Careers for science nerd-extroverts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pssowers34

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would absolutely love a career that somehow involved lots of both people interaction and complex science/math. Sometimes it seems that I have to choose between being "stuck in a lab" all day or interacting with lots of people but not using much interesting science or math on a daily basis. Is there a career that both interacts with people and is fit for total nerds like me? Is that what a physician does?
Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Toxicologists use a lot of chemistry in their day-to-day work, and sometimes they do "detective-like" problem solving.

You want a field with lots of nerddom, hang out Nephrologists. Tons of physics in Orthopaedics. As noted above, toxicology is orgo plus an MD basically and is a lot of fun. As someone who had a bachelor's in chemistry, I loved my tox rotation. Involves lots of critical thinking as well.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe anesthesia too. Lots of pharmacology, pressure/volume dynamics, imaging techniques (TEE, doppler), basically more than one kind of physics haha. There is so much research going on in that field, it's nuts. Plus, lots of patient interaction with high turnover (pre-op, post-op, etc) and if you go into pain clinical work, you can work with patients in the long term.

Reactions: 1 user
Cardiology! Lots of critical care/hemodynamics, tons of imaging modalities, cutting edge research and diverse procedures. Only caveat is doing a 3 year medicine residency prior :sick:

Diagnostic imaging in an academic medical center. Lots of opportunity to work with device developers on new technology (hardware & software) for development of 3D imaging and so forth. Patient interactions are episodic and short but you can do a ton of long-term collaboration with fellow nerds.

Hi everyone,
I would absolutely love a career that somehow involved lots of both people interaction and complex science/math. Sometimes it seems that I have to choose between being "stuck in a lab" all day or interacting with lots of people but not using much interesting science or math on a daily basis. Is there a career that both interacts with people and is fit for total nerds like me? Is that what a physician does?
Thanks so much in advance!
Interventional rads

Thank you for your help, everyone! I will look into those fields.