This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinicalPsychtoBe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've been accepted to Mercer's clinical medical PsyD program! I love the medical component of this program and the vast amount of practicum opportunities in Atlanta, but it all comes at a cost of $94,600. My husband would be supporting us so living expenses would be covered. I'm just not sure the earning potential justifies the cost of the program. Does this seem like a poor decision financially? Would it take me forever to pay this debt off?

I've also been accepted to a PhD program in clinical psych with a concentration in ABA. I'm not super thrilled about the idea of writing a thesis and dissertation, and I want to ultimately end up working in a clinical or hospital setting. This program does come with funding so a huge bonus for this option. I'm just not sure how the career from this option would pan out.

I would love thoughts, opinions, advice on if the PsyD is worth it or if I should go the debt free PhD route!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first question, what is "medical" psychology and how is it different from clinical psychology. How will this program prepare you differently from the other clinical psych program where you were accepted.? And will this difference be worth the oppressive debt you may incur or could you find similar training during grad school or afterward anyway?

Mercer is not accredited and that will severely limit your employment potential.

I am also curious about the timing of this thread. Most reputable programs have completed their acceptance by April 15th

They are on track to receive accreditation next year is what they told me at my interview.
you should search all the threads about promises of accreditation. I don't mean to say they are lying but I'd wait for it to happen.

Their curriculum look exactly the same as every other clinical or counseling psych program to me. Also not sure what is "medical" about it. That's not a recognized speciality in psych, so it hasn't no defined professional meaning. When you graduate you will just have a normal clinical psych degree and go up for license as a normal clinical psychologist.
I didn't see it in their program materials but it had to have a dissertation of some sort.
I'd take the funded program for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
IIRC, UAB and LSU both have “medical” psychology programs -- It’s always seemed to me like it would be better described as health psych or behavioral medicine. Not sure what criteria these programs use to justify the descriptions of their programs.

IIRC, UAB and LSU both have “medical” psychology programs -- It’s always seemed to me like it would be better described as health psych or behavioral medicine. Not sure what criteria these programs use to justify the descriptions of their programs.
I think the rationale for UAB describing their program as Medical/Clinical Psychology is that they lean a bit more on the practitioner side of the scientist-practitioner model and emphasize on training for careers in medical contexts. This is reflected in the clinical practica during the program, though they don't have an in-house clinic. All of the practica is outside of the program itself (e.g. Spain Rehabilitation, VA facilities, etc.,), but some are still through other parts of the overall university, e.g. Civitan-Sparks.