Career Outlook: Perio vs Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerioPlease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
D3 here. Incredibly interested in both peds and perio, and can see myself doing both. Curious what the general opinions are on the future of peds vs perio?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you like seeings tons of patients, good with kids, and doing restorative work or seeing a few patients and doing surgery?

The day to day practice is completely different for peds and perio. Have you shadowed either in private practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both fields are promising. The question you need to ask yourself. Are you a team player and will enjoy the interaction of working with a GP? Or are more of an individual who would rather focus on seeing patients, building a practice without all the necessary interaction with GPs?

A pedo practice is very similar to a GP practice. You attract patients through your efforts .... not necessarily through non-patient referrals. You don't need GP referrals to succeed.

A perio practice needs to work with GPs. Some like those dental politics and others do not.

Reactions: 1 users
You can do both! Since peds arches are so small you can do fixed All-on-2, baby sinus lifts, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You can do both! Since peds arches are so small you can do fixed All-on-2, baby sinus lifts, etc.
This is the future, there are millions of edentulous infants out there. Really untapped market.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
This is the future, there are millions of edentulous infants out there. Really untapped market.

baby teeth.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Overall outlook and income potential is probably pretty similar for perio and pedo. Expensive surgeries for a few older patients vs lots of quick procedures for a wide population of kids.

Definitely spend a day in a private practice office for each and see which style you like more.

Reactions: 1 user
for me it would be: do i want to run around all day doing a million procedures on screaming kids? nope. if you do, then you are set.
i think perio is amazing because we barely see any kids!