- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Cardiology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiology fellowship application 2020-2021
Started by bm2001
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
KussmaulSign
New Member
Hey did anyone who interviewed at Henry Ford get a bag of coffee beans a couple of weeks after the interview? Wondering if they sent this to everyone.
i also got one. but dont think everyone did. I know for a fact they've very interested in me. My guess is you are in that same boat. Congrats!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KussmaulSign
New Member
Does anyone have thoughts on Rush vs Loyola? I am undecided on PP v academics. Leaning towards noninvasive.
Last edited:
Does anyone have thoughts on Rush vs Loyola? I am undecided on PP v academics. Leaning towards noninvasive.
Loyola is pretty well rounded. Good heart failure and interventional. And having good heart failure means you need decent imaging and EP.
Rush, OTOH, is worse than a lot of community programs with respect to cardiology. I'm originally from Chicago and I didn't apply there.
KussmaulSign
New Member
Loyola is pretty well rounded. Good heart failure and interventional. And having good heart failure means you need decent imaging and EP.
Rush, OTOH, is worse than a lot of community programs with respect to cardiology. I'm originally from Chicago and I didn't apply there.
can you elaborate a bit? Worse in what ways?
Anyone started submitting RoL yet? is it too early or can we safely say no more interviews are going out
Can wait another week to be sure, but it’s safe to say that there will be no more interview invites. Per my in-house cardiology PD, many programs have started having their rank meetings.
Last edited:
Hey guys, just want your opinion/help on ranking the following programs. Ultimate goal is interventional cardiology
university ofsouth dakota
University of tennesee
UTMB
would go to UT if you want interventional - they have a decent program. although i heard that their IM program is having some trouble staying in one of there hopsitals. not sure if it translates to cards
Does anyone have thoughts on Rush vs Loyola? I am undecided on PP v academics. Leaning towards noninvasive.
Would personally go with loyola - rush relies just on its name and the program is pretty weak. i heard they have lost a ton of attendings over the past few years and have trouble retaining faculty. they recently started doing VADs no plans for transplant either
Hi guys, thoughts on Baylor College of Medicine and Georgetown? Thanks
i have a friend who recently graduated from Georgetown and often complained that it was a workhorse program. seemed to be reallllly rough for him. cant comment on baylor, but have heard Virani is awesome
i have a friend who recently graduated from Georgetown and often complained that it was a workhorse program. seemed to be reallllly rough for him. cant comment on baylor, but have heard Virani is awesome
Thanks for this! Good luck on the match!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have insight on U Florida, UAMS, U Alabama Birmingham, and Henry Ford on overall training. I'm interested in academia, but undecided on if I want to subspecialize.
UAB > HF > UF
Depends what you want to do UF seeems to be trending more heart failure exposure. at HF youll get a ton of cool interventional cases (if youre interested). UAB is just overall awesome with a huge encatchment area
Any insights/ranking thoughts about U of Iowa, Oregon and UPMC and University of Missouri Kansas city - MidAmerica?
I think there’s a very fine line between “workhorse” and learning. I know nothing about Georgetown.i have a friend who recently graduated from Georgetown and often complained that it was a workhorse program. seemed to be reallllly rough for him. cant comment on baylor, but have heard Virani is awesome
Cardiology is just one of those specialties where you want to be worked. You want terrible call. You want the sickest patients. You want autonomy. You want to be in stressful situations. You’ll be better trained and better for it once you’re in the “real” world.
I think there’s a very fine line between “workhorse” and learning. I know nothing about Georgetown.
Cardiology is just one of those specialties where you want to be worked. You want terrible call. You want the sickest patients. You want autonomy. You want to be in stressful situations. You’ll be better trained and better for it once you’re in the “real” world.
That works assuming the program is quality and dedicated to your learning. Not all fellowships are like that.
Any thoughts on Iowa, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson, Penn State, Cooper, Buffalo, Albany, West Virginia, Lehigh Valley, Prisma University of South Carolina, Lankenau, Christiana Care, and Reading?
Any thoughts on Iowa, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson, Penn State, Cooper, Buffalo, Albany, West Virginia, Lehigh Valley, Prisma University of South Carolina, Lankenau, Christiana Care, and Reading?
Depends what you are looking for.
Iowa and Penn St stand out academically among that group. Penn St has strongest Advanced HF among the group I believe, although I am not familiar with all of the ones you listed.
Thoughts on Loyola? Not as academically rigorous/recognized as the nearby Northwestern or U Chicago, but seems to have good volumes, exposure and training.
Same question/thoughts re: Temple.
Interested in HF or IC.
Same question/thoughts re: Temple.
Interested in HF or IC.
Depends what you are looking for.
Iowa and Penn St stand out academically among that group. Penn St has strongest Advanced HF among the group I believe, although I am not familiar with all of the ones you listed.
I am interested in doing non-invasive general cardiology for now with likely private/community practice after graduation. Thank you for your help!
Any insights about USC Keck program at LA?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never understood the X vs Y programs from anonymous posters and responders - is it really going to influence your list? What if the downplay a strong program because they want it?
Hi all, sorry to ask the usual “help with ranking”, but have been unable to find great info and don’t really know anyone in the area regarding these programs. Interested in either IC or EP. How would you rank Jeff, NYMC, Stony and then Iowa, Penn State, Allegheny, Wayne State?
Thanks in advance. These programs sadly don’t all have where their fellows move on for training and I’m unsure of their reputations as I am not near any of these. Thanks!
Thanks in advance. These programs sadly don’t all have where their fellows move on for training and I’m unsure of their reputations as I am not near any of these. Thanks!
whatsnext27
New Member
Anybody have any thoughts on Cedars-Sinai vs UT Southwestern vs U Chicago? Thanks
Any thoughts on UK vs Henry ford?
Hey did anyone who interviewed at Henry Ford get a bag of coffee beans a couple of weeks after the interview? Wondering if they sent this to everyone.
I got that too. They sent it to everyone!
I never understood the X vs Y programs from anonymous posters and responders - is it really going to influence your list? What if the downplay a strong program because they want it?
It is just a hope to get a little more info about certain places or provide reassurance when there is such little information available about most programs. You can say the same thing about interviews where everyone puts on their smiling faces.
Anybody have any thoughts on Cedars-Sinai vs UT Southwestern vs U Chicago? Thanks
Academic or private, warm vs cold.
Some combination of that will give you your answer.
Any thoughts on how would you rank those programs?
Emory OHSU (Oregon Health & Science Uni) Methodist Henry Ford Loyola Uni of Miami
Uni of Kentucky
In tiers
Emor, OHSU
HF, Methodist, Loyola
UM, Kentucky
In tiers
Emor, OHSU
HF, Methodist, Loyola
UM, Kentucky
Thank you so much for your insight! I had the exact tier classification for the programs as yours. I was only not very sure where OHSU falls within.
Okay, this is our last “how many interview type poll this year!” It has definitely been a pleasure knowing and chatting with all of you 🙂 I have not been as present for almost a month now due to family health issues etc that I had to attend to, but I am so grateful to have met so many friends this season!!! Let’s keep these groups open and keep eachother updated for future! I would hate to lose you guys . I guess see it as a different type of networking
WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK AND MAY WE ALL MATCH INTO OUR TOP PROGRAM!!!
Poll link: Have your say: How many programs did you rank by the end of this season? (Tick others and add your results if not in list :)
AND one last time, the links to our group chats this year:
Cardiology Match 2020-21
Cardiology2match 2020-21
Cardiology3Match 2020-21
I know many people may leave by end of season anyway (Cry*), but i will see how many of you are willing to stay with me, and maybe we can compile one final group with whoever left to help and support eachother in future 🙂
YOU ARE ALL MY MATCH BUDDIES LOL (kisses*)
WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK AND MAY WE ALL MATCH INTO OUR TOP PROGRAM!!!
Poll link: Have your say: How many programs did you rank by the end of this season? (Tick others and add your results if not in list :)
AND one last time, the links to our group chats this year:
Cardiology Match 2020-21
Cardiology2match 2020-21
Cardiology3Match 2020-21
I know many people may leave by end of season anyway (Cry*), but i will see how many of you are willing to stay with me, and maybe we can compile one final group with whoever left to help and support eachother in future 🙂
YOU ARE ALL MY MATCH BUDDIES LOL (kisses*)
Good in interventional. Very weak outpatient experience; the sister program @ NS/LIJ a few tiers ahead IMOanyone have thoughts on Lenox Hill? great area, northwell bought it... anyone know anything concrete
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are some extremely well-qualified IMGs and DOs! I would think it is in a program’s best interest to not limit themselves to one type of candidateOkay. N=1. Home program saw increase in applications by 35%. I think IMGs and DOs know to stay away because they have zero shot.
Or maybe we just popular.
I hear you. I agree with you. But, I’m just being real with you.There are some extremely well-qualified IMGs and DOs! I would think it is in a program’s best interest to not limit themselves to one type of candidate
(ps I’m not a PD)
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 434
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 10K