Factor in being in your second career and having 3+ kids in their preteens/teenage years, and then add on a $3,000+ payment to your loans each month. It was hard for me to imagine until seeing a family friend go through it. The whole "median household" argument is complete BS to me. We're also having a monthly loan payment that's more than the average citizen makes in a month. We also get taxed the s*** out of on top of that. Not to mention our job requires much more stress and hours than "the average American". My friend is in his early 40s and doesn't have 4+ more years to throw away and not enjoy life with his kids and wife. They slid by in medical school on loans and continued it in residency. At some point, it's just not worth it. Some quit, some become so negative they're impossible to be around, and some commit suicide from the stress of it all and their dream being smothered by a dollar hanging over their head.
The COA for medical is a huge load of crap, and if you can't see that as a top factor for suicide amongst our friends/classmates, then I'm really not sure what else to say.
Kudos for pointing this out
yes, the median household argument, defense, whatever you want to call it is horsesh-t
I'm in my 40s. I have been practicing both hospital and office based oral and maxillofacial surgery for 7 yrs. I am a sole income provider.
I have 3 kids.
my numbers:
340,000 pretax income MINUS...
35,000 malpractice premium
20,000 life insurance premium
6,000 homeowners insurance
4,000 a month for my medical and dental and wifes grad loans (~48,000 a yr)
1,500 a month for private health insurance for 5 (knock on wood) very healthy people (~18,000 a yr)
4,000 a yr for disability insurance premium
4,400 a yr for automotive insurance
~ 3,500 a yr DEA, state license, association fees around
I travel around to different offices , sometimes 2 hours a part. Travel around 2,500 -3,000 miles a month. You can imagine the travel costs
Schooling costs for kids
Then you have cost of living - food, utilities, clothing, monthly car payment, unanticipated costs such as major plumbing/electrical disasters
total PRETAX income after all that is ~100,000. then you have retirement savings, college savings for kids.
lets say I'm in the 35% income bracket.
Do the math.
"the almighty dollar" is a monkey constantly hanging on my back
of course, I am not complaining and not in financial dire straits. however finances can weight heavily on an individual, and depending on how one copes, one may see it as a hole they will never crawl out of. If there is no emotional support from family, friends, intervention by a medical professional, one may very well wander down the wrong path.