Caribbean Matriculate for January 2019 while applying to US Fall 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelseafan0800

Reaction score
If I were to apply to US medical schools in this cycle (admission for Fall 2019), then attend a Caribbean medical school in January 2019, and dropout of the Caribbean, if I get accepted into a US medial school for Fall 2019, could I just never disclose the fact I went to Caribbean and dropped out or must that be shared with the US medical school?

The reason behind this is I feel as though I am a very weak candidate for any US medical school and would rather have already started school in the Caribbean if I were to not get in the US. BUT I don’t want to further hurt my chances for US medical school by having spent January 2019 to June 2019 in the Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a bad idea. This will be expensive. Also, at some point, schools want you to disclose if you have ever matriculated to a medical school before. Depending on where this lands during that timeframe you would be lying.

Sounds like in the list of reasons for going Caribbean, you land in the category of inability to delay gratification.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not do an SMP with a program at a medical school? CWRU accepts fall and spring applicants. That way you take medical school courses, for similar or less $$$, all-the-while not screwing yourself over by attending a medical school in the Caribbean.

Also, you can put in your AMCAS that you're attending a program; so if you don't get in, then you can establish a 3.7+ GPA. Then you'll have a marked improvement on your app to justify applying the cycle right after

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to apply to US medical schools in this cycle (admission for Fall 2019), then attend a Caribbean medical school in January 2019, and dropout of the Caribbean, if I get accepted into a US medial school for Fall 2019, could I just never disclose the fact I went to Caribbean and dropped out or must that be shared with the US medical school?

The reason behind this is I feel as though I am a very weak candidate for any US medical school and would rather have already started school in the Caribbean if I were to not get in the US. BUT I don’t want to further hurt my chances for US medical school by having spent January 2019 to June 2019 in the Caribbean.
DOA at my school.
Just do an SMP.

Reactions: 3 users
To reiterate what others are saying, I would be hesitant with the Caribbean option. I'm sure you have done your research and are aware of the risks, though.

To answer your question, even if you were to use Caribbean as a back-up, you should apply for Fall 2019 matriculation in Caribbean. That way you don't have to drop out/pay for an unnecessary semester and deal with the disclosure issue. You'd be able to see your cycle through properly. The thing is, even if you start January 2019, residency timelines still operate on the assumption you're graduating in the spring, so it's not like you'll become a doctor that much faster...you'd just have some months off prior to residency (during which time you'd have to work or find a way to pay the bills I'm guessing). Better to just matriculate Fall 2019 wherever you go.

This is the type of idea a Caribbean medical student has

Why reply with such a pointless, idiotic, and flat out rude comment. Thanks for making me feel worse about my situation than I already have. Such a great person you are.

1) You must disclose that you matriculated a medical school; failure you to do so would be an ethical violation and subject to both action by AMCAS and any medical school.
2) If you use loans to attend the off shore medical school they likely will show up on the NSCH
3) If you start a medical school and then drop out it raises serious flags that your are not committed to a long term program
4) If you follow thru with this idiotic idea, you will likely not be accepted to a US school

This is why I asked the question, but thanks for letting me know your personal opinion is that this is idiotic. Very insightful. I had no clue about this disclosure statement. So thanks for clarifying.

To reiterate what others are saying, I would be hesitant with the Caribbean option. I'm sure you have done your research and are aware of the risks, though.

To answer your question, even if you were to use Caribbean as a back-up, you should apply for Fall 2019 matriculation in Caribbean. That way you don't have to drop out/pay for an unnecessary semester and deal with the disclosure issue. You'd be able to see your cycle through properly. The thing is, even if you start January 2019, residency timelines still operate on the assumption you're graduating in the spring, so it's not like you'll become a doctor that much faster...you'd just have some months off prior to residency (during which time you'd have to work or find a way to pay the bills I'm guessing). Better to just matriculate Fall 2019 wherever you go.

Thank you! I appreciate your ability to explain in a polite way.

How will you interview for US schools and attend and do well in classes on some island in the Caribbean?

This is a terrible idea. If you feel like you are a weak candidate for any US school, then strengthen your application before applying!

lol sorry bud as soon as you say Carib... everyone turns red and green and green and red. And it's the internet so THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS and those questions will be intensely punished. But they're saving you from literally ruining your life. xoxo

Always the same pattern:

1. Join SDN
2. Initial post has key words of: Caribbean, MD vs DO, "My friend"
3. Indignation and / or banning
4. Repeat

Reactions: 2 users

I don't think that's such a good idea. I think you're required to disclose if you previously matriculated to another school and some schools say you're ineligible for admission if you've previously matriculated. The fact that you want to find out if you can withhold that information from schools suggests that you know you're doing something wrong. If you really want to go to a US medical school (sounds like you really do) Then take everyone's advice and do an SMP or something to improve your app. Doing what you plan on doing will forever destroy your chances at a US medical school because lying on an app doesn't look good and they will find out you lied.

Why do you think you're a weak candidate? GPA? MCAT?

bro dont go caribbean. Be an NP or PA before going out there. Dont throw 200k to live on an island with suboptimal chance to get back to the states.

just work on your app, even if you have a low GPA just go hard on retaking the MCAT and you can easily squeeze into a DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, what’s wrong with your application? Generally, people are urged to stay away from the carribean, and with good reason.

Low GPA fine MCAT? SMP might be the right path

Fine GPA and MCAT? Taking a year to buff up your ECs might be in order.

Low MCAT high GPA? Retake the MCAT.

If all else fails, you could always look into Podiatry. That will give you a better chance of practicing as a doctor in the United States than graduating from a carribean school would.