Career switcher with some significant related experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1tional

Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm fully aware this post may identify me, but I want to present my situation as clearly and completely as possible in order to receive the best feedback. I am a non-traditional applicant exiting the pharmaceutical industry where I held a marketing role (think: how much can I price this drug or device?). I've browsed so many articles and threads about non-traditional applicants, and there are some common themes but also a lot of variability. I am hoping to apply to medical school next cycle (entry 2022). My biggest concerns are:
  • Assuming I get a competitive MCAT, do I stand a chance at gaining entry to some of the "higher tier" medical schools? (That could potentially open the doors for an academic medical career).
    • Note: I am aware that there are a lot of built-in assumptions to this question which may not be true in reality (e.g., one has to go to a high tier med school to get an academic medical career; "tier" of medical school matters for non-traditional students). The reason I am so gung-ho about an academic career is because of all my mentors who inspire me in that space; and I'd like to get involved in pushing the boundaries of care.
  • How big of an issue is my undergraduate GPA? Do I need to mitigate this risk with a post-baccalaureate program?
Brief background (the story is weird, so I appreciate you reading this piece of "therapy")

Academic:
  • Undergraduate (2014): BS, Johns Hopkins. cGPA: 3.5 (science GPA is very close to cGPA). completed pre-med coursework and have advanced science courses.
    • Upward trend; I got distracted during this time by research and I am better at time-management now
  • Graduate: Joint MPH and MBA program in 2 years, Johns Hopkins. cGPA: 3.7
  • Certificates: Various certificates regarding health economics, cannabis medicine, etc. from academic institutions
Work experience:
  • Clinical research - 3 years at NIH and Johns Hopkins, resulting in many publications and presentations
    • The highlight of my career so far. Loved everyone and the patients I worked with.
  • Pharmaceutical industry - 1.5 years; guide marketing strategy for big brands that changed the game for so many patients and doctors
    • Pursued this because I was baffled by the lack of access patients had to some drugs and devices, and that physicians don't quite know how a drug/device gets in front of them
  • Pro-bono executive at a nonprofit healthcare system "start-up" - 2 years; I've helped see the success of 5 clinics around the US, along with research and medical education efforts
    • Building something greater than myself, and that I knew would effectuate change slowly but surely, was a very satisfying application of my MBA.
Clinical/volunteering exposure:
  • Undergrad: Significant shadowing experience; and non-clinical but healthcare volunteering
  • After undergrad: Clinical exposure to patients during work; clinical and research volunteering with underserved populations incl overseas experience (through a very weird routine of pro-bono volunteering for 3 months after working a year); pro-bono executive (mentioned above)
Motivation:
  • I never stopped thinking about patients. I am leaving my present line of work because I've reached an age where I have to ask myself if I am happy with a future without direct patient care and being able to learn from them and give to them (answer: no, I am not happy).
  • When I graduated undergrad, I wanted to continue learning about our healthcare system and the major players in the space. Really loved everything I did from clinical research to supporting the success of my pharma brands and my clinic directors.
  • I now have enough of an understanding/exposure to the healthcare system (e.g., academic hospitals, pharma, private practice, insurers) that I am happy stepping away from other roles in healthcare (which also provide a good life!) to focus on medical training. Had you asked me this a year and a half ago, I would have been uncomfortable because I had a lot of curiosity about pharma.

I thank you very deeply for taking the time to read this and leave me some feedback. You may have some idea of how much your feedback means to a non-traditional applicant, but I want to reiterate my appreciation. Since I don't see that many of us (vs traditional applicants), it sometimes makes me think I am crazy for wanting to pursue a medical career (not to even mention an academic career). But at my place in life right now, I just want to be somewhere where I can effectuate positive change and be able to use all my skills for patients.

Sincerely,
Your neighbor

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You sound like an exceptionally strong candidate.

I would tone down the "I wanted to go pharma to understand the healthcare system before becoming a doctor" because that sounds kind of silly and even if it's true for yourself I think it would make someone wonder whether you know what clinical medicine is really like.

i think you would get into a really good school assuming you crushed the MCAT, but your GPA might keep you out of places like your alma mater.

if that bolded line in your motivations section is true, then I don't think you should really care about tier/rankings though. It's not completely in your control, just put together your best app and I mean yeah you're great, so you'll get in somewhere and you can probably do research no matter where you go - it just might not be at Harvard, but who freaking cares.

Hi SDN,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm fully aware this post may identify me, but I want to present my situation as clearly and completely as possible in order to receive the best feedback. I am a non-traditional applicant exiting the pharmaceutical industry where I held a marketing role (think: how much can I price this drug or device?). I've browsed so many articles and threads about non-traditional applicants, and there are some common themes but also a lot of variability. I am hoping to apply to medical school next cycle (entry 2022). My biggest concerns are:
  • Assuming I get a competitive MCAT, do I stand a chance at gaining entry to some of the "higher tier" medical schools? (That could potentially open the doors for an academic medical career).
    • Note: I am aware that there are a lot of built-in assumptions to this question which may not be true in reality (e.g., one has to go to a high tier med school to get an academic medical career; "tier" of medical school matters for non-traditional students). The reason I am so gung-ho about an academic career is because of all my mentors who inspire me in that space; and I'd like to get involved in pushing the boundaries of care.
  • How big of an issue is my undergraduate GPA? Do I need to mitigate this risk with a post-baccalaureate program?
Brief background (the story is weird, so I appreciate you reading this piece of "therapy")

Academic:
  • Undergraduate (2014): BS, Johns Hopkins. cGPA: 3.5 (science GPA is very close to cGPA). completed pre-med coursework and have advanced science courses.
    • Upward trend; I got distracted during this time by research and I am better at time-management now
  • Graduate: Joint MPH and MBA program in 2 years, Johns Hopkins. cGPA: 3.7
  • Certificates: Various certificates regarding health economics, cannabis medicine, etc. from academic institutions
Work experience:
  • Clinical research - 3 years at NIH and Johns Hopkins, resulting in many publications and presentations
    • The highlight of my career so far. Loved everyone and the patients I worked with.
  • Pharmaceutical industry - 1.5 years; guide marketing strategy for big brands that changed the game for so many patients and doctors
    • Pursued this because I was baffled by the lack of access patients had to some drugs and devices, and that physicians don't quite know how a drug/device gets in front of them
  • Pro-bono executive at a nonprofit healthcare system "start-up" - 2 years; I've helped see the success of 5 clinics around the US, along with research and medical education efforts
    • Building something greater than myself, and that I knew would effectuate change slowly but surely, was a very satisfying application of my MBA.
Clinical/volunteering exposure:
  • Undergrad: Significant shadowing experience; and non-clinical but healthcare volunteering
  • After undergrad: Clinical exposure to patients during work; clinical and research volunteering with underserved populations incl overseas experience (through a very weird routine of pro-bono volunteering for 3 months after working a year); pro-bono executive (mentioned above)
Motivation:
  • I never stopped thinking about patients. I am leaving my present line of work because I've reached an age where I have to ask myself if I am happy with a future without direct patient care and being able to learn from them and give to them (answer: no, I am not happy).
  • When I graduated undergrad, I wanted to continue learning about our healthcare system and the major players in the space. Really loved everything I did from clinical research to supporting the success of my pharma brands and my clinic directors.
  • I now have enough of an understanding/exposure to the healthcare system (e.g., academic hospitals, pharma, private practice, insurers) that I am happy stepping away from other roles in healthcare (which also provide a good life!) to focus on medical training. Had you asked me this a year and a half ago, I would have been uncomfortable because I had a lot of curiosity about pharma.

I thank you very deeply for taking the time to read this and leave me some feedback. You may have some idea of how much your feedback means to a non-traditional applicant, but I want to reiterate my appreciation. Since I don't see that many of us (vs traditional applicants), it sometimes makes me think I am crazy for wanting to pursue a medical career (not to even mention an academic career). But at my place in life right now, I just want to be somewhere where I can effectuate positive change and be able to use all my skills for patients.

Sincerely,
Your neighbor
The MBA and MPH won't help your app. So your cGPA MAY keep you out of the Really Top Schools. What are your year by year GPAs?

Once you have an MCAT score, we can advise on a school list.