Caribbean med student to derm resident.

Started by Dr.LX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The difference is that the majority of people take other's examples, or make their own assumptions on this forum and use those to explain why people shouldn't go abroad. I came here to offer my OWN experience, and because there are a lot of pre-meds that have questions. The fact that people were shocked that I gave up a US med school spot for Ross means there is a lot of work that needs to be done to change stereotypes. But thank you for being polite🙂

Well...as you've already seen from a lot of the previous posters (many of whom are the major frequents of this site), many of the arguments used to encourage other options besides the Caribbean are actually based on statistics, not anecdotes. Just as you warned in a previous post about being wary of the "1 in thousands" example, a lot of the posters on this thread (and SDN at large) will do just that, with regard to your own experience that you've shared here.

So, it then comes down to your claim on certain statistics you've raised yourself, which have conflicted with the statistics many other posters have shared. If you're going to keep firing down this path, then please cite your sources (as previous posters have done) and provide the objective dataset that we can analyze ourselves. And no, you being a student there doesn't lend ANY credibility to that claim (if anything, that'll make us even more suspicious).
 
Okay, here is a legitimate question: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...s-enforcement-action-against-devry-university
There is a lawsuit against Devry for using false information and statistics in order to deceive prospective students. Do you think these practices leak over to the administration at Ross whose parent company is Devry? If not, what evidence do you have to that reasoning?

In light of this action against Devry and the recent crackdown on for-profit schools, do you think there is a risk of Ross students losing the ability to take out federal loans?

Why have the school in the Carib if rotations are done in the US? Wouldn't it be easier for schooling to be done all in the same country?

When I have a statistic that 95+ matched, and also the stories of my friends' future careers, I can't help but feel that Ross is a good choice for many people. I have no clue about loans, as I did not take any out.
Caribbean hospitals serve tiny and more impoverished areas than hospitals in America. It makes sense to do rotations in a bigger hospital setting.
 
When I have a statistic that 95+ matched, and also the stories of my friends' future careers, I can't help but feel that Ross is a good choice for many people. I have no clue about loans, as I did not take any out.
Caribbean hospitals serve tiny and more impoverished areas than hospitals in America. It makes sense to do rotations in a bigger hospital setting.
95% of those who apply to the match or 95% of those who matriculate? because it's not the latter...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I have a statistic that 95+ matched, and also the stories of my friends' future careers, I can't help but feel that Ross is a good choice for many people. I have no clue about loans, as I did not take any out.
Caribbean hospitals serve tiny and more impoverished areas than hospitals in America. It makes sense to do rotations in a bigger hospital setting.
That isn't evidence. Devry has been shown to exaggerate or lie about statistics. What reason would you give prospective pre-meds to believe that the same thing isn't being done with that 95% statistic? If that number is accurate, why doesn't Ross release the data tracing the starting matriculants' progress all the way to the match?
 
I have already typed this many times: the match rate for my class was greater than 95%. So I wouldn't call it an uphill battle.

And for the third time, the website for Ross reports "the first-attempt residency attainment rate for RUSM students was 88 percent."

This both differs in percent from your statement and from calling it "the first-attempt residency attainment rate" as opposed to match rate, which implies the nothing more than in first residency cycle that the residency applicant put in for.


Would you please respond to this?
 
And for the third time, the website for Ross reports "the first-attempt residency attainment rate for RUSM students was 88 percent."

This both differs in percent from your statement and from calling it "the first-attempt residency attainment rate" as opposed to match rate, which implies the nothing more than in first residency cycle that the residency applicant put in for.


Would you please respond to this?

Yes and this was last year's statistic.
 
That isn't evidence. Devry has been shown to exaggerate or lie about statistics. What reason would you give prospective pre-meds to believe that the same thing isn't being done with that 95% statistic? If that number is accurate, why doesn't Ross release the data tracing the starting matriculants' progress all the way to the match?

Considering I went to the school, I think I could tell if a huge number of students don't make it to the match.
 
95% of those who apply to the match or 95% of those who matriculate? because it's not the latter...

I've already addressed this further back. I'm not going to continue to repeat myself.
 
When I have a statistic that 95+ matched, and also the stories of my friends' future careers, I can't help but feel that Ross is a good choice for many people. I have no clue about loans, as I did not take any out.
Caribbean hospitals serve tiny and more impoverished areas than hospitals in America. It makes sense to do rotations in a bigger hospital setting.

How did you finance your medical education?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes and this was last year's statistic.

Ross itself has stated on their website that they are still compiling residencies for 2016. Please explain how you have access to this information that Ross itself indicates it doesnt have.

http://medical.rossu.edu/medical-school/graduates.cfm
Congratulations to all RUSM students and graduates who earned residencies during the 2016 NRMP Residency Match. See below for a preliminary list of residencies our graduates attained in 2016. Please note that the 2016 list is not yet complete; we will add more placements to the list as reports come in.
 
Lets for one minute assume that what you say is true. All this goes out the window in 2020. with a unified match. PD's will mostly prefer US MD> US DO > Sackler > IMG. You decrease the # of residencies, each spot becomes more competitive, and in a free for all world with that hierarchy of preference, IMG will get shut out significantly more.

There is also the idea that if you have <3.0 GPA, <24ish MCAT, then are you capable of handling a medical school curriculum and succeeding as a physician. It's not as easy as saying "oh I'll change my studying habits or I got unlucky on my MCAT". Not to sound rude, but having <3.0 implies that one either has significant studying/work ethic problems, or just does not have the capability of succeeding in that particular field. Compound that with a low MCAT and you have a recipe for failure. That then begs the question, is somebody like that "fit" to be a physician. You state that there have been plenty of physicians that have come through the Caribbean but you fail to understand that the environment that was even 10 years ago is significantly different than what it is now in terms of applicant competitiveness. Back in the day, a 28 could land you a solid US MD school. Now, a 28 is pushing even being accepted into a low tier MD school. US MD/DO applicant competitiveness is increasing (and in my opinion, this implies that your average applicant is smarter on the intelligence scale), but Caribbean remains stagnant. With this, US MD / DO students will be significantly more successful than Caribbean students, and you're seeing that with the decrease in # of Caribbean students landing competitive residencies in the Match.
 
Considering I went to the school, I think I could tell if a huge number of students don't make it to the match.
My undergrad had around the same number of students per graduating class and I had no idea what most of my class was up to- maybe I need to be more social. But I'm impressed at your ability to know and track the plans over 800 students- especially since the program starts at 2 different times each year and once you get to clinicals, Ross students are spread out all over the place.

Thank you for personally counting your classmates and their outcomes in order to convincingly verify that Ross' statistic is accurate for future pre-meds!
 
My undergrad had around the same number of students per graduating class and I had no idea what most of my class was up to- maybe I need to be more social. But I'm impressed at your ability to know and track the plans over 800 students- especially since the program starts at 2 different times each year and once you get to clinicals, Ross students are spread out all over the place.

Thank you for personally counting your classmates and their outcomes in order to convincingly verify that Ross' statistic is accurate for future pre-meds!

Lol no problem!
 
I'm really happy I started this thread. I have received messages from several pre-meds who have questions about Ross, but feel the environment on this forum is not conducive to discourse about Carib. schools. So thank you everyone who has responded, whether you were polite or not🙂
 
Here is what DeVry Medical International says about itself in Security and Exchange Commission filings

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/730464/000119312512372041/d365898d10k.htm#tx365898_2
Recently adopted ED rules significantly broaden an educational institution’s liability for “substantial misrepresentation” that, among other things, subject us to sanctions for statements containing inadvertent errors made to non-students, including any member of the public, impose vicarious liability on us for the conduct of others, and expose us to liability even when no actual harm occurs. It is possible that despite our efforts to prevent such misrepresentations, our employees or service providers may make statements that could be construed as substantial misrepresentations. As a result, we may face complaints from students and prospective students over statements made by us and our agents throughout the enrollment, admissions and financial aid process, as well as throughout attendance at any of our U.S. degree granting schools, which would expose us to increased risk of enforcement action and applicable sanctions or other penalties and increased risk of private qui tam actions under the Federal False Claims Act. If the ED determines that an institution has engaged in substantial misrepresentation, the ED may revoke an institution’s agreement to participate in the ED’s Title IV programs, impose limitations on the institution’s participation in Title IV programs, deny applications from the institution for approval of new programs or locations or other matters, or initiate proceedings to fine the institution or limit, suspend, or terminate its eligibility to participate in Title IV programs. If the ED determines that statements made by us or on our behalf are in violation of the new regulations, we could be subject to sanctions and other liability, which could have a material adverse effect on financial condition, results of operations, cash flows and stock price.
 
An old coworker of mine just matched into Family Medicine who happened to graduate from Ross as the same year as OP. Unfortunately for that person, he/she "really" wanted to get into Emergency Medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really happy I started this thread. I have received messages from several pre-meds who have questions about Ross, but feel the environment on this forum is not conducive to discourse about Carib. schools. So thank you everyone who has responded, whether you were polite or not🙂
I hope you are able to offer useful guidance.

Ultimately, students have the right to choose where they would like to attend school. SDN is just trying to lay out the facts about all the options, so students can make an empowered decision.
 
An old coworker of mine just matched into Family Medicine who happened to graduate from Ross as the same year as OP. Unfortunately for that person, he/she "really" wanted to get into Emergency Medicine.

That's too bad for your coworker. A lot of students at med schools in America don't get into the field they want either.
 
I hope you are able to offer useful guidance.

Ultimately, students have the right to choose where they would like to attend school. SDN is just trying to lay out the facts about all the options, so students can make an empowered decision.

I 100% agree with you. Unfortunately, discussions about Carib. schools on SDN are mostly one sided.
 
That's too bad for your coworker. A lot of students at med schools in America don't get into the field they want either.

You'd figure that person would at least get a "shot" with scores that are on par with those who have matched and long work history in Emergency Dept.
 
So your coworker from Ross was one of the 7% that didn't get in. Like I said- people from US med schools don't always get into the field of their choice.

1) not the person whose coworker that was

2) this was using the data for US seniors only. For independent applicants (including Caribbean applicants), only 59% matched (source is same as above)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You'd figure that person would at least get a "shot" with scores that are on par with those who have matched and long work history in Emergency Dept.

We're not ever guaranteed anything in life! My friend from Brown Med didn't get the derm position she worked her butt off for. Life happens.
 
Thank you for everyone who has had genuine polite questions! Threads like these are what start dialogue which isn't one sided🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.