Career Changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCOldie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is interested in attending medical school in the future. She is in a career, but her previous major was not science-related. She did not take a single science course. I took all of my prerequisites as a DIY, so I am not sure if a career changer is what she needs. If she did a search for career changer programs on AAMC, would the result be a list of programs that do not require the applicant to have previous science courses or be a previous medical school applicant? It just seems like a majority of the programs I have heard of require that the applicant have all of the prerequisites for medical school already completed or even be a previous medical school applicant. She says she is interested in an actual program so that she can be guaranteed to complete the courses in a certain amount of time (1-2 years) and be guaranteed a spot in the course without being last for registration as in a DIY. Any information you have about career changer programs will be helpful to her, I am sure.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If she did a search for career changer programs on AAMC, would the result be a list of programs that do not require the applicant to have previous science courses or be a previous medical school applicant?
It would have taken you 9x less time to do that AAMC search than to type your question. And before you hit search on AAMC you can see the kinds of programs they list.

Meanwhile, the AAMC list is just a starting point FOR YOUR FRIEND to do the work to figure out what programs make sense for her.

I did the search and I do not think my question translated well...

I did the search for "career-changer" programs and saw a long list. I asked a simple question, out of curiosity. Out of curiosity, will my friend have to search through each of these programs to see which ones do not require the medical applicant prerequisites, or are these programs guaranteed to not require the prerequisites?
I believe I am just trying to find out what makes a program classified as a career-changer program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...to sum it up in a nutshell, here's the list of the most common career-changer post-bacs that basically want you to not have taken any of the prereqs to begin with:

Columbia
Harvard Extension
JHU
Scripps
Bryn Mawr
Goucher
USC
LMU
Chapman
UCLA Ext

It is important to note though, that the top 4 (JHU, Scripps, BM and Goucher) are quite competitive to be admitted. The avg gpa of my year was 3.7 and an average of 700/800 in each SAT score section.

Well...to sum it up in a nutshell, here's the list of the most common career-changer post-bacs that basically want you to not have taken any of the prereqs to begin with:

Harvard Extension shouldn't be on this list. There used to be a Diploma in Premedical Studies from HES that did require that the core prereqs not have been taken elsewhere, but the Diploma was retired some time ago, and only served a small percentage of HES postbacs anyway.

Harvard Extension shouldn't be on this list. There used to be a Diploma in Premedical Studies from HES that did require that the core prereqs not have been taken elsewhere, but the Diploma was retired some time ago, and only served a small percentage of HES postbacs anyway.

Oh thanks for the correction! I always saw people talking about it on here so yeah.

Reactions: 1 user
HES is a program that can be used for people who have done some or none of the pre-reqs.

Its non-degree granting, but a perfect place to do classes cheaply at a good name.