Jan 13, 2021
Hi everyone,
I would absolutely love a career that somehow involved lots of both people interaction and complex science/math. Sometimes it seems that I have to choose between being "stuck in a lab" all day or interacting with lots of people but not using much interesting science or math on a daily basis. Is there a career that both interacts with people and is fit for total nerds like me? Is that what a physician does?
Thanks so much in advance!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
You want a field with lots of nerddom, hang out Nephrologists. Tons of physics in Orthopaedics. As noted above, toxicology is orgo plus an MD basically and is a lot of fun. As someone who had a bachelor's in chemistry, I loved my tox rotation. Involves lots of critical thinking as well.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

About the Ads
Mar 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe anesthesia too. Lots of pharmacology, pressure/volume dynamics, imaging techniques (TEE, doppler), basically more than one kind of physics haha. There is so much research going on in that field, it's nuts. Plus, lots of patient interaction with high turnover (pre-op, post-op, etc) and if you go into pain clinical work, you can work with patients in the long term.

Reactions: 1 user

ewax

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Cardiology! Lots of critical care/hemodynamics, tons of imaging modalities, cutting edge research and diverse procedures. Only caveat is doing a 3 year medicine residency prior :sick:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Diagnostic imaging in an academic medical center. Lots of opportunity to work with device developers on new technology (hardware & software) for development of 3D imaging and so forth. Patient interactions are episodic and short but you can do a ton of long-term collaboration with fellow nerds.

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
conscious to a flood
Hi everyone,
I would absolutely love a career that somehow involved lots of both people interaction and complex science/math. Sometimes it seems that I have to choose between being "stuck in a lab" all day or interacting with lots of people but not using much interesting science or math on a daily basis. Is there a career that both interacts with people and is fit for total nerds like me? Is that what a physician does?
Thanks so much in advance!
Interventional rads

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.