Cards fellowships at Baylor, UMich, Milwaukee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can anyone give me any information they have regarding cards fellowships at these programs, such as call schedule (in house vs home), atmosphere (malignant vs laid back), information on the cities they are in, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
Can't speak as a fellow, but I did research at Children's in Milwaukee at the heart center for a year before I started school and spent time with the fellows, cardiologists, and surgeons. The docs there are amazing. Every subspecialty is well represented and they are definitely out to teach. It tends to be a very busy place as they get all the referrals basically from WI and some from northern Chicago. The chief of congenital heart surgery, Jim Tweddell, is very well known for his Norwood operation and the cardiology team is well known for their management of these infants. They were also one of the first places to put a Berlin heart (artificial heart) into an infant while I was there. I want to say that they did about 750 heart operations last year. Their senior surgeon who actually started the program retired in Dec. so they are in the hunt for a third surgeon. As such, while I was there, infants from around the nation were actually referred to Milwaukee. They have a busy Cath lab and do A LOT of interventional procedures. Their head guy, Dr. Pelech, is super nice and they have two other guys as well in cath. I would say one of their strongest areas is echo. Peter Frommelt and his wife are basically genious at this area and GREAT teachers. If a college grad can completely understand echoes of all diff. type of congenital heart disease, they are definitely doing something right. Michele Frommelt also is in charge of fetal echo which is becoming very prevelant and they now talk about babies about to be born with CHD monthly prior to birth. They also have 2 docs specializing in MRI and at least 2 dedicated to adult CHD and Marfans syndrome.
The fellows seemed happy and they said that they feel like they get to see a lot of diff. diseases due to the high volume. Milwaukee is a good city if you are from the Midwest, but the winters are rough and humidity sucks in the summer.
Hope that helps!