Caregiver for client with CP: activity classification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highdesertarcher95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past 4 years I have been working as a caregiver for a client with cerebral palsy. My duties include feeding him his meals with his medications and supplements, cleaning him up if he soils himself, bathing, assisting with his physical therapy exercises, and socializing with him in and out of his house. I am wondering if this would count as clinical experience or not? I don't think it will make much of a difference in my application if it is or isn't. I have plenty of clinical experience on top of this. Thanks in advance for any possible input!

Members don't see this ad.

For the past 4 years I have been working as a caregiver for a client with cerebral palsy. My duties include feeding him his meals with his medications and supplements, cleaning him up if he soils himself, bathing, assisting with his physical therapy exercises, and socializing with him in and out of his house. I am wondering if this would count as clinical experience or not? I don't think it will make much of a difference in my application if it is or isn't. I have plenty of clinical experience on top of this. Thanks in advance for any possible input!
Some of your duties would be considered an active "clinical" experience like administering medication and guiding physical therapy exercise, but this is a small portion of your job. A great percent of the time, you are caring for a "client," not a patient. I suggest that you list this as Employment-Not Medical/Clinical and let each adcomm decide for themselves to what degree it edges into the clinical realm. It's best not to oversell an activity when many adcomms won't agree with that categorization.

Reactions: 2 users