Career Changer: Starting from scratch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My personal experiences throughout years of teaching English abroad has inspired me to pursue a career in health sciences. I am now looking into applying to a strong post-bac program for those who have no or little science. I have been out of school for five years. When I was an undergrad, I did poorly(B,B and C+) in the three basic science classes I was required to take to graduate. I am not sure how the post-bac committee will view these delinquent grades since I still need to count them in the AMCAS.

Otherwise, I have a pretty solid UGPA from a school that is notoriously known to be difficult and competitive. My bad science grades have brought down my overall GPA, but my major GPAs (Classics and English) are close to 4.0. I have an extraordinary ECs including a year of Fullbright scholarship, research abroad experience and volunteer research experience with Doctors without Borders.

I am considering Drexel, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Mills, UPenn and Bennington post-bac programs. I have noticed that Goucher and Bryn Mawr especially look at test scores that are consistent with academic records since high school. Is anyone out there who got into Goucher or Bryn Mawr with a solid UGPA but average test scores (ACT 28 and SAT 1320)? I studied in an international French high school where I learned English as a teenager. So, my ACT and SAT probably do not accurately reflect my current verbal skills.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly are you asking for feedback on? Your college record? The likelihood of getting accepted into a post-bacc program? Which one you should choose? Whether you need a formal program at all, or just the prerequisite classes? Give us a hint... :)

I am particularly interested in finding out what exactly post-bac adcoms look at in reviewing applicants' academic and non-academic records. Does anyone have any insight on post-bac admissions process besides the standard answer of "Oh, they look at everything"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, looking at your record, I don't entirely understand why you're looking for a formal post-bacc. You overall GPA is good, and your science grades aren't stellar, but they don't stink, either. If you take the premed prereqs with labs at a university convenient to you, as a special student, and get a 4.0, you'll wind up with a pretty nice science GPA. If you add a couple advanced sciences, you'll be in pretty good shape. Are you looking for the linkages to med schools, the formality and structure of a postbacc, or do you feel strongly about pursuing full-time study and feel that you might just as well be in a formal post-bacc?

Your science GPA is subpar for med school admission as it stands, but it's not "delinquent". C's and D's are bad grades, and require much time, effort, and dedication to overcome. But a 2.75 in just three classes can be turned to a 3.5 by great performance in the prereq courses. Not trying to poo-poo your plans here. But it's always good to ask "is this trip really necessary" before you set out.

Hi Cold Penguin, I got into the Bryn Mawr program, and rejected from the Goucher program, with a solid UGPA and average SAT scores. With these post-bacc programs, it's best not to try second-guess who and what they will accept, because it really is a mystery. I was definitely surprised by the decisons. If you're on the cusp, the only way you can find out is to apply. If you want more specific information, PM me.

I agree with LilyMD. I think your experiences are very impressive, and postbac programs would most definitely take that into account. Also, in terms of previous science grades, I don't think you need to worry too much about them. They're really not that bad, plus they're old. I worked with a psychiatrist currently at MGH who had gotten a D in a freshman year biology course, but applied to the Bryn Mawr's postbac program anyway and gotten in. She also got accepted to a linkage with Dartmouth and later got into MGH for residency.

In terms of your SAT scores, one factor that also might be taken into consideration is whether you had taken the test before or after the SAT scores were recentered (I think it changed in 1995). If you had taken it before, it would suggest that by current standards, your SAT scores would be much
higher, even by as much as 100 points, depending. So keep that in mind as well.

I've thought about taking all pre-requisites on my own, but I very much prefer being back in an academic environment where I can keep myself focused without having to work. It will help me tremendously in getting to know professors and getting science-related letters of recommendations. Money is a bit of issue, but because going for med school at this point of my life takes much pressure to sustain, I thought having some kind of a transitional period on campus would come before saving money. I will be working till next May or so and start post-bac in June.

As far as my high GPA, I have a feeling that my GPA may have to make up for a low MCAT score. Although I haven't yet taken MCAT, (I am nowhere near being qualified for it now) I am not a very good test taker, and my SAT score above took me two years of memorizing the never-ending vocab list (that horrible Barron's 3000 vocab list in those old days; they may still have it now)

samenewme said:
Actually, looking at your record, I don't entirely understand why you're looking for a formal post-bacc. You overall GPA is good, and your science grades aren't stellar, but they don't stink, either. If you take the premed prereqs with labs at a university convenient to you, as a special student, and get a 4.0, you'll wind up with a pretty nice science GPA. If you add a couple advanced sciences, you'll be in pretty good shape. Are you looking for the linkages to med schools, the formality and structure of a postbacc, or do you feel strongly about pursuing full-time study and feel that you might just as well be in a formal post-bacc?

Your science GPA is subpar for med school admission as it stands, but it's not "delinquent". C's and D's are bad grades, and require much time, effort, and dedication to overcome. But a 2.75 in just three classes can be turned to a 3.5 by great performance in the prereq courses. Not trying to poo-poo your plans here. But it's always good to ask "is this trip really necessary" before you set out.

Cold Penguin said:
I've thought about taking all pre-requisites on my own, but I very much prefer being back in an academic environment where I can keep myself focused without having to work. It will help me tremendously in getting to know professors and getting science-related letters of recommendations. Money is a bit of issue, but because going for med school at this point of my life takes much pressure to sustain, I thought having some kind of a transitional period on campus would come before saving money. I will be working till next May or so and start post-bac in June.

As far as my high GPA, I have a feeling that my GPA may have to make up for a low MCAT score. Although I haven't yet taken MCAT, (I am nowhere near being qualified for it now) I am not a very good test taker, and my SAT score above took me two years of memorizing the never-ending vocab list (that horrible Barron's 3000 vocab list in those old days; they may still have it now)

Luckily the MCAT is for science people, no vocab lists. I also got an okay SAT score (before the recentering actually so it looks LOW by today's standards) but did quite well on the MCAT. It is a very different test. Also keep in mind that you took the SAT in high school. One thing I learned as a post bacc is that the mind gets clearer somewhere in the mid 20s, at least mine did, and academic things get much easier.

Formal post-bacc isn't bad. It does give you structure and you are surrounded by people who are doing the same thing you are. Probably no help in worrying about which program you will be accepted to now. These programs tend to look for people who have a chance to get accepted to med school and I don't think you should have a problem. Good luck.

For those who have done the post-bac program and studied MCAT at the same time as a career-changer, how did you manage such a rigorous process? Here, I am talking about career-changers who began post-bac with no pre-med science experience, did everything in one year and managed to take MCAT in April of the same year as post-bac. I have heard and read about people who have done this, but it seems very unreal to me. I mean, you know, it seem so much at once. But then, what can't you not do with well-prepared motivated mindset?

Are you just a good test-taker? Did you really count on getting 13-15 on verbal and getting 7-8 from two other science sections?

All of you gave me many helpful feedbacks through PMs and replies on this board. I'd love to hear more about your admissions experiences and backgrounds. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in sharing your experience.

Thanks to all.

Any other opinion on my inquiries above?

Cold Penguin, how did you get into Doctors without Borders. Just curious. (I have not taken the MCAT so I cannot comment on your inquiry.)

Hey Cold Penguin,

I am a career changer too, but I opted not to do a formal post-bacc program. For me, the reasoning was two-fold: first, I didn't want to wait for admission to a formal program, and second, I had to stay in the area where I was working (husband with job, myself with job, car payments, house with mortgage, etc.) I ended up taking all of the pre-requisites in three semesters (first semester I finished up the second semester of general chem, which I hadn't taken as an undergrad, while continuing to work full time; the next two semesters, I took organic chem, physics, biology and anatomy/physiology, worked part time and studied for the MCAT.)

This route was cheaper and more convenient than a formal post-bacc program would have been for me. But it was NOT FUN. I didn't have time for anything else besides school, studying, and work. It is possible to do but very demanding. However, please don't be discouraged. I had no science background as an undergrad and still managed to do really well on the MCAT in all three areas. I think what helped me most was having all the material fresh in my mind. I also took a Kaplan class, which forced me to study and review a little at a time.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that it is possible to complete post-bacc coursework without a formal post-bacc program. The pre-med advisor at my school was available to me just as she was to all the other "normal" pre-meds. If money is an issue for you, it might be worthwhile to look into finishing up your pre-requisites over the next two semesters at a college/university near where you currently work--especially if your boss would let you work part time or flex your hours to make room for your classes.

Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck! :luck: :thumbup: