous like everyone else...
There is no magic number to be honest. I would say 8-10 is a very good number.

Felt pretty weird reading the EKG with 5-6 cardiologists looking at me. LOL

Luckily I’ve had no one asking me to read EKGs in front of them.But I’ve heard stories and was nervous that they would ask me to read in front of them. Which program was this?

I guess I'll start with some "help with rank list" posts! I have my own rank list in mind obviously, but wanted to get some additional insight from others about the strengths/weaknesses of these programs.

For perspective, my career interest is in critical care cardiology. Mostly Midwest. Not interested in living in big cities (NY, Chicago, LA, etc). Select programs in other geographic areas due to family connections. Looking for program with strong gen cards training, good CC rep (in case I stay there for CC training), and academic research opportunities (particularly outcomes/clinical research). I'd love your thoughts!

CCF
Yale
UMich
UW
WashU
UKentucky
UPMC
UWisconsin
UMinnesota
URochester
OSU

Thanks in advance!

I guess I'll start with some "help with rank list" posts! I have my own rank list in mind obviously, but wanted to get some additional insight from others about the strengths/weaknesses of these programs.

For perspective, my career interest is in critical care cardiology. Mostly Midwest. Not interested in living in big cities (NY, Chicago, LA, etc). Select programs in other geographic areas due to family connections. Looking for program with strong gen cards training, good CC rep (in case I stay there for CC training), and academic research opportunities (particularly outcomes/clinical research). I'd love your thoughts!

CCF
Yale
UMich
UW
WashU
UKentucky
UPMC
UWisconsin
UMinnesota
URochester
OSU

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for sharing your interview experience and career goals with us. As someone who also is interested in critical care cardiology and outcomes research and who interviewed at a number of the programs you did, I probably went through the same thought process you did when ranking. I hope you find my comments useful.

Some factors that were important for me, and that I think will be important if choosing a career in academic CC cardiology, were academic productivity of the current fellows, mentorship in the sort of outcomes research you're interested in, where fellows went for academic appointments post-fellowship, robustness of the program's transplant/MCS program (as you're aware, most CC cardiology patients are end-stage heart failure with some sort of MCS as bridge to transplant/VAD), and strength of collaboration between between cardiology and CT surgery. I also thought about positions obtained post-training, but given that CC cardiologists seem to be in demand at many academic institutions, I think many of the above's reputation will get you where you want to go location-wise. And as far as clinical training, you'll get solid training at any of those programs, so pick the one that will get you where you want to go. You only need to see so much shock/place a-lines, SG caths, CVCs/do bedside TTEs before you hit a skill cap.

Lastly, the presence of in-house CCM fellowship: on your list, the programs with CCM programs include Pitt, CCF, UW, URochester. But really, most of those programs will put you in a solid place for CCM fellowship, as it's not nearly as competitive as cardiology.

My experience with programs: all things considered, I think Pitt is probably the best balance of clinical/academic given your interest in academic CCC, as they have one of the best CCM fellowships in the country, a very reputable/clinical strong cardiology fellowship, and from what I could gather, the CCM division overall is fairly collaborative, high-impact, and productive.

Yale is probably the best for outcomes research as they are an NCDR analytic center, have a dedicated and proven outcomes research track, and will build your academic portfolio the most. I think equally important, if not more important, than "reputation" of the program is what you publish and accomplish in fellowship. Didn't interview at Michigan, but former trainees/friends have mentioned similarly strong outcomes research.

(Perhaps something to consider research-wise is who on faculty is involved in the CCCTN (critical care cardiology trials network, Critical Care Cardiology Trials Network (CCCTN) and seeing if anyone is publishing in your area of interest)

UW: good balance of clinical and academic, but not as academic as yale/UMich/WashU. CCM program is very strong, and also one of the best in the country, but more surgical focused.

Minnesota: if you're interested in ECMO, lots of pioneering work being done here, including cannulation of ECMO in the field for OHCA. Hennepin for CCM fellowship is just next door.

CCF has great clinical CCU training and CCM training, but I think your chances of building a solid academic portfolio/finding your academic niche there are lower.

Hope this was somewhat helpful, and best of luck.

Is it consider a bad sign if you don't receive any response from programs after your thank you email? Did not hear back from any of the programs (not even any generic response).

Is it consider a bad sign if you don't receive any response from programs after your thank you email? Did not hear back from any of the programs (not even any generic response).
No. It's a mixed bag on if they respond and the responses shouldn't be read into either.

Hello all, would really appreciate some input on ROL. No geographic preference. Interested in interventional cards (nt sure though)

- Rutgers
- Vermont
- San antonio
- NBI
- Lankenau
- SIU
- Bridgeport
- Morristown

Thanks!

hello, another ROL/'help me rank' post. any input would be appreciated. no geographic preference

Northwell (main program)
Loyola
Henry Ford
Allegheny Gen
Jefferson
Mt Sinai Beth Israel

hello, another ROL/'help me rank' post. any input would be appreciated. no geographic preference

Northwell (main program)
Loyola
Henry Ford
Allegheny Gen
Jefferson
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
Probably depends what you want to do in the future
would lean
Northwell
HF
JEff
Loyola
MSBI
Allegheny

Any program insights into UF Gainesville vs UF Jacksonville vs UM Jackson Memorial
Looking towards IC and eventual non academic private job
interviewed at gainsville and miami.
objectively gainesville is probably stronger in every which way. would lean that way.

ive heard awful things about jacksonville

Northwell (main program)
Loyola
Henry Ford
Allegheny Gen
Jefferson
Mt Sinai Beth Israel

Northwell Manhasset and Henry Ford are definitely a step above the rest. Especially if you want to do anything procedure related- IC and EP, Northwell will set you up a good start. IC has traditionally been strong (One of the highest pci volume in the country) but they recruited Laurence Epstein and his EP group from BWH a few years back and their volumes have exploded in the NYC scene.

CCF
Yale
UMich
UW
WashU
UKentucky
UPMC
UWisconsin
UMinnesota
URochester
OSU

Thanks in advance!

UMinnesota is expected to have a dedicated cardiology critical care fellowship up and running in the next year or so

CCF
Yale
UMich
UW
WashU
UKentucky
UPMC
UWisconsin
UMinnesota
URochester
OSU

Thanks in advance!
For what it's worth, UKentucky has a fairly new critical care pathway as well and just had their first fellow start in it this year.

Would really appreciate input on ROL. I am interested in interventional/structural. Location is not an issue for me.

UConn Hartford
Westchester/ NY medical college
Marshall
CAMC
WVU
ECU
University of Louisville
SUNY upstate

Hi all, how would you rank these for your personal experiences. Interest is mainly interventional or structural imaging.

UPMC
OSU
UMKC Mid America
U of Miami
Oregon
U of Iowa
USC Keck Medical Center

thanks in advance

I still think the applicant pool is the same number.
It's just that people are applying to more places.

The ERAS fellowship numbers for the 2021 cycle just came out. Looks like the number of applicants for Cardiovascular Disease went up from 1568 to 1776 so up about 13%, with increased USMDs, DOs, and IMG applicants. However the average number of applications per applicant is only up about 5-8%.

The ERAS fellowship numbers for the 2021 cycle just came out. Looks like the number of applicants for Cardiovascular Disease went up from 1568 to 1776 so up about 13%, with increased USMDs, DOs, and IMG applicants. However the average number of applications per applicant is only up about 5-8%.
They say the data is collected from Oct to April, so I would assume this is from previous match. We did not apply until August.

Hi all, new poster here (out of frustration :arghh:).
Applied to dozens of programs, but haven't heard back from the majority of them, including several programs that are on the list of having sent responses out. I did just get an interview offer today (!?!), and it seemed like an "unvitation" - "we just had a spot open up tomorrow, do you want to interview?"
Is it worthwhile e-mailing programs to reaffirm my interest in the program/check on the status of my application, or is it a lost cause/seen as a nuisance? If so, thoughts on what to say/who to send it to?
What is everyone's thoughts regarding post-interview thank you e-mails? Who are you sending them to? Would you send one to the PD even if he/she did not interview you?
Since I'm losing hope already, what are some backup plans if you don't end up matching?

How many programs did you apply to, and how many interviews are you planning on going to? Are you US MD, DO, or IMG? Do you have a home program to fall back on?

Based on past Charting the Outcomes data in 2018 having around 10 or more interviews would give >95% chance of matching.

Okay. N=1. Home program saw increase in applications by 35%. I think IMGs and DOs know to stay away because they have zero shot.

Or maybe we just popular.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just want your opinion/help on ranking the following programs. Ultimate goal is interventional cardiology

university ofsouth dakota
University of tennesee
UTMB

Interested in non-invasive cardiology, perhaps heart failure. Help me rank: Northwell Manhasset, VCU, University of Nebraska, Mount Sinai/Elmhurst (Mount Sinai Clinical Track), Penn State, and Baylor Dallas.

All great. I'd say: Northwell, Baylor, VCU, Penn State, Nebraska, MSCT